PDA

View Full Version : Cut path with feather

dbfletcher
09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
This may be a dumb question, but I used to always just outline patterns and then do a cut path with one pass cutting to full depth. After seeing numerous posts that you are much less likely to see bit breakage if you keep your passes down to .15-.20 when cutting materials such as oak, i started following this advice.

My question is, depending on the depth of the pattern and the feather, alot of times the first pass or two of the cutting bit is cutting nothing but air. is there any setting or tricks I can use to get it to skip the shallow passes if the material has already been removed via feather or other operations.

Doug Fletcher

DocWheeler
09-19-2009, 08:31 PM
alot of times the first pass or two of the cutting bit is cutting nothing but air. is there any setting or tricks I can use to get it to skip the shallow passes if the material has already been removed via feather or other operations.

Doug,

The firmware is not that sophisticated to know what has been carved away. I think it would be playing it safe for it to assume that the material, that once was there, is still there. An error in the logic could break a bit - or worse. Just my thoughts about it.