PDA

View Full Version : help with my machine

davidbf
09-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Hello Fellow Carvers,
I'm having more trouble with my machine. It dosent measure the boards right.
A 14 inch board measures 9 inches by the machine.
I have reset the head pressure it was 120 pounds.
i had to reset it 2 times to get it to 85 pounds like LHR told me to.
so whats next.

i need help on this one, i'm in the middle of a order for someone and would
hate to have to tell her i can't finish.

davidbf

dbfletcher
09-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I assume you have checked the usual...

* O-ring on brass roller
* masking tape on bottom of board
* board not cupped
* board straight and over brass roller

If all of those are ok, you might want to try the calibration routines.. but if it is measureing all over the place.. I wouldn't think calibration would change much.

I am pretty sure... brass roller is the "king" when it comes to measuring lengthwise.

Edit: I just realized you didnt specify which way you where measuring.. lets start there first. Length or Width?

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I know the MATH is not right but ARE you sure you are not telling it to STAY UNDER the ROLLERS and it is subtracting 7 inches from your real wood and scaling your project?

7 inch rule of wood..... It's all in Tips and Tricks....

AL

Pratyeka
09-20-2009, 06:50 AM
don't forget to check for sawdust between the brass roller holder and the fixed guide, that will prevent the roller from touching firmly the bottom of the board.

hogiewan
09-20-2009, 08:19 AM
I was having the same problems yesterday. After getting the carve to start, the back and front didn't line up and there were skipped sections on the board. I'm pretty sure the board had bad edges, but I didn't notice at first. I may run a jointing operation on the edge(s) next time before carving.

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Masking tape is your friend.... Every project without fail.... The cost of the wood on your failed product could have bought how much tape....

Masking tape is just good insurance....

Place is on the board at the Brass Roller Track.

AL

davidbf
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi dbfletcher
you're right i did'nt say but it is measuring ok on the width the length is where i am having trouble. i am using masking tape and have picked a straight and flat board.
I took the board sensor out last night and cleaned all the saw dust out with a can of air i use on my computers. I noticed the little rubber board tracking sensor damper spring is missing. i remember finding something like this about three weeks ago and i think i put with my vacume hoses { thats what it looked like } I was working on a car at the time.
now i am trying to find the demintions of this piece so i can put it back in, but the maching still carves ok for now it just wont measure right. i think that's the whole story

davidbf
09-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi,
And thanks for the input. I do put masking tape on everything i cut. The brass roller turns freely,but not as freely as it used to. I cleaned the sawdust out of the board sensor. is there any way to loosen the brass roller so it rolls easier. One more thing do you know the dementions of the BOARD TRACKING SENSOR DAMPER SPRING. Mine is missing and if i knew the length i could replace it. I've looked on the parts list and found it but not a description. if anyone knows that would be helpful.

AND THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TRIED TO ANSWER MY PLEAS FOR HELP.
I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT

dbfletcher
09-21-2009, 08:57 AM
A few weeks ago my brass roller wasnt spinning like it used to either. The problem with mine was the rubber o-ring had moved out of the groove and was slightly rubbing against the sandpaper belt. You might want to look at that as well.

Doug Fletcher

davidbf
09-21-2009, 08:57 AM
TO DIGITALWOODSHOP
Yes sir i did tell it to stay under the rollers. The first time i used it i did'nt and ended up with a very little carving and was confused for a while. But thanks