PDA

View Full Version : New CW support

andes
09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Ok, I just received the CW Corner news letter, wanted to make sure I was understanding what I read.

If your machine is no longer under warrenty, you will have to pay $25 for each incident (not sure if that means you can call in for multi issues at one time or if each issue is a different trouble ticket, $25 per ticket), unless you become a member of the carvers club, which is $150 a year. This gives you free phone support (which isn't really free, because you pay $150 a year for support) and 25% off labor and repairs. A discount off on a few other things. Not sure if this is an inhance monthly project package or not.

So this comes to about $12.50 a month. what's everyones thoughts on this. I haven't really decided if it good or bad yet -- still soaking it in.

Steven Alford
09-18-2009, 09:14 PM
As Jeff Britt says, most CNC machine makers do the same thing and their charges are reasonable, considering what they are offering.
I personally think that it is their way of weeding out the unnecessary calls; you will think twice before calling support and try to fix it yourself or use the forum. All in all, I think it will make phone support better because you will be able to get through easier.

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I will be adding a PAY PAL ( PAY pAL ) block to my Repair Answers.... Donations Accepted.... :p

Answers R Us..... May not be right but a answer is an answer.....

AL

Edit:.. Just Kidding..... :mrgreen:

Jeff_Birt
09-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Deep thoughts, by Jeff Birt...

Once upon a time I used to provide some telephone support for machines that could be 100 times the cost and complexity of a CarveWright machine. While we would answer some simple questions gratis when things started to get technical we would ask, in a very polite manner, something like, "Do you have a multi-meter and so you know how to use it." The answer to that question would be the key to deciding how to proceed. If the caller did not know how to use a meter or read a schematic then the best course of action was to have a technician look at the machine. Hours spent on the phone trying to talk someone through a task a step at a time is terribly frustrating to both parties.

A few weeks ago I had to send a motion control board for a large CNC machine in to be tested and repaired. Just this one little circuit board costs more than the entire CarveWright machine and it is no more sophisticated than the CarveWright's control board. If CW were to charge proportionally as much the CW machine would cost $20,000. The testing of the board was free, repair would have been $600 or so. Due to the much higher upfront cost they can afford to be a bit more liberal with support.

To equate all of this to something we all have experience with: try calling your mechanic or car dealer and see if they will have a technician spend a few hours on the phone with you, for free, walking you through changing the spark plugs. I suspect they would laugh at you. You could however find about 10,000 websites that would explain how to change spark plugs and several 'How To' car repair books as well. (No this is not a perfect analogy but I bet you all get the point.)

In the past I have mentioned that I though many folks abused CW's generous phone support by not taking advantage of all the other sources for answers that are readily available. We all see the same questions pop up here on the forum that have been covered by the Machine Manual, an issue of Tips&Tricks one of the free tutorial videos or this very forum. (On of the responses to that was something like, "Well sometimes it is just easier to pick up the phone and call them than to do all that pesky reading myself."

So, I know I am rambling on...the point is that this is a big change. In the large scheme of things it is quite a bargain though. I just found out about this change the same way you guys did. I did a bit of research and found that yearly support for a single seat of software similar Designer was $1200. Another popular CNC control software package charges $45/hr for phone support. Paying $12.50 / month for free phone support, if it is something you think you might need, is quite a bargain in comparison. I dare say though that most answers can be found for free right here on the forum.

PCW
09-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Al

You may laugh but here is a chance to do what you like. You could be a Ron Justice in the repair end. Al's hot line. :-D

That reminds me of a business card
I saw the other day that read "We cheat the other person and pass the saving on to you"

c6craig
09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Jeff -

I have to agree with that, and i am one of the guilty parties. When I first started out with the machine I was hesitant to take forum advice when it came to ripping things apart on the machine.

Granted - it was the same advice tech support gave me but I felt better that it was coming right from the source. Nowadays, I find almost all my tech support help here on the forums, calls to tech support are basically reserved for when I am pretty sure I need a part...

Good points Jeff.

Craig

c6craig
09-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Al

You may laugh but here is a chance to do what you like. You could be a Ron Justice in the repair end. Al's hot line. :-D

That reminds me of a business card
I saw the other day that read "We cheat the other person and pass the saving on to you"

That's probably the best line I have heard for an advertisement :) Great marketing dept.

Craig

Woodhacker
09-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanx for that input Jeff. As of yet, I have not had to call in for help (except when my registration wouldn't take). I don't see anything wrong with paying a nominal fee for good tech support when you need it. So far, though, it seems all of my questions have been answered here. The level of expertise on this forum (and the willingness to share it) continues to amaze me. Not what you you usually find on any forum. There are a couple of other forums which also give good help with the CC/CW. I do sometimes go onto those, but mostly just stay right here.

Richard

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2009, 10:08 PM
My phone number is on my website and I don't mind phone calls, PM's or emails.

I have the payment for machine #4 in the mail, it needs repair.

It's 11 PM and I am listening to #1 doing a Cut Path on a 2.5 hour Wine Rack Carving.

Tired... Was printing Fire Tags until past midnight last night.... Ready to call it quits.

AL

c6craig
09-18-2009, 10:14 PM
My favorite was..... "We put the K in Kuality (Quality)....."

AL

LOL Al, makes me want to open another business just to steal that tag line :-D

Craig

mtylerfl
09-18-2009, 10:24 PM
LOL Al, makes me want to open another business just to steal that tag line :-D

Craig

I was thinking the same thing - I love that line!

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2009, 11:11 PM
You guys are Kuick.... I mean QUICK..... I deleted that post about Quality.... With a K.... Thought it was Corny.... From my San Diego days...

AL

geekviking
09-18-2009, 11:33 PM
It was Korny :)