PDA

View Full Version : New chuck!!

Steven Alford
09-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey, how about that gang, LHR is working on a new chuck design. I wonder where they got the idea from? A day late and a dollar short, but I am very glad to see them listening to us.

jlovchik jlovchik
CarveWright Staff

Default I was saving this announcemnt
I was saving the announcement but LHR has a new chuck in testing. It will be ready this fall.

Wild Bill
09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Will it be called the "Lovechuck?"

c6craig
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Will it be called the "Lovechuck?"

Personally I think that "LHR/Ron Justice Rock Chuck" has a nice ring to it....

:p

Craig

jlovchik
09-18-2009, 10:04 PM
"Lovechuck" I like it. Hahaha

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Where did you hear that?

Being that LHR invented the QC, this is a big deal..... With 3 contact points of the BB's it was doomed to early failure due to the pressures involved and the rotation speed. It was a GREAT Concept but it needed to have something like 20 bearings to spread out the load and provide reliability.

This is BIG..... Think of all the dollars spent on repair parts due to the QC vibration.... Board Detectors, Power Supplies, QC's, Bit Holders, X Termination Boards, Z Encoders and Z Motors just to name a few.... It has cost LHR Thousands and Thousands of dollars and Hours of Manpower on the Phones in MY opinion. It was the Front End Suspension System of the Corvair type situation... A new light weight suspension system on the Corvair failed in high speed turns killing many.... "Unsafe at any speed" Ralph Nader.... Looked goood on paper but in real world it failed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

AL

Steven Alford
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
It came from lovchik himself (carvwright staff) in another post about New Support. See my first post.

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I was working and only saw the first post.... WOW.... Lots of Opinions....

Lots of Changes....

AL

dbfletcher
09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
My only concern is that the new chuck isn't going to radically change the z-truck itself making the rock "obsolete" if we have to replace the z-truck down the line.

Options are always nice to have... I doubt Ron is making a killing on the rock, so I think there is still plenty of room out there for a new imporved qc chuck as well as the much loved rock many of us have purchased.

Doug Fletcher

Steven Alford
09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
You know, I'll bet that is exactly what they do; change the Z truck to fit only their new chuck and make it so we can't use our Rock Chuck if we ever have to order a new Z truck..

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think they would change the Truck.... I believe it will be a different but compatible chuck...

I think the Rock is safe....

AL

Pratyeka
09-19-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm willing to bet LHR will make the spindle incompatible to any third party chuck replacement. That and the new service fees are two more reasons that confirms my move to building my own cnc router is a good one.

Steven Alford
09-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Where is Ron?
I would sure like to hear his two cents worth on this.
In keeping with their proprietary machine, I firmly believe they will modify the spindle so that the Rock will not work (or any third party device) and we will be forced to go back to their new chuck, once our present Z truck fails and we have to order a new one. If I had the money, I would stock up on a few extra Z trucks of the present design.

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cent reply for what it's worth...:p It would be great if LHR just did away with the flex drive system all together and redesigned the machine to accept router mounting brackets of our choice for (Borch colt, Porta-cable, Dewalt..etc. ) routers. We could then use Rons chuck (the rock ), Eliminator chuck etc. But that would be just a pipe dream...I don't see that happening. :mad:

Weight is the issue with having to move around a heavy router. It would need a more robust drive system then you have a shop bot or shark.... More Expensive..... This model is designed to fit a need between a hand held router and a Shop Bot.... If you want more robust... you sell me your CW and buy a Shop Bot.... DO I hear $500.00 for a CW..... Going once... SOLD to Digitalwoodshop.... Even with #4 in the works... Having a 5th wouldn't be so bad..... This wine rack thing might work out BIG....

AL

mtylerfl
09-19-2009, 11:12 AM
...I would rather see them concentrate on sucking dust because this is the machines number 1 killer.

That's not accurate - I have two machines (almost three years old now), and do not run any type of dust collection system whatsoever. Worst dust "problems" I had is ONCE I had a cover switch that had dust in it (blew it out with air - fixed it), and TWICE I had a front "stuck roller" error (blew the switch area out with air - fixed that too!).

I think the main "killers" are:

1) letting projects leave the rollers (breaks bits, stresses truck, damages QC, etc.)

2) using cheap wood - warped, cupped, moist, twisted (leads to tracking problems, bit breakage, torn belts, etc.)

3) not seating the bit properly in the QC - by the way, I do not have any unusual complaint about the current QC's either - mine work just fine (incorrect bit seating leads to broken bits, QC damage, truck stress, poor quality carves, etc.)

4) putting a board in at a slight angle and/or the sliding plate is too tight against the board causing binding (leads to torn belts, truck stress, broken bits, etc.)

Any of the above can and will cause a problem that can lead to a host of other problems that often the user isn't even aware they caused themselves. Unfortunately, the machine and components are then blamed. To clarify, I am fully aware that not EVERY problem is pilot error (I think most of them are, though). Electronic failure sometimes occurs on its own - although, some of that can be traced to the user as well - static electricity can "zap" things too.

Just want to mention since the cat is already out of the bag, LHR is always working to improve an already great woodworking system. Spindle/QC development has been going on well before the "Rock" was introduced.

I also happen to know that Chris and Joe are spending much of their weekend (today) testing other new developments that are in the works.

LHR never sleeps - always trying to find a "better way" of doing things.

dbfletcher
09-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Personally, I dont think it is that a lot of people dont like the product... it is more of a love/hate relationship. But let me ask this.. and think about it very honestly before you answer. How many pieces of equipment/tools do you own where you have to spend nearly as much time maintaining them as you do using them??? If you can list even one besides the Carvewright, I'd be suprised. I know I own no other machines/tools that come even remotely close to TLC required by the carvewrights.

I'm sure a lot of the rants are merely an outlet of frustration about dropping 2K on a machine that seems to be down as often as it works. And yes, I am aware that there are several poeple who have machines then have been running for hundreds of hours nearly problem free. But I'm betting those people have also tore their machine down almost completely and reassembled to fix many of the shortcoming of when the machine left the plant in china. (I dont actually know that they are assembled in china, but i bleive other posts have mentioned that and I do know alot of the components are sourced from there).

I love the potential of the machine. But please dont kid yourself if you dont think it has some.... if not many engineering flaws.

Now with that being said, I have noticed the constant changes and attempt at improvment on LHR's part (for example, my first machine still had that little plastic 'bit flag' (i think it was called that) on the z-truck. I know that has long since been abandoned by LHR. An the software/firmware is constantly evolving and maturing.... and someday I think this is going to be an awesome, realiable, reassonable maintance machine.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I find it interesting that the people that make money from selling the machine and related products are so protective of it.

yea I think Jason comments seems harsh considering that I think i closed a deal for him yesterday, :) for that matter via email two additional new units this week non related to LRW. That's 3 baby.. now where is my o ring for the AUX roller it pooped off a few days ago.

LG

fwharris
09-19-2009, 02:32 PM
my comments were not intended to be harsh...... this just gets old.

What would be nice is a separate thread: I want to vent

For those who feel the need to do so. They could do it there and then not clog up the other threads and take the actual subject way off track!

fwharris
09-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I find it interesting that the people that make money from selling the machine and related products are so protective of it.

And would you expect other wise???

mtylerfl
09-19-2009, 03:15 PM

Hello PCW,

Ya know, it's kind of funny you bring that up. Coincidentally, I had just talked to Joe Lovchik yesterday and mentioned to him that I am sometimes hesitant to respond publicly to certain comments made about the CarveWright system - especially if I feel the need to shed a more positive light than what is sometimes portrayed.

The reason being, I told Joe, is that because most folks know I do make a little $ on patterns and projects and am also the Tips newsletter editor. That alone opens the door to some folks who may mistakenly think that I have lost all sense of objectivity. The way I put it to Joe is that some people may think I'm just a "company man" so to speak.

Anyway, Joe encouraged me and said, "Well, you're a regular customer, too!". I thought about that and told him he was right and that it didn't matter what people think - I will share my honest thoughts, opinions and experiences regardless. That's what I think I've always done, and that's what I hope to continue to do. The only difference might be that I won't have the hesitation I once had. (maybe)

Perhaps that will clear things up a little? Hope so.

dbfletcher
09-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I will share my honest thoughts, opinions and experiences regardless. That's what I think I've always done, and that's what I hope to continue to do.

I am pretty sure that is all others are trying to do as well. Just like woodworking skills, not everyone has the same mastery of the language. This is especially true when emotions are running high. I'm not a big fan of censorship, and as long as there is not vulgarity and is not an attack on an individual.. I feel their thoughts, opinions, and experiences should be allowed to be expressed. Obviously we all respect you abilities and talent.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
09-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I am sometimes hesitant to respond publicly to certain comments made about the CarveWright system -

With over 3000 posts somehow MT i do not think you will be accused not speaking your mind right or wrong :) :mrgreen: that's why it called a forum.. Weeee!

LG

SteveEJ
09-19-2009, 04:04 PM
LHR making improvements in their product is a good thing. Them charging for non-warranty calls is not unreasonable. Making a new chuck that requires a different Z-Truck would be a mistake.

With the world, as it is today, and the US being on the butt end of most things, it would make me really happy and proud if they (LHR) would use US Steel and an US manufacturer! That is my opinion though!

I was VERY excited when I bought this machine. I have been woodworking for a while and have several excellent craftsmen in the family to consult. The problem was that I didn't even get through the first carve before a switch failed. Then a few other things showed up. I stuck with it BUT I was still upset and needed to vent! There are still a few things that I would change or add to the software but hey, you can't have everything. Now, I have changed out the chuck to a Rock, cleaned and sealed some of the gear boxes and added a dust blower and downdraft system. Now, I have a pretty good system. It is still finiky (sp?) but I know what I can do with it and know its limits. Is it what I expected when I bought it? Yes and No.. Great quality output when working correctly but took too much user support to get to where it is today. Also, I was a bit suprised t say the least when I had a 5 day old machine and I was sent a switch and emailed directions as to how to change it myself. First time for everything I guess.

Would I buy another CW? Nope, I wouldn't. My wife would kill me! She said, and I have to agree, "If you spend that much money you would think the thing would work!" Is it for sale? Nope.. Now that most of the issues have been worked out I am going to keep that puppy and do some carving!

Don't take this too seriously, just another persons thoughts!

mtylerfl
09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
With over 3000 posts somehow MT i do not think you will be accused not speaking your mind right or wrong :) :mrgreen: that's why it called a forum.. Weeee!

LG

You definitely have a point there!! Gee whiz - I already talk too much!

mtylerfl
09-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Michael,

My comments was intended more in responds to another member's comment that has since been edited.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you are no exception to the rule. Having a voice doesn't make anyone right or wrong...

Thank you, PCW. Very true. I didn't really take it personally myself, 'cause I "know me". It was just so coincidental that it was sort of in-line with what I expressed to Joe yesterday, I decided to take the opportunity to 'xplain myself.

ChrisAlb
09-19-2009, 04:57 PM
well, all I know is, I better stock up on the original QC's then. I've been out of the loop here for some time so I don't know what these "changes" are but my QC has always worked just fine and I fully expect it always will.

If they're going to change the design of "other" components so the original won't fit anymore? That would stink in my opinion so I better order two more original QC's.

I have a new on there now so that would give me 3 new ones on the shelf which should be good for a "minimum" 1600 hours more....lol

wasacop75
09-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Is there something that LHR needs to come out and say?
We can all talk on here as to what is going to happen, but until
the manufacturer comes out and give some idea of what the change
may be, then all we are doing is second guessing.
They would be very smart to think about the Rock as an aftermarket
add or let us order w/o a qc and then install the Rock.

Now, have i had any problems with my machine in the 9 months?
Aside from the paper belts tearing and having to replace them, no..
I do get some strange things going on with the machine when it cant find the right depth on the bit, but shutting it off and restarting straightens that out.

We all knew from the start, if we had read anything on here before buying the machine, that there were maintenance/house keeping problems with the machine. Keep the machine clean, make sure you do the after carve cleanings, and make sure the bits are seated correctly and then its HAPPY CARVING!!!!:-D

jlovchik
09-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Ok,
I teased everyone yesterday with an early announcement of a new chuck in testing. Apparently I need to clarify my statement. This new chuck design will be an alternative to the QC and will use the same Ztruck. The QC will still continue to exist and be available. People will have a choice of what chuck they want to use. We are working diligently to get it out as soon as we can, but I think everyone would agree that making it a solid product is a high priority. This requires thousands of hours of testing doing everything we can think of that someone might try. I hope this will clarify things. Thank you,
Joe Lovchik

dbfletcher
09-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the explaination. however, the next logical question is will you start offering the bits, and full bit set with whatever ever adapter is required (or none) for the new chuck? Is it safe to assume the new chuck is closer to the rock as in no bit adapters may be needed at all?

Doug Fletcher

jlovchik
09-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Yes, there will be options on how to buy the bits.

Pratyeka
09-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Thank you for this clarification. Keeping the same threads on the spindle will make everyone happy.

dench
09-20-2009, 06:44 AM
i whish you people tested the old qc 1000 hours lol

ChrisAlb
09-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Ok,
I teased everyone yesterday with an early announcement of a new chuck in testing. Apparently I need to clarify my statement. This new chuck design will be an alternative to the QC and will use the same Ztruck. The QC will still continue to exist and be available. People will have a choice of what chuck they want to use. We are working diligently to get it out as soon as we can, but I think everyone would agree that making it a solid product is a high priority. This requires thousands of hours of testing doing everything we can think of that someone might try. I hope this will clarify things. Thank you,
Joe Lovchik

Way to go Joe (LHR)...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

It never ceases to amaze me how hard you folks work to make a GREAT product even better!

Still using the original design, still happy with it...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

lawrence
09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
jlovchik,
Thank you for the update. It is nice to see a timely, professional, response that clarified matters. Please keep up the work to improve your fine product.

Lawrence