PDA

View Full Version : Cannot crank the carving head down.

Lilly
09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi all,
I could use some help please. I have not used my machine in awhile but now I have a couple of signs to carve.

My problem is that when I use the hand crank to lower the head I can only crank it down until it comes in contact with the board but when I want to give it those extra 5 clicks...all of a sudden I can't tighten it down. Can I finish my project with out tightening it further? How do I know if it is toooooo tight? Do I have to adjust something...is something broken?

Thanks,
Lilly:(

cnsranch
09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Do you get the extra clicks? Does the message change on the keypad - if so, generally you have enough head pressure.

This post may help:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12395&highlight=head+pressure

dbfletcher
09-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Are you saying that you can crank it down so that it is on the board... but it never clicks and you just are not able to turn the crank anymore? I havent run in to that one before... but if that is the case, I would get the bathroom scale out... remove your board , replace with bathroom scale and crank the head down. What is the pressure as measured on your bathroom scale? I blieve the correct number should be around 80 lbs. I have head of some machines going as high as 120 (which i think is way to much) or as low as 20-30.. which is way to low.

Please let us know.

Doug Fletcher

Addendum..... man that jerry from cnsranch is quick on the keyboard! ;)

Lilly
09-16-2009, 05:11 PM
No extra clicks...

This surely isn't my day :( I took the side cover off my machine to see if there was something loose or perhaps a mouse nest (lol) cleaned it out with the air hose while I was there...didn't find anything so I put it back together..and now my keypad doesn't work. I am unable to even load up my projects. Key pad lights up but cannot select anything. This is getting better by the minute.

Not much sense to get the scale out till I get this keypad thing fixed...any suggestions on what to try next? take it apart again ? Hummmm, I think I am just going to have to make a phone call. A mechanic I am not!

Thanks,

mtylerfl
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi all,
I could use some help please. I have not used my machine in awhile but now I have a couple of signs to carve.

My problem is that when I use the hand crank to lower the head I can only crank it down until it comes in contact with the board but when I want to give it those extra 5 clicks...all of a sudden I can't tighten it down. Can I finish my project with out tightening it further? How do I know if it is toooooo tight? Do I have to adjust something...is something broken?

Thanks,

Hello Lilly,

Chances are the grease on the four posts is no longer effective. Clean your four posts. WD-40 is an excellent cleaner - just don't spray it all over your belts and so on - use towels to protect what you don't want sprayed. Then re-apply a very LIGHT coating of White Lithium grease, or use a Dry Lube spray (I prefer the dry lube).

After that, if it still is not working correctly, by all means check the head pressure, etc..

PCW
09-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Check the contrast adj knob on the keypad.

mtylerfl
09-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Check the contrast adj knob on the keypad.

Ummm - why would she need to do that?

PCW
09-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I was thinking it lights up but can not see characters. Maybe not

atauer
09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
To see if maybe the keypad will come on.

Wake up mike!

Lilly
09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry to be such a dunce...
Well, I have greased the 4 posts...and tested with my scale...but it needs fine tuning (I messed with the screw on the handle)...It cranks down and it finally clicks but not the correct number of times. What is the correct way to check the pressure?

I still cannot get the keypad to work. I put in the card-turn the machine on-adusted the contrast so I can read it....
(says CarveWright Main Menu
1) Project Menu

then I push the enter button

arrow keys don't work to select the project I want..only the first project shows up..going to try deleting all my projects and re entering them. Hope that works.

I'll be back....lol
Thanks so much for trying to help me

dbfletcher
09-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Can you explain more for what you mean when you say you dont get the correct number of "clicks". Once it starts clicking, if you continue to turn the handle, it shoud just keep right on clicking. That is when the mechanism to disallow "overcranking" the head kicks in. The clicks are just the clutch slipping so the head isnt over cranked.

Oh ya.. what was your head presure as measured on your scale?

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Good job getting back to where you have the menu on the LCD Screen....

There are plugs for the keyboard and in the process you may have loosened them.... I have never had the keypad off so I don't remember how many cables are on it....

It could even be a loose cable on the underside of the machine at the computer... Remember to un plug the machine before removing any covers or plugs.

Did you Vacuum around the keypad? Vacuum Cleaners produce thousands of volts of static electricity that can and will KILL your machine.... Use caution with a vacuum. The more expensive a vacuum the more carbon they put in the hose to dissipate the static. The wood chips traveling through the hose make the killer voltage.

If you get to a point where the menu system works.... Use Options and Sensor Data and look for the rollers. They will say Compressed or Un Compressed. You can crank the head down until the screen tells you compressed..... A scale is good too, so you know the pressure.

Welcome !!!!!

Don't forget about reading Tips and Tricks.

AL :mrgreen:

Lilly
09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Ok, thank you. I thought you could over crank. I think I have that fixed.

My problem now is with my keypad.

Thanks,
Lilly

Lilly
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks to all who have been trying to help me get my machine running.
The pressure is 55 on my scale...so I guess thats kinda in the middle.

Al, I think you are right I must have loosen something when I took off the cover because that part worked fine before the trouble began. I use an air hose to clean it out most of the time, however I have a dust collection system hooked up (now you have me worried about static...).
Going to check out the cables.

Thanks,
Lilly

Lilly
09-16-2009, 10:00 PM
This is one fussy machine...I don't understand how anyone keeps theirs working. I rechecked the cables to the LCD...put it back together and now it does not work at all...oh whoa is me...what do I do now I have 8 signs to carve and only 3 days to do it.

Help anyone?
Lilly

Deolman
09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Lilly, where are you at? Perhaps there is a member close by who may assist.

Lilly
09-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I am in the Milwaukee, WI. area...the 8 signs I have to carve are samples for my sign business...I have a big show coming up end of the month...I already have quite a few samples done from last year and generally sell a bunch of signs there..(got to get busy and replace them all till I get this machine fixed).

I will just do these the signs the old fashioned way (got the router all ready to go). They won't be as nice as my Carvewright does them but at least I know I can produce what they order.

I would not want to put all that work on someone who might want to help me out since I do not know how long this is going to take to get it up and running.

Thanks again,
Lilly

mtylerfl
09-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Hello Lilly,

I hope you get your LCD problem resolved soon.

FYI - There are a number of customer service documents that you can download that give you step-by-step instructions for help with troubleshooting and correction of certain machine issues (head pressure, alignment and so on).

You access these documents by logging in to your CarveWright Web Account (via the Help menu in your Designer software).

After your are logged in, you will see a list of items available to you. One of those items is called "View customer service documentation (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service)"

Perhaps some of that info could come in handy for you in the future.

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
You might have a bad keypad. Under Warranty be talking to LHR SOON.... Also make sure you have a card in the machine or all you get is square blocks... Keep an eye on that dimmer, it can be bumped to dim...

If they send you a keypad, ask for the cable too... You can return it with the core if not needed.

Good Luck,

AL

Lilly
09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Nobody home at support...had to leave a message...good luck with that, I'm thinking.
All this started with having to clear the sensor (had to do that many times before) and went downhill from there.

I just wish I could use my machine NOW

Have a good day,
Lilly

cnsranch
09-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Lilly - take a look at the link below. These are instructions as to how to replace the lcd cable for the keypad. It's not exactly what you need, but if you take a close look, it may lead you to the problems you may have caused when you removed the panel. You may have loosened a wire, or the cable (as AW suggested).

http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_LCD_cable.pdf

Lilly
09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
OMG..Lilly is a happy camper:-D
Got a live person to talk to..he helped me get my LCD screen working.
Now if it only works when I go to carve.

FYI...this problem was caused (by me-not my machine) when I unplugged the cable to grease the four posts. Plugging it back in requires a reformat of my card to the latest version l.l52.

Thank you all so much for your help..by the way the tech guy was very understanding and helpful.

Have a great day,
Lilly:)

mtylerfl
09-17-2009, 11:06 AM

FYI...this problem was caused (by me-not my machine) when I unplugged the cable to grease the four posts. Plugging it back in requires a reformat of my card to the latest version l.l52.

Thank you all so much for your help..by the way the tech guy was very understanding and helpful.

Have a great day,

Glad you got it worked out! Thanks for letting us know the "fix". I did not know that a reformat would have been required after removing the side panel. Good tip.

Lilly
09-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Okay so I spoke to soon..but I am getting there I think
Now I can select my project but when it comes to "stay under roller" option it won't work either way 1 or 2...

got to call the tech guy again? I'll let you know when my first sign comes out of this machine...

I think that the reformat is only if you umplug the cable from the cover...not sure on that.

PCW
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Lilly,

I believe the reason the tech had you format the card was because version 1.152 is not backwards compatible with older versions of the firmware. If your projects where created on the newer version 1.152 and you had a older firmware on the card it would not be compatible. Good Luck

May also want to power the machine off and let it reboot on the new firmware on the card. Won't hurt to try.

mtylerfl
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Okay so I spoke to soon..but I am getting there I think
Now I can select my project but when it comes to "stay under roller" option it won't work either way 1 or 2...

got to call the tech guy again? I'll let you know when my first sign comes out of this machine...

I think that the reformat is only if you umplug the cable from the cover...not sure on that.

Lilly,

Is your project correctly laid out and is your board long enough, and is your board more than 1/2" thick?

If your project finished dimension is laid out that way in Designer, let's say it is 10" long, your board you actually put into the machine must be 7" longer than the layout. In this example, the board will need to be at least 17" long.

Covered in the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Dec07.pdf)

Super easy - the board you put into the machine must always be 7" longer than your design layout when you have followed the manufacturer's directions of laying out the project at actual size in Designer.

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I think what she said was the keyboard keys 1 and 2 don't respond if I read that right.

AL

PCW
09-17-2009, 01:47 PM

Have a great day,

Another thing are you using the 1.152 firmware on the card?

What I mean is did you just format the card or did you flash the card to the newer version. If you put your card back into the reader and if you go into designer and to File/Flash Manager and click on firmware that would confirm what version you are using.

mtylerfl
09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I think what she said was the keyboard keys 1 and 2 don't respond if I read that right.

AL

Possibly - I thought she simply meant that either choice doesn't work (but that the keypad was working ok). Maybe she can clear that up for us.

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I think Dan may be on to something... Card not flashed properly.....

AL

mtylerfl
09-17-2009, 07:30 PM
In post #22, she indicated the Tech already had her do that. I assume she did.

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I am thinking she did it but something might not be right with the steps she took to reformat it and load the project..... I am just playing devils advocate... Since the LCD and Keyboard are Software Driven a bad load or a BAD CARD might give the same indication. When at Sony I programmed the LCD Displays that acted like keyboards for the PLC's or Program Logic Controller. This is feeling like a bad load or bad software load or bad card. OR the card slot in the computer has a bent pin.

I am not faulting her.... I thinking something with software is just not right.... WE all may soon be seeing such problems.

I am a little concerned about the new software..... Or Cautious is a better word.

AL

Lilly
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
New card arrived this morning....Machine is NOT running.

Tech had walked me thru to upgrade my software and then my memory card. Then put it in the machine...the correct menu came up, and he had me select #7 and that worked...I was happy reloaded my projects to the memory card, put in in machine, turned it on. Correct menu came up, since I wanted to start with the first project I pushed enter. When the option to stay under roller comes up I could not select 1 or 2 That is when I discovered that I could not select any of the other projects (only the 1st one shows up)

Then he says it is the memory card..so I ordered one had it shipped next day ($79.95 cuz I need it bad)...Arrived today....Problem still the same:( probably will just keep the additional card instead of returning for a $39.95 credit .

Now he wants me to replace the controler ($300.00 with $100.00 credit when I return the old one). First He wants me to check the controler by tipping the machine on its side and remove the bottom. I haven't done that yet today (did it yesterday but will do it again just to be sure).

So, no signs for Lilly today...
Thanks guys,
Lilly

cnsranch
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Lilly - did you buy your machine used - seems like you should be under warranty.

Lilly
09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Bought it new 5/08 Never had a problem with it..everything worked fine from the start. This problem started with a clean board sensor display on the LCD I had cleaned that many times since I got my machine and never a problem till now...(when I need to be working in 2 days). Not even sure how many hours on it...carved my samples and made maybe 25 signs from my craft show last September.
Since the part is expensive I've got my fingers crossed about i being covered.

Lilly

PS:
Is it possible that this has anything to do with the board pressure? wouldn't think so but it was a thought.

cnsranch
09-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Sorry about your problems.

Unfortunately, you're on your own after 1 year or 200 hours, whichever comes first.

Lilly
09-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks, that figures...with how things have been going for me lately

Have a good day!
Lilly

PCW
09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Lilly,

Well that sucks!! Before you purchase a controller turn the power off take the muffler off and lay the machine on it's back. There are 10 or 12 screws that will remove the bottom cover. Just make sure that all the connection are firmly in place on the controller as well as the power supply. Keep your fingers crossed.:D

Buying a flashcard is one thing but a $300.00 controller is another. If you where close I would let you try my controller to verify the problem. What area are you in?

mtylerfl
09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello Lilly,

This is a long-shot I know, but if you haven't already done this...

Open your project in your newest Designer software, make some minor change (draw a line or something), Undo the change, then Save your file.

Delete your project off the card, then re-upload it and try running the project again in your machine. Probably won't make any difference, but it's worth a shot and it's free.

Lilly
09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes it is...but I tried that, more than once..no success:(

I guess I will order one and hope they know what they are talking about.
I think this is a process of elimination that they do...

I can see why you guys have more than one machine...it's for times like this.
Don't know that I would ever purchase another,
Thanks for the help
Lilly

PCW
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Lilly,

Based on what Michael said have you tried a different mpc file and is the results the same? Try making a new project with version 1.152 or 1.153 which ever you are using and make a small test mpc to see if you get the same results.

You may have already tried this but you want to verify the problem is not in the file that you are trying to load on the machine.

Lilly
09-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Okay, I tried that too...same thing

Tech support is difficult to get a hold of. Heck, a live body is darn near impossible.

I need to get that ordered today (overnight again $$$$$$$)
Last time I got someone they told me I need to talk to the tech who has been handling my problem (out to lunch, of course) because controlers problems are rare (that figures) and he needs to get his supervisor's approval.

This is nuts!
Lilly

PCW
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Lilly,

Well it was worth a shot.

Bright side it could be worst.
I just hope they don't start charging a fee to talk to them. :mrgreen:

Lilly
09-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Well, I still don't have my machine running...got the new controler this morning. Still doesn't work.
Got ahold of a different tech guy he says it is the keypad and I need a new one...another $130.00 with $40.00 credit. I think these guys follow a list just like the cable company when your internet connection doesn't work..and guess it becomes a process of elimination.

Guess there will be no sign sales at my craft show this weekend...can't sell what you can't make!
No saying when this will get fixed.
Lilly

woodchip
09-22-2009, 04:35 PM
lilly, I feel your pain.....I'm to the point that I'm trying to send my machine back $150.00 to get it fixed. The tech I talked to had me take the machine apart (1 million parts). I finally gave up so now I'm sending it back. In the instructions it says (no less than 5 times )an improrerly packed machine normally gets broken the cost goes to the owner(not covered of course) I wonder why so much frieght and not insured.....? I feel like this might be a setup. Mine was the same problem as yours....
Good luck
Woodchip

TIMCOSBY
09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
never vacuum by the keypad even while touching the machine.

Lilly
10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Everyone,
Back from my craft show...sold a good number of signs. Turned out that the cable was my problem all along. A $5.00 part...They did send me a refurbished one as they had none in stock and no idea when they would get a shipment in...could be 6 months or it could be 1 week the girl said. Glad they could help me out...

Just thought I'd drop a line to let you know how this turned out. First sign out of the machine turned out great.

Thanks again for all your help and advise.

Lilly :)

Digitalwoodshop
10-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Good Job Lilly !!!!!

Excellent getting signs to do too:mrgreen: I just started my Labor Day orders today.... Been Busy too.... Machine just finished carving and I was playing with the Laser Engraver. Got some Key fobs and will try to sell some wholesale.

Would like to get permission to use the CW machine logo for some key fobs... I need to make one for me... 1000 hour club....:mrgreen:

AL

Deolman
10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Glad to see you goit it going again Lilly. I was feeling bad with all of the things you had to go through. Show us some of your signs.

dbfletcher
10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Lily,

Did they allow you to return any of the parts they made you buy when they where helping you figure out the problem?? Or are you just stuck with them?

Doug Fletcher

Lilly
10-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Doug,
One of the parts was a memory card. I kept that - figuring I could always use an extra one of those, but they said I could return it if I wanted. The controller was the expensive part $303.00 I sent it back this morning. Suppose to be a 30 day return policy..we will see if I get a refund or a credit. Tech said refund :D

Got to get them signs out of the machine...I'll try to post some pics if I have time.