PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

snowmaiden
09-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to carve a piece when i load the project go through the ?s the machine says its homing but the lever thats supposed to come out for the bit to touch isn't coming out. Any ideas? I've tried reloading aborting taking the board out starting over. Please help me.

AskBud
09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm trying to carve a piece when i load the project go through the ?s the machine says its homing but the lever thats supposed to come out for the bit to touch isn't coming out. Any ideas? I've tried reloading aborting taking the board out starting over. Please help me.

I presume that you have a project on the card, and that you see the Truck travel to the Right toward the Bit Touch Plate. The Truck must contact the Touch Plate Lever and force it to extend.

Turn the machine off and move the Truck by hand and see if you can accomplish the task with no extreme pressure. There could be several reasons for the contact not to be made, or the plate to move stiffly.

1)The Truck travel may be impeded by dirt on the rail, or in the track. Lube on the track or blowing out the inside of the track may help.
2) The Truck belt may not be tight enough (The adjustment is made by changing the tension on the Right end of the track).
3) The Bit Plate may need a spot of lube.
4) Check for a set of wires to be blocking the Bit Plate movement (They are just beyond the Plate, and should not touch). Move them toward the main cut motor.

Others will have some insight as well.
AskBud

SteveEJ
09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Sometimes mine does that no matter how clean I keep it. The secret for me is to clean it and spray the spring shaft area with some silicon spray before each carve. I make sure to protect the surrounding areas and traction belts since silicon, although a good lubricant, can do bad things to belts and more importantly to wood. In case you don't know, silicon on wood can cause bad things to happen to the finish and you cannot get it off.

If there is no physical obstruction of some sort try it.

The only reason I use silicon lube is it doesn't leave a heavy residue.

Steven Alford
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
This happened to me recently (and to many others!!) and an easy fix is to manually pull out the bit plate and place a piece of firm Styrofoam behind it, holding it out permanently. Make sure it is not too far out to interfer with the Z truck as it travels back and forth. At the same time place a little WD40 on the pin going through the center of the bit plate. After about a week of cutting with this Styrofoam in place, remove it and by this time the WD40 should have worked the bit plate loose. From this point one, keep the bit plate lightly lubed.

robbrigg2
09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Mine has done this and this is what I do.

1) manually move the touch plate yourself a couple of times.
2) Blow the touch plate out thoroughly
3) use a little w-d 40 on the hinge part (dust build up keeps it from moving)

This should do the trick... I hope

snowmaiden
09-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I want to thank you guys for the help i really appreciate the help

henry1
09-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Mine has done this and this is what I do.

1) manually move the touch plate yourself a couple of times.
2) Blow the touch plate out thoroughly
3) use a little w-d 40 on the hinge part (dust build up keeps it from moving)

This should do the trick... I hope

I used the WD40 before every carve never had a problem:)

earlyrider
09-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Please remember that WD40 is for water displacement and is only a temporary lubricant, as it will evaporate and leave a sticky residue. It is not allowed as a lubricant on aircraft (hinges and ballcranks,etc.) Sticky and dust are a terrible combination for this machine! WD works good for loosening the compacted dust on the rails, just make sure to wipe them down well. The silicone spray works great for the bit touch plate pivot.
Ron