PDA

View Full Version : lots of runout in chuck

skeeterman
09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I recently purchased a former members compucarve, had some minor issues that i think i have worked out, ( bypassed the door sensors because door was broke) checked all sensors and all is well. so i decided to try a carve, and noticed that the carve bit was running out over 1/8 inch!!!! very noticable by just spinning the chuck by hand. I have never taken a chuck off of either of my machines so not sure what i have gotten into as of purchasing this machine, if i take chuck off and replace with rock will i be ok or does it sound like whole z truck needs replaced?
Have 2 compucarves working great now but considering the rock for both of them as well

dbfletcher
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Does the chuck wiggle by itself? or is it just the bit in the chuck that has a lot of play. if it is just the bit, the I think your chioces are a new qc and new bit holders... or a rock and get rid of the evil qc bit holders all together.

I have put a rock on both my machines.. and has been said many times on this forum... A HUGE IMPROVEMENT. easier... less noise... better carves. What more could you want from an aftermarket product.

Doug Fletcher

PCW
09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Also may want to see if the play is coming from the spindle bearings. Move the bit Back/Forth/Left/Right and watch for play above the chuck. If you have that much run out it should be easy to see it.

skeeterman
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
dose not wiggle, fits firmly in chuck, the chuck istself is running out when you spin it, so my question is would just replacing chuck with rock help or do i need to replace the whole thing, thanks for responses
steve

DocWheeler
09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Steve,

If the spindle isn't the problem (bent) then either a new QC or a Rock should work. May be hard to determine where the problem is until you put on a new chuck.

Some older posts gave instructions on replacing the spindle but I have not seen that recommended lately. You could order a complete new Z truck (not sure if a QC comes with it or not).

c6craig
09-14-2009, 09:05 PM
The last Z-Truck I ordered was about 2 months ago and it did come complete with a QC, for what that's worth.

Thanks,
Craig

skeeterman
09-14-2009, 09:09 PM
appreciate the help guys, will call LHR in the morning
Steve

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
If you are planning to install a Rock chuck, I would ask for one without a QC installed so you don't damage the Truck.

AL

TIMCOSBY
09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
sears when they first came out and when i spun the bit around it did the same thing you describe. i didnt own one at the time but thought that was odd.

skeeterman
09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I have two other compucarves from sears that are not that way, this one which was purchased used has had somthing done to it wether it be the spindle warped or the chuck itself crossthreaded and not running tru
Steve

DocWheeler
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
skeeterman,

I would think that if it was cross-threaded that it would be a lot worse than you describe. Have you checked to see if there is something packed into the taper part where the bit adapter seats?

earlyrider
09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Or is the bottom spindle bearing damper missing or out of place?

skeeterman
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
It will be a couple of days before i can get back to machine to check that out, thanks for your suggestions
Steve

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Don't forget about that tin damper ring that can fall our of the lower truck.

AL

Cabinetdesigner
01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
once the damper ring drops down is there a way to fix it or do you have to get a new z truck. It is not under warrenty . do anyone have an idea how much a new z truck will cost me?

PCW
01-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Spindle is a warranty item and should be covered and would not attempt to repair it. If not in warrenty you need to order one and if I remember right it is around $70.00 plus shipping. LHR will send a replacement Z-Trunk and remind them you need two screws for the right two bearings. The Z will come with the left two bearings installed so no need to remove.

Below in my signature is a link to LHR's repair documents. Good Luck

Digitalwoodshop
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
On second thought after sending you a PM, since you don't have a warranty and it will cost you $70.00 plus $15.00 shipping... I am thinking that pushing the damper back in place then apply some glue or epoxy to hole it up would be worth it.... It must have a groove that holds it up in place.... It pops out of the groove.

AL

Cabinetdesigner
01-10-2010, 01:25 PM
well I am experiencing poor cut quailty anyway so it may be best to replace the z truck any way.