PDA

View Full Version : Question about bit length in Rock chuck

jjack9485
09-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I just installed the rock chuck and placed the carving bit with 1.5" from bottom of chuck to tip of carving bit, no problem there. Using the 90 and 60 degree bit they are much shorter than the carving bit. They are 1.75" in length and wont be able to have the recommended 1.50 exposed. Will I be able to use the shorter bits?

Thanks,
Jack

AskBud
09-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I just installed the rock chuck and placed the carving bit with 1.5" from bottom of chuck to tip of carving bit, no problem there. Using the 90 and 60 degree bit they are much shorter than the carving bit. They are 1.75" in length and wont be able to have the recommended 1.50 exposed. Will I be able to use the shorter bits?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,
You mis-read the specs. The CW manual speaks the the shorter bits using the botton (portion closest to the chuck) as the measurement.
AskBud

QUOTE:
1/4" Adapter Style – Like the 1/2" style, assemble the bit so that the
face of the adapter is 1/8” from the bottom of the cutting surface. The
only exception to this is the 1/4" Ball Nose bit (BBN25) and solid
carbide bits. This BBN25 bit must be assembled as shown in Figure 32.

PCW
09-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,

What I do in regards to the 60 and 90 degree bits is just push them up into the rock chuck as far as they will go. The machine will measure them without a problem.

jjack9485
09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks,

I was really confused about the lengths, why does one have to concerned about any of the lengths if the machine will measure them anyway?

Jack

PCW
09-14-2009, 05:10 PM
It not that important but what is important is when you are using more than one bit in a carve and have to make a bit change in a middle of a carve.

The machine measure the bit 2 times once on setup and then verifies the measurement when you change bits.

When you change bits back and forth they should be at the same depth and that is why you need the 1/6" and 1/8" bits to have a depth gage on them for reference.

jjack9485
09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Dan,

Thanks for the explanation,

Jack,

Doc,

I'm still trying to comprehend what you are telling me, I'm a little slow but I will try.

Jack