PDA

View Full Version : Any one attempted to contain noise??

Jwade
04-25-2006, 11:13 AM
I live in ever so wonderfull deed restricted area :roll: I like to set the CW up and work on other projects in my workshop. aka garage. :cry: I have made a prototype which is OK.consisting of plywood and insulation to contain noise. It brings noise to just above a comfortable level. I have seen the plexiglass that the CW folks have made.
Any thoughts or attempts on any others?
BTW the project s look great in the gallery.
John--Florida

RobertP
04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I plan on making a hush box for mine, I just have not had the time, I will be making mine from ply and plexiglass, I plan to line it with some acoustical fiberglass panels. I do worry about the heat factor a bit though.

yenne
04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
There was a thread about this a while back with some useful information and examples:

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66

shabang
04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
A sure fire way to lower the noise so your neighbors don't complain is to SUBLET the work out. 8)

For a small fee I would be willing to do your work. And since we work close to one another delivery would not be a problem.

Or once you get yours back you can borrow mine and make twice as much noise :D

Enjoy & remember 8 is Gr8t :lol:

Jwade
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Shabang-- Well so I've heard that when a sublet is done, the project somehow appers on those ever popular auction sites or even in local retailers, before I get it back. :wink: :wink: So thanks for the offer but Ill put it in a box. However I could build a box for two CW's and really wake up the subdivision!! :P :
JW
:D 8 is gr8t but 24 has more :D

Digitalwoodshop
01-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Anyone ventured the idea of replacing the motor with something not as loud? I don't have one yet, but is it a universal motor? I see someone.... me.... taking a table saw motor, a few pulleys and belts just to quietly drive the shaft to the required speed, rotation and resilience.... OK.... that was a bit of tong and cheek humor for the designer of a very GOOD PRODUCT. I know there are quitter motors on the market but at a price.
When I was at the Sony Picture Tube plant in San Diego 1995 - 99, we had a Engineer design a CRT or picture tube face buffer that was software controlled much like this. It too used a quiet motor and a industrial cable drive to remove the weight from the working head for easier control. The buffing wheel suffered from 90 degree rotation force like spinning a bike wheel in your hand and off axis force resulted in movement 90 degrees to the force. Hence it was not that efficient at buffing but a good try.... Manual buffing with slurry and 6000 grit paper makes for a long 12 hour shift.... I was a Mechanic working on the Fanuc Robots, Omron Program Logic Controllers, and a bunch of other Factory Automation. Plus I have a 20 year Navy background in Analog Computers, Mechanical Gyros, Digital Drives from Tubes to Microprocessors. So this CarveWright peeked my interest.... My nearest neighbor is about a mile away.... and I have a Wood Shop separate from the Laser Shop for dust control. I had planned to install Cameras to watch the CarveWright like I was planning to do with the ShopBot. I have already pre wired for the cameras now I just need a remote E stop for the CarveWright to stop it if necessary from the other building..... or the house. The ShopBot was crossed off my wish list as soon as I saw the video.... The CarveWright will do all I need and MORE.

Digitalwoodshop
01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
What about a longer cable drive and just the motor sitting in a quiet box with cooling.... a further distance from the work head?

BobHill
01-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I've still got pretty good ears, but outside of the room that you have the CW, the noise is pretty well dampened. Unless one is immediately outside your door/house (even thin metal garage door) it's certainly less noisy than my table saw. The noise doesn't seem to penetrate, which means the box idea probably is a very good one (although I still haven't done one).

Bob

Pepaw
01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm not a CW owner yet, but I dont understand what all the concern is with the noise the CW makes. It is after all a Router and most if not all routers make a lot of noise. You can quite the down if you enclose them in a router table cabinet. But if you do that you still have to be sure the you have good air movement so the motor does not over heat, and that causes noise level to be higher. With the computer and other electronics installed on the CW I would think that heat would be even more of an issue. So is enclosing the CW a good idea?

dominulus
09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
There was a thread about this a while back with some useful information and examples:

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66

I tried going to this thread, but it could not be found. I did find Old Salt's phone booth setup, but am looking for something smaller to contain the noise -- which amazingly is NOT music to the ears of my dear neighbors.

Anybody made a well-ventilated sound-box for theirs?

oldjoe
09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Am in the process of designing one now use to have it on an old heavy table when I first got it. Then I built a stand for it that is basically 4 legs and alot of empty space underneath. When I moved it it got allot louder so I decided I better get around to quieting it down a bit. Still have yet to install a DC but when I get that done I will build an enclosed cabinet around stand and I was thinking either styrofoam board 2" thick around the whole inside then when I find out where the final resting spot for my carver is going to be I was going to put up walls around it and over it using a material similar to office cubicals.
I will watch this thread for better ideas. I am sure there are tons.

Hexe SA
09-05-2007, 10:37 AM
A sand blasting booth comes to mind. With the right set up you even get your downdraft and noice control in one. I believe Harbor Freight has some and that will fit the machine. I'm still trying to talk my husband out of his, since he never uses it. I did place the machine in it and ran a test of about 20 min. Noice down, dust and wood chips down. I have not placed hoses directly into the machine and into the collector. I may have to crack down and buy my own. One draw back, no long boards.
Eva

911guy
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I have found the ultimate solution.

I have a neighbor that jokingly complains of the noise. I bought him a pair of $10 earmuffs. Bought one for myself as well. Works like a charm!

Kenm810
09-05-2007, 05:14 PM
For fathers day my two sons bought me a really great set of electronic noise canceling Headphones.
I use them with my Sony mp3 player or my ipod,
and spend most of the day working and listening to music or the ballgame,
no background machine noise.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
Funny thing though, I never noticed how many mimes we have working in the building before. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Digitalwoodshop
09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Ken,

How do they work with a router? I have been wearing some Sony RF ear muff phones when running the router doing the cut outs.

My answer to the machine noise is 2 buildings and a intercom.....

AL

Kenm810
09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
AL,
I use them primarily for background machine noise, like someone cutting on a table saw or surface grinders with vacuum systems blasting away. But when I’m using belt sanders trim routers, saber saws, lathe or a drill press and even though the sound is reduced by the Headphones I still want to hear the tool running as I’m sure you know it’s one of the clues to how much pressure your applying and if the tool or machine is bogging down. An old Scottish wood worker once told me that the tools and machines talk to you, and can tell you if you’re using the right or wrong. It took a lot of years listening, but I now believe him. I can hear if someone it the other shop messing up on the band saw or is forcing a cut off saw through a piece of hard maple.
And if the machine or worker gets a little to noisy, I to, can banish it or them to another shop or warehouse. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

pamjmayo
09-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Hi Ken, I was interested in your picture of your warehouse. Do you use this in your business? How can you stand not bringing it home every night? (HA). I think for most of us on the forum the CC is our security blanket. Pam

Kenm810
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi Pam,

When I was much, much younger I had a small wood shop at home that turned in to a business, a short time later I built a cabinet shop and building only a mile from home. Very convenient, but being self employed and not getting paid for days off or vacations and trying to build a business and good reputation with my growing client base, I often worked 12 and 16 hours a day 7 days a week often for months on end, once for two years straight with out a day off. That came to a screeching halt when I realized, the only time I saw my young children was when they were sleeping at night and that they barley recognized me on holidays or at birthday party’s. Barb also put her foot down when some family members remarked that the only time they saw me was at Weddings or Funerals. Will to make a long story longer “Family” since then always comes first and that includes 4 Grand Kids, that all want to sit in Papa lap and read stories when they come to Grand Mom Honeys house.
And now my shops, studios, and warehouse are in a 28000 sq. ft. building, 35 miles from my house. That helps stifles my obsession or urges to pop over to the shop on the weekends or evenings. Plus I keep only a few hand tools and a battery drill in to garage to use around the house.

As for the warehouse some of our projects come from all over the world and sometimes take weeks, months or even years to complete. And that where warehouse come in to play, the clients normally would have to find and pay for a place to store their projects until we were ready to built or work on them. Why not pay us to warehouse the items for them, until they are ready to install or use them.

Quote -- How can you stand not bringing it home every night?

But I do Pam. In my mind with all the ideas and plans for new, and different carvings or projects. The CW designer and Forum at home are enough security blanket for me. ----- and their lighter to carry too. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

benluz
09-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Anyone ventured the idea of replacing the motor with something not as loud? I don't have one yet, but is it a universal motor? I see someone.... me.... taking a table saw motor, a few pulleys and belts just to quietly drive the shaft to the required speed, rotation and resilience.... OK.... that was a bit of tong and cheek humor for the designer of a very GOOD PRODUCT. I know there are quitter motors on the market but at a price.
When I was at the Sony Picture Tube plant in San Diego 1995 - 99, we had a Engineer design a CRT or picture tube face buffer that was software controlled much like this. It too used a quiet motor and a industrial cable drive to remove the weight from the working head for easier control. The buffing wheel suffered from 90 degree rotation force like spinning a bike wheel in your hand and off axis force resulted in movement 90 degrees to the force. Hence it was not that efficient at buffing but a good try.... Manual buffing with slurry and 6000 grit paper makes for a long 12 hour shift.... I was a Mechanic working on the Fanuc Robots, Omron Program Logic Controllers, and a bunch of other Factory Automation. Plus I have a 20 year Navy background in Analog Computers, Mechanical Gyros, Digital Drives from Tubes to Microprocessors. So this CarveWright peeked my interest.... My nearest neighbor is about a mile away.... and I have a Wood Shop separate from the Laser Shop for dust control. I had planned to install Cameras to watch the CarveWright like I was planning to do with the ShopBot. I have already pre wired for the cameras now I just need a remote E stop for the CarveWright to stop it if necessary from the other building..... or the house. The ShopBot was crossed off my wish list as soon as I saw the video.... The CarveWright will do all I need and MORE.

Hi frequency spindles from Colombo and a 7.5 Mitsubishi motor is what is on my cnc and is very quiet .I suppose one could put a flexshaft on a motor like this.The next generation of larger Carvewright machines will have this as an option I would think ,since this the norm with other full size machines, but then there is a cost assocaited with the low noise factor.
Ben