PDA

View Full Version : Belt Motor??

unitedcases
09-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Once I hear the answer I am probably going to really hit myself hard but here goes. I have had a few problems with the x-axis. Sometimes when its doing the measure it kinda whines like it is bogging down but then it goes away. Then sometimes when it measures it kicks back like it wants to go forward then reverse very fast. I dont blow this thing out all the time but I do vacuum religiously. I havent upgraded to dust collection so I am still a "vacuum every 30 minutes or so guy". Anyway any help is greatly appreciated. Is it possible that there is dust in the bottom of it where the gears are and I just havent noticed? Any ideas?

hess
09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
mine was acting like that just before I lost my X drive gear

May want to pull the black cover off between the belts on the side away from the keypad and clean check lube the gears

unitedcases
09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Makes sense, I just looked at it and they do look grimy and grity. What kind of lube does anyone suggest?

TIMCOSBY
09-13-2009, 11:43 PM
isnt perfect it will sound that way too.

unitedcases
09-14-2009, 04:53 AM
I use a sled. I know that it isnt perfect but the sound has changed and I have even noticed the movement stop but the noise continue on a couple occasions. It always carves fine though.

dench
09-14-2009, 06:29 AM
when it goes back and forward very fast is because the board is losing contact with the brass roller your board must be cupped or bowed try a new board perfectly straight it happen to me a few times

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2009, 11:52 AM
A few things....

Fast and Slow X drive sounding like it is bogging down can be a result of 3 things...

Humidity.... The underside of the belts collect sawdust pitch and with humidity start to stick to the trays that they ride on...

Head Pressure..... If the head pressure is WAY TOO HEAVY then it presses the belts tight to the tray and causes this. While it is bogging down try cranking the head up slightly, should improve.

Sawdust in the belts... Sometimes sawdust gets blown into the inside of the belt area causing this... Dust on the rollers too...

As for the back and forth... Loss of contact with the brass roller or a chunk of wood missing from the under side of the board at the brass roller.

Masking tape on the area where the brass roller touches the wood is the rule in my shop...

Good Luck,

AL

USN Retired
Fire Control Chief
Naval Gun Fire Support

unitedcases
09-14-2009, 01:36 PM
All of these are things I kinda thought of. I think on the brass roller side I will double up my tape. I did clean out the x gears but dont know what to relube them with.

mtylerfl
09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
All of these are things I kinda thought of. I think on the brass roller side I will double up my tape. I did clean out the x gears but dont know what to relube them with.

I think it's White Lithium Grease, but call CarveWright to be sure.

Icutone2
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
White Lithium Grease is what I used and I am not having any prod with them.
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Make sure the sand paper belts are not rolled under on the edge.

Since the gears are Nylon I believe, any grease will be OK.

Old Sand Paper Belts build up stickiness from the pitch, may be time to replace them.

AL

unitedcases
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Well I cleaned what I thought was good but I think that washed all the dirt south and broke a tooth on the second stage gear. So now I have already ordered a replacement and a spare just in case. Since I have it apart I am going to go ahead and change the belts. I already have a spare set ready to go on. This machine has over 200 hours. The belts still work but they are definitely showing their age. Thanks for all the help guys!

Pratyeka
09-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Push down on the brass roller and blow air between the rail and the brass roller bracket. Sawdust can accumulate there and prevent the brass roller from coming back all the way up.

unitedcases
09-14-2009, 06:31 PM
How about sealing the plastic cover?

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I have sealed it with RTV but one time I got a little happy with the RTV and the next time I had a hard time getting it off.... I would place the cover then apply the RTV. That way you can cut the seal next time with a knife then remove the cover.

Good Job !!!!

AL

mtylerfl
09-15-2009, 09:42 AM
I sealed mine with Clear Silicon after the cover was back in place over the gears (is that the same as RTV? - I don't know).

fwharris
09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I sealed mine with Clear Silicon after the cover was back in place over the gears (is that the same as RTV? - I don't know).

Michael,

Yes it is close to the same thing. RTV is just a brand name....

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
It's the same... Just a name... RTV Room Temperature Vulcanizer.... Silicone....

AL