PDA

View Full Version : Designer 1.152 problem with cutouts

davej1701
09-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I recently upgraded to the 1.152 version of the software and an having problems with the cutout feature. I am using 1/8" stock and I do the following steps:
Load pattern, outline pattern, delete original pattern, choose cutpath with 1/16" bit - 3 tabs per foot - tab height 1/16"

When I upload my pattern to the card, I get the error message "It has been determined that the project being uploaded does no carving. Cannot continue, sorry."

Carvewright told me I had to select a bit for each cutout in order to get rid of this error. When I choose the 1/16" bit with a depth of .125", I get a cutout with no tabs.

I am attaching my 1/8" board to a 1/2" board to meet the thickness requirement.

What am I doing wrong?

James RS
09-12-2009, 03:31 PM
If you look at the cutout bit area you have the 1/16" bit selected that's the carving bit,I just double checked a project where I am doing the exact same thing. Just change it to the 1/8" cutting bit, look at the one I changed that you uploaded you also had 1 tab selected per foot I changed it to 6. So depending on the size of the project it might have not have shown up

AskBud
09-12-2009, 06:09 PM
dave,
1) I eliminated the "Bit Selection", to the left of your cutout.
2) Your 1/16" cutout With 1/16 tab is OK, or you could increase it to 1/8" Tab.

I got your error message (I would say this is e SW problem that LHR should correct).
3) I added a 1/16" "Drill" hole with the 1/16" straight bit, and the carve loaded.

For some reason, after this load, I deleted the Drill and the carve still loaded.

Remember that Cutout Tabs will not display on your design, but they are there. Further, remember to answer "Carve Project", rather than "Carve Board" when you place this project in your machine.
AskBud

mtylerfl
09-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I recently upgraded to the 1.152 version of the software and an having problems with the cutout feature. I am using 1/8" stock and I do the following steps:
Load pattern, outline pattern, delete original pattern, choose cutpath with 1/16" bit - 3 tabs per foot - tab height 1/16"

When I upload my pattern to the card, I get the error message "It has been determined that the project being uploaded does no carving. Cannot continue, sorry."

Carvewright told me I had to select a bit for each cutout in order to get rid of this error. When I choose the 1/16" bit with a depth of .125", I get a cutout with no tabs.

I am attaching my 1/8" board to a 1/2" board to meet the thickness requirement.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

The Tips & Tricks ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf) may be helpful for you.

Also, do you actually own the 1/16" CUTTING Bit? If not, you cannot substitute the 1/16" Ballnose (carving bit) for a cutting bit.

davej1701
09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I am going to work on this some more this afternoon. And yes Michael, I do have the 1/16" cutting bit. It is so much nicer to use on the cutouts with finer details.

I have one more question: I am importing a clipart image for the cutout - does it make any difference when I import the image as to what the depth is set at on the Import Image window? I imported the snowman at .25". Don't know if this affects anything when using the image for a cutout in thinner stock.

mtylerfl
09-13-2009, 03:06 PM

I have one more question: I am importing a clipart image for the cutout - does it make any difference when I import the image as to what the depth is set at on the Import Image window? I imported the snowman at .25". Don't know if this affects anything when using the image for a cutout in thinner stock.

If you are using the pattern just for creating an outline for a cutpath silhouette, then no, the thickness doesn't matter since you'll delete the pattern after the outline is generated.

davej1701
09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
dave,
1) I eliminated the "Bit Selection", to the left of your cutout.
2) Your 1/16" cutout With 1/16 tab is OK, or you could increase it to 1/8" Tab.

I got your error message (I would say this is e SW problem that LHR should correct).
3) I added a 1/16" "Drill" hole with the 1/16" straight bit, and the carve loaded.

For some reason, after this load, I deleted the Drill and the carve still loaded.

Remember that Cutout Tabs will not display on your design, but they are there. Further, remember to answer "Carve Project", rather than "Carve Board" when you place this project in your machine.
AskBud

This is another issue that I forgot about. In the previous versions of software when I was cutting thinner stock, the machine would ask me either "Carve Project" or "Carve Board" - it no longer does this. My cutouts are done without any tabs and luckly I haven't had any problem with a cutout being thrown around inside the machine yet.

I have also tried something similar to your suggestion of doing a drill hole and then removing it. When I do that, my project will load to the card without the error. When I load the project on the machine, it goes through the process of measuring the board and then the project quits giving me the time the project took without any cutting.

I am using Windows 7 Build 7100. Don't know if that may be an issue or not.

AskBud
09-13-2009, 07:04 PM
This is another issue that I forgot about. In the previous versions of software when I was cutting thinner stock, the machine would ask me either "Carve Project" or "Carve Board" - it no longer does this. My cutouts are done without any tabs and luckly I haven't had any problem with a cutout being thrown around inside the machine yet.

I have also tried something similar to your suggestion of doing a drill hole and then removing it. When I do that, my project will load to the card without the error. When I load the project on the machine, it goes through the process of measuring the board and then the project quits giving me the time the project took without any cutting.

I am using Windows 7 Build 7100. Don't know if that may be an issue or not.
I doubt that Windows is a problem, in this case.
Post your latest MPC.
AskBud

davej1701
09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Here is my test file again. I can get it to load to the card but when I go to cut it out on my machine, it goes through the measuring process and then displays the total time on the display as if it had cut, but nothing was cut.

If anyone can try this file on their machine to see if it will cut or not, that would be helpful.

I am thinking about going back to the 1.13x version of the software but I don't have the file anymore for that version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PCW
09-16-2009, 09:57 PM
I looked at the file and it show the the board thickness is only .125 1/8" and the min. the machine will carve is .500 without a sled. Are you using a sled to run this project?

RMarkey
09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for reporting this. This is a known issue that will be corrected in the next release. The quick workaround is to select "yes" to "cut board to size" when asked at the beginning.

Here is my test file again. I can get it to load to the card but when I go to cut it out on my machine, it goes through the measuring process and then displays the total time on the display as if it had cut, but nothing was cut.

If anyone can try this file on their machine to see if it will cut or not, that would be helpful.

I am thinking about going back to the 1.3xx version of the software but I don't have the file anymore for that version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

davej1701
09-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I looked at the file and it show the the board thickness is only .125 1/8" and the min. the machine will carve is .500 without a sled. Are you using a sled to run this project?

Dan,

I attach my 1/8" stock to a 1/2" board so it is thick enough for the machine.

davej1701
09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for reporting this. This is a known issue that will be corrected in the next release. The quick workaround is to select "yes" to "cut board to size" when asked at the beginning.

Thank you. It's good to know that I am not doing anything wrong. Any idea when the next release will be available?

WRW
09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi davej1701
I just checked and there is an update to version 1.153 there now.
Have a great day.
Richard

Kenm810
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
### (IV) Release Notes ############################

14 Sep 2009 -- Differences between versions 1.153 and 1.152
* Started adding Pattern Editor help files
* Improved Z-stall handling for CarveWright Racing jig
* Fixed "Check Tracking roller" error during backlash measurement
* Fixed projects with only 1/16" cutting bit that did not cut
* Fixed Spline Tool accelerator key ("V") and in Drawing menu
* Fixed bug where Download Scan was disabled (Pattern Editor feature required)
* Fixed text in Registration Wizard to avoid confusion
* Fixed development tools showing up in menus
* Fixed unnecessary "Cannot Cut Through" error

davej1701
09-17-2009, 11:46 PM
WooHoo - Thanks for the software update. My cutouts are working perfectly again.