PDA

View Full Version : Question about Carving Bit taper angle

mtylerfl
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Hello,

You math whizzes out there - I see folks stating the Carving Bit has a 7° taper to it. I was always under the impression it had a 3° taper (or 3½°).

So, which is it? A 7° or a 3°?

Pratyeka
09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Both! 3.5 is half the 7 deg. angle, or the angle in reference to the axis line. The total angle is 7 deg.

HighTechOkie
09-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Precisebits.com lists their carving bit (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp) as having a 5.13° half angle. LHR's carving bit has the same 1" flute length (Depth of Cut). Their bit is also a 1/4" shank that tapers down to a 1/16" ball nose. Doing the math, it would be somewhere close to that. I know it is definitely larger than 3.5°. I'm not sure where the 7° figure came from.

Rob

eromran
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Precisebits.com lists their carving bit (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp) as having a 5.13° half angle. LHR's carving bit has the same 1" flute length (Depth of Cut). Their bit is also a 1/4" shank that tapers down to a 1/16" ball nose. Doing the math, it would be somewhere close to that. I know it is definitely larger than 3.5°. I'm not sure where the 7° figure came from.

RobIn one of the videos for STL importer they mentioned compensating for the 7 degree taper of the bit i think.

mtylerfl
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
In one of the videos for STL importer they mentioned compensating for the 7 degree taper of the bit i think.

Yes, that's one of the references that I was referring to. Joe Lovchik did the excellent video tutorials. In one of them he mentioned compensating for "the 7° taper". (Joe L. is the brother of the inventor of the CarveWright machine.)

A couple years ago, I was chatting with the inventor (Chris Lovchik) and during our conversation he mentioned that the bit had approx. a 3° taper.

So, if someone carves a pocket into a board, will a sidewall of the pocket have a 3° taper or a 7° taper? (or 3½° if you want to be more accurate).

liquidguitars
09-17-2009, 06:44 PM
The stock 1/16" carving bit will take a 7 degree cut off a 90 edge all the way around cutting .75" deep.

For a 13" wide part i would set designer to 13.20" thats .14" of a inch with a little extra for sanding.

LG