PDA

View Full Version : New Bit Install

James RS
09-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Just wondering on installing a new 1/8" cutting bit would it mess the machine up if there was a little bit more sticking out? The reason I ask is I got a replacement from Ron and it's a 1" cutting area with a 3" shaft. I'd like to utilize more of the cutting area.

Thank You,
Jim

AskBud
09-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Just wondering on installing a new 1/8" cutting bit would it mess the machine up if there was a little bit more sticking out? The reason I ask is I got a replacement from Ron and it's a 1" cutting area with a 3" shaft. I'd like to utilize more of the cutting area.

Thank You,
Jim

Think about it!
You will never use more of the cutting surface. The machine has a maximum limit on the depth the bit is allowed to carve.
AskBud

James RS
09-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Think about it!
You will never use more of the cutting surface. The machine has a maximum limit on the depth the bit is allowed to carve.
AskBud

Sorry Bud I totally phrased that wrong, I wanted to make sure the bit holder didn't hit thus utilizing more of it.

rjustice
09-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Thank You,
Jim

Hi Jim,
You can allow the excess shank length to go up into the spindle. It is completely hollow almost to the tip of the flex shaft. So, if you leave about 1" to 1-1/4 sticking out you should be fine.

Hope this helps. If it isnt answering your question let me know... I would be glad to help you in any way I can..

Happy Carving,

Ron