PDA

View Full Version : Bit Maintenance?

Deolman
09-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I did a search and could not find anything. I had a 1/8" cutting bit come loose in the adapter. Fortunately all it did was mess up the adapter. Even the carve came out OK. I went to put the bit into a new adapter and tried to set it up at approximately the same depth. The screws just weren't lining up with the flat spots. I checked another new bit and the depth was about the same as the old one. In order for me to line up the set screws into the flat spots on the bit, I had to insert the bit about 1/4" deeper into the adapter. Does this sound right? Should I do some maintenance on the new bit and check for alignment of the flat spots? Are new bits being sold with out the screws aligning on the flat spots?

Pratyeka
09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Sounds like your bit was not set right from the factory. Always verify all your bits you receive from LHR to confirm that they are set correctly into the bit adaptor, that the 2 set screws are tight and have loctite on them, or get a rock chuck and eliminate all these details.;)

DocWheeler
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Deolman,

Given the success of the Rock Chuck (that is longer than the QC), the distance from the bit-tip to say the bottom of the Z truck does not seem to make a difference. I think the only concern is to have everything as rigid as possible, leave room for the chips to get out of the way, and keep the overall length as short as possible.
If there is plenty of room for chips to get out easily, I would think that shortening the bit would be an advantage.
Just my opinion.

rjustice
09-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Deolman,

Given the success of the Rock Chuck (that is longer than the QC), the distance from the bit-tip to say the bottom of the Z truck does not seem to make a difference. I think the only concern is to have everything as rigid as possible, leave room for the chips to get out of the way, and keep the overall length as short as possible.
If there is plenty of room for chips to get out easily, I would think that shortening the bit would be an advantage.
Just my opinion.

I agree Ken!

Ron