PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible / the correct way

Griz64
09-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey guys,
I have been a lurker for many months but recently joined the board so I could buy carve daddy's machine. I have not gotten it yet but I have been playing with the software to get used to it. Ok so here it is. I am wanting to do some fret work. I normally do all my fret work on a scroll saw and I usually use 1/16 to 1/8" walnut. I have some patterns I am interested in doing on much thicker wood like 1/2 to 1". I am guessing that because of the intricate detail I will need to use the smallest cutout bit and I would hate to put that much pressure on the bit and bend or break it. So here is my question-Is it possible to run the pattern the first time only taking off up to 1/4"-then running it a second time taking off another 1/4" and maybe a third time for a total of 3/4". Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I hope someone will enlighten me. Thanks all.

eromran
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum follow this link http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks and read through them there is plenty enlightenment there. There is tons of info on this sight Check out LG's sight for guitar info its a great site www.liquidguitars.com Hope this helps.

SteveEJ
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,
I have been a lurker for many months but recently joined the board so I could buy carve daddy's machine. I have not gotten it yet but I have been playing with the software to get used to it. Ok so here it is. I am wanting to do some fret work. I normally do all my fret work on a scroll saw and I usually use 1/16 to 1/8" walnut. I have some patterns I am interested in doing on much thicker wood like 1/2 to 1". I am guessing that because of the intricate detail I will need to use the smallest cutout bit and I would hate to put that much pressure on the bit and bend or break it. So here is my question-Is it possible to run the pattern the first time only taking off up to 1/4"-then running it a second time taking off another 1/4" and maybe a third time for a total of 3/4". Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I hope someone will enlighten me. Thanks all.

If I am reading what you are wanting the answer is yes. When defining a cut out or cut path, you can in the software define the maximum cut depth per pass. In fact, this is what you will need to set to avoid breaking bits when cutting a path that is too much for the bit to handle in one pass.

If you are wanting to have separate depths in differeent projects then that is possible as well. I have one pattern that cuts 1/4" and named it "Project.025" and another identical project with a different cut depth of 1/2" and named it "Project.050"..

Lots of different ways to do things.

Griz64
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Appreciate the quick responses guys. Would I need to remove the board between cuttings or would I be able to leave it where it is so I wouldnt have to line it up?

PCW
09-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Appreciate the quick responses guys. Would I need to remove the board between cuttings or would I be able to leave it where it is so I wouldnt have to line it up?

You will not have to touch the board. If you set your cutout in designer not to cut more that .250 at a pass the machine will make three passes to cut out .750 stock. The machine will continue cutting till all passes are complete.

Griz64
09-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Sorry for the stupid questions. Where would one go to make that setting? I have looked and cant find were to set how much to take off per pass. Thanks gang

AskBud
09-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Sorry for the stupid questions. Where would one go to make that setting? I have looked and cant find were to set how much to take off per pass. Thanks gang

When you select the "Cut Path" Icon, you may set your Maximum Pass depth.
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
09-11-2009, 11:19 PM
vector lines when you pick the bit to use there will be boxes at the bottom to set depth and max depth per pass.