PDA

View Full Version : Forsale Carve Wright

fbrittain
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
SOLD FORSALE Carvewright. about a year old. less than 40 hours. Machine worked beautiful until I Installed The Rock Chuck. The bits will not go in correctly and I cannot get the chuck off without tearing up the z truck. Maybe some of you machinist-mechanic types can fix it. Due to ill health I don't feel like trying further. I'm using version 1.152 and centerline text.
Includes
2 ballnose bits with holders-2 v bits(60 & 90)with holders.-1/2"cutting bit no holder2-1/16 carving 1 almost new 1 used,w/holders-2- 1/8 cutting w/holders 1 almost new 1 used.
1- Rock chuck with all wrenches less removal tool. Lifetime guarantee? stuck on will not come off.
Owners Manual for Machine and software, Tips and tricks ect, printed and in binders.
I really regret selling my machine but I just don't feel like fixing it. I have made some beautiful carvings in this machine and was probably one of the better built ones. I have the origional box for shipping. $1000.00 obo plus shipping charges. Please P/M me if you are interested. fbrittain

Pratyeka
09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Maybe there is a CW owner in your area that could take a look-see? And maybe give you a hand? From what you describe, seem the Rock was not installed correctly, mistakes happens. If you could take a picture of the Rock maybe someone could tell whats wrong just by looking. Lots of people here eager to help.

glassocean
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm in Ft Myers as well, where about are you located?

Jeff

fbrittain
09-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Maybe there is a CW owner in your area that could take a look-see? And maybe give you a hand? From what you describe, seem the Rock was not installed correctly, mistakes happens. If you could take a picture of the Rock maybe someone could tell whats wrong just by looking. Lots of people here eager to help.
Thanks for the encouragement, yeah I guess I cross threaded it or something.I had a neighbor look at it and everything he wanted to do seemed too rough. I am having some health problems and just haven't felt like worrying about it. If I don't sell it maybe I'll feel better later. fbrittain

al2888dj
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
might have some rust on it .also are you turning the wrench the right way,???? facing the chuck top wrench to the right, bottom wrench to the left to take off mine had rust build up good luck

fbrittain
09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
might have some rust on it .also are you turning the wrench the right way,???? facing the chuck top wrench to the right, bottom wrench to the left to take off mine had rust build up good luck
Thanks for the suggestion. I turned the removal tool to the right while anchoring the slim wrench on the machine at the left side. also used liquid wrench for a week before final try. the second removal tool broke. I used a sharp jerking motion to try to break it loose.It must be cross threaded even though it went on fairly smooth. an expert machinest told me that he could remove it if I took the motor off but taking the z truck off is beyond my scope and I don't want to tackle that job. but if I don't sell the machine that will be my next thing to tackle. thanks again, fbrittain

rjustice
09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I turned the removal tool to the right while anchoring the slim wrench on the machine at the left side. also used liquid wrench for a week before final try. the second removal tool broke. I used a sharp jerking motion to try to break it loose.It must be cross threaded even though it went on fairly smooth. an expert machinest told me that he could remove it if I took the motor off but taking the z truck off is beyond my scope and I don't want to tackle that job. but if I don't sell the machine that will be my next thing to tackle. thanks again, fbrittain

Hi fbrittain,
Sorry i havent got back to you sooner with some help. I have been in an area that had no cell, or internet service this week. To remove the Rock, you dont want to use the square tool. You want to use the 2 flat wrenches. What i would recommend is the following:

1) First make sure the locknut (the 3/8 diameter part that clamps on the bit) is in at least flush with the outside of the bit adapter. If it is sticking out any at all, it will not let you get the thin wrench engaged all the way.

2) Place one of the thin wrenches in the slots on the bottom part, which is the bit adapter. Rest this wrench on the shelf of the machine so that it holds itself in position. You will have to raise or lower the "Z" truck to get it in an ideal position.

3) Take the second thin wrench and place it on the locking collar which is the upper part. If you are standing on the keyboard side of the machine you will push the upper wrench away from you.

If there is anything wrong with the Rock Chuck I will replace it free of charge if you return it to me. I would guess what has happend is that you may have accidentally clamped up on a flat on one of the bits. If the problem is that you cant get a tool to go in, or come out here are a couple of solutions to try, which can be done without removing the Rock Chuck from the machine.

If the tool doesnt want to come out:

1) Loosen up the clamp screw with the "T" handle until it is all the way out.
2) Then, turn the screw 3 turns back into the Lock nut.
3) Take a small hammer or something similar and tap on the edge of the screw that is exposed outside of the Bit adapter body. This should push the locknut about half way out of the bore that holds it in place, and remove the Burr that was probably kicked up from clamping on a flat.
4) Now, remove the screw all the way out, and place the end of the "T" handle into the screw hole, and push the clamp nut the rest of the way out of the Bit adapter.
5) Inspect the clamp nut... If you see any sharp edges or burrs, just lightly remove them with a file.
6) You can then replace the locking nut back into the Bit adapter. Make sure it slides in and out of the Bit adapter freely.
7) Once you know it moves freely, pull it almost all the way out, and slide one of your cutting bits into the bit adapter, then push the locknut back into the bit adapter. You will rotate the Locknut until the arc that is ground on the outside lines up with the outside of the bit adapter. You will feel it easily engage with the tool shank.
8) If it is seating properly, it will line up perfectly smooth to the outside of the bit adapter. Then, place the screw back into the locknut and tighten it up... It should work perfectly again....

If you cant get the tool in, you probably have the locknut turned slightly:
1) Loosen up the screw all the way.
2) Push the locknut out using the "T" handle in the screw hole
3) Slide in your cutting bit or one of the Rock Sleeves
4) Push the locknut back into the bit adapter. You will rotate the Locknut until the arc that is ground on the outside lines up with the outside of the bit adapter. You will feel it easily engage with the tool shank.
5) If it is seating properly, it will line up perfectly smooth to the outside of the bit adapter. Then, place the screw back into the locknut and tighten it up... It should work perfectly again....

Be sure that you are facing the flats on the cutting bits and/or the slits in the Rock Sleeves towards the Hex in the Clamp screw (where you insert the "T" handle) This prevents you from clamping on a flat, and gives you the very best condition for clamping pressures. See the pictures below

Of course if you need to contact me, you are welcome to do so. You can email me your phone number by clicking on the link below in my signature. I promise to help you through anything that is related to any problems you are having with the Rock Chuck!

Best regards,

Ron

fbrittain
09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi fbrittain,
Sorry i havent got back to you sooner with some help. I have been in an area that had no cell, or internet service this week. To remove the Rock, you dont want to use the square tool. You want to use the 2 flat wrenches. What i would recommend is the following:

1) First make sure the locknut (the 3/8 diameter part that clamps on the bit) is in at least flush with the outside of the bit adapter. If it is sticking out any at all, it will not let you get the thin wrench engaged all the way.

2) Place one of the thin wrenches in the slots on the bottom part, which is the bit adapter. Rest this wrench on the shelf of the machine so that it holds itself in position. You will have to raise or lower the "Z" truck to get it in an ideal position.

3) Take the second thin wrench and place it on the locking collar which is the upper part. If you are standing on the keyboard side of the machine you will push the upper wrench away from you.

If there is anything wrong with the Rock Chuck I will replace it free of charge if you return it to me. I would guess what has happend is that you may have accidentally clamped up on a flat on one of the bits. If the problem is that you cant get a tool to go in, or come out here are a couple of solutions to try, which can be done without removing the Rock Chuck from the machine.

If the tool doesnt want to come out:

1) Loosen up the clamp screw with the "T" handle until it is all the way out.
2) Then, turn the screw 3 turns back into the Lock nut.
3) Take a small hammer or something similar and tap on the edge of the screw that is exposed outside of the Bit adapter body. This should push the locknut about half way out of the bore that holds it in place, and remove the Burr that was probably kicked up from clamping on a flat.
4) Now, remove the screw all the way out, and place the end of the "T" handle into the screw hole, and push the clamp nut the rest of the way out of the Bit adapter.
5) Inspect the clamp nut... If you see any sharp edges or burrs, just lightly remove them with a file.
6) You can then replace the locking nut back into the Bit adapter. Make sure it slides in and out of the Bit adapter freely.
7) Once you know it moves freely, pull it almost all the way out, and slide one of your cutting bits into the bit adapter, then push the locknut back into the bit adapter. You will rotate the Locknut until the arc that is ground on the outside lines up with the outside of the bit adapter. You will feel it easily engage with the tool shank.
8) If it is seating properly, it will line up perfectly smooth to the outside of the bit adapter. Then, place the screw back into the locknut and tighten it up... It should work perfectly again....

If you cant get the tool in, you probably have the locknut turned slightly:
1) Loosen up the screw all the way.
2) Push the locknut out using the "T" handle in the screw hole
3) Slide in your cutting bit or one of the Rock Sleeves
4) Push the locknut back into the bit adapter. You will rotate the Locknut until the arc that is ground on the outside lines up with the outside of the bit adapter. You will feel it easily engage with the tool shank.
5) If it is seating properly, it will line up perfectly smooth to the outside of the bit adapter. Then, place the screw back into the locknut and tighten it up... It should work perfectly again....

Be sure that you are facing the flats on the cutting bits and/or the slits in the Rock Sleeves towards the Hex in the Clamp screw (where you insert the "T" handle) This prevents you from clamping on a flat, and gives you the very best condition for clamping pressures. See the pictures below

Of course if you need to contact me, you are welcome to do so. You can email me your phone number by clicking on the link below in my signature. I promise to help you through anything that is related to any problems you are having with the Rock Chuck!

Best regards,

Ron
Ron, I sold the machine to my grandson this weekend. he is cnc savvy and we were able to get the botton part off. you were correct. burrs. we got it so that the bits go in and out but not smoothly. he is going to try some more but you may be hearing from him. his name is william(bill)wilson. I told him that you would replace if necessary. Thanks for your help. Felix Brittain

rjustice
09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Ron, I sold the machine to my grandson this weekend. he is cnc savvy and we were able to get the botton part off. you were correct. burrs. we got it so that the bits go in and out but not smoothly. he is going to try some more but you may be hearing from him. his name is william(bill)wilson. I told him that you would replace if necessary. Thanks for your help. Felix Brittain

I will be glad to help him understand the operation of the chuck. Either here or he can click on the email link below for direct email communications...

Thanks again,

Ron