PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Flexshaft

flyingemt
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
NEVER LET YOUR TEENAGERS MESS WITH YOUR CARVER!!

It would seem that with no patience for waiting, my son ran a 4hr carve without waiting for dad, and needless to say, MELTED my flexshaft sheath. I had told him that I needed to lube it prior to his starting, well you know kids.

Anyway, am ordering a new flexshaft assembly, which the cost he is working off, however, can anyone provide details as to how to remove from the motor assembly? I have mine torn down to that point, but have not removed the motor as of yet, hoping I wont have to.

Please advise.......

Flying............

want2b
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
You don't have to remove the motor assembly. Go to the troubleshooting PDF section or to the Carvewright home and selest downloads. Either will provide you with a PDF for replacing the flex cable and lubing.
Rick H.

mtylerfl
09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
NEVER LET YOUR TEENAGERS MESS WITH YOUR CARVER!!

It would seem that with no patience for waiting, my son ran a 4hr carve without waiting for dad, and needless to say, MELTED my flexshaft sheath. I had told him that I needed to lube it prior to his starting, well you know kids.

Anyway, am ordering a new flexshaft assembly, which the cost he is working off, however, can anyone provide details as to how to remove from the motor assembly? I have mine torn down to that point, but have not removed the motor as of yet, hoping I wont have to.

Please advise.......

Flying............

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I'll bet your son feels bad, but it might not be his fault.

Do you know if your flexshaft had the Chain Lube with Moly? Please read the following (if you haven't already)...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=1470

c6craig
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Look on the bright side...as a teenager, by breaking the machine and fixing it he will be well prepared for a long term ownership of this baby as he gets older. :) I have torn this thing down and replaced parts so many times I feel like I was part of the R&D team LOL. At least he has enough of a burning interest in woodworking not to wait for Dad!

See if these will help you, they are from the troubleshooting section off the CC website.

Good luck with the repair and don't get too mad at the kid, we were all there once ;)

Craig

dbfletcher
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
ya... just be glad he didnt think to himself... "gee.. if i hook this up to 240v I can do my 4 hr carve in 2 hrs!!". I remember that is the way i thought in my younger days... ok fine.. sometimes those thoughts still creep in my head.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Haha Doug - reminds me of the time the neighbor kid asked me if I knew how to hook up a microwave to a car battery...This was in Miami after hurricane season, no power, everyone cooking on grills. You can always count on kids to think outside the box :)

flyingemt - played right, I'm sure the next unsupervised carve will be a "#1 Dad" plaque 8)

Craig

dbfletcher
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Isnt that the truth. It is amazing what can be accomplished when you dont know something cant be done.

Doug Fletcher

rjustice
09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
ya... just be glad he didnt think to himself... "gee.. if i hook this up to 240v I can do my 4 hr carve in 2 hrs!!". I remember that is the way i thought in my younger days... ok fine.. sometimes those thoughts still creep in my head.

Doug Fletcher

Doug,
I hate to admit to this, but Mom had a quilting business back in the 70's... I was about 10 or 12 yrs. old... she had one of the first pair of electric sissors made. She put me to work with them on cutting out the quilt squares. I had the bright idea to take them out to dads cabinet shop and try them on 240 to see if i could make a good thing GREAT!!!... Man did they sing!... They vibrated your hand so much that it would start tingling after about 15 minutes of use. Funny thing is, they never burned up either!.... what a fluke! (For all you kids out there, (and kids at heart) DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!)

:D

Ron