PDA

View Full Version : 44+ hours used and 9 months's problems

normd
09-08-2009, 10:19 AM
My real problem is I can see that if it worked it would be fun and possibly rewarding.
It can not finish a project of the size of the one CW sends out with out crashing several times requiring at least disassembly and repair or new parts! I being up and "working at 7 am eastern time and liking to finish in early afternoon, prefer not to be trouble shoot all afternoon with the tech guys only to find out the next morning that it has the same or another problem the requires another lunch time call to Texas!? The latest project gave me a new twist it just stops and goes to the start menu (1. project.) about 10 minutes after strating the carve.

Can and will Carvewright make this machine run in a manner that would be reasonable to expect from a product described in thier lit?
What would the gurus of carving suggest?
I am much more upset then I am expressing! So as to get the most useful input.
OPtions, Send it back for them to FIX
Sell it as at a major loss
???
?
I will be talking to CW this week

cnsranch
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Norm

I really hate when guys have problems, because the machine is so much fun when you don't.

I saw MT's clock you turned out, so it looks like the machine has worked at some point.

I also see that you have a refurbished machine - does that mean it's not under warranty?? If it is, I'd send it back to LHR - I'm assuming that they can bench-test a machine for problems (yep, I do know what "assume" means:mrgreen:)

Finally, maybe you're lucky enough to have a member of the Forum close by that can help you out.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Wilbur
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I sure can understand what you are going through. I had the same problem with my new machine. It got so bad that I took it back to Lowes and got my money back.
I went for two days and decided I would give it another try. I went over to Sears and got another one with a 5 yr warranty, knowing that I could get my money back if I decided to do so.
I am very happy I took another chance. I am up to 400 hr run time with no problems.
I did get the Rock chuck. I new I would do this if I got another one.
Carving is so much fun.

Wilbur

cnsranch
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Great stuff, Wilbur.

I sure am glad it's worked out for you - I remember your frustrations in the beginning.

wasacop75
09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
The cross and the plaque look great. nice natural finish on the wood.

normd
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
After talking to Joe , I have sent it in for rehash. Now I wait to see if it comes home ready to work.
Norm:cool:

cnsranch
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Personally, I think you made the right decision, Norm.

I got my fingers crossed.

ruggybear
09-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Norm,

After having many issues with my machine I just up and sent it to Texas without consulting with LHR. I did include a list of complaints. They called me with an estimate and I told them to DO IT!! My machine was out of warrenty. In a week it was ready for a return trip as soon as I paid them including shipping.

When I received the machine I did the following things:

1. Lubed the newly installed flex shaft per PDF file.
2. Installed newly purchased ROCK Chuck.
3. Test carve and still had some "Clean Y Rails" error messages. Installed new 1/16th carve bit and that problem has not resurfaced.

I had many other issues as well. The machine has now been carving error free since May 09. I can;t remember ever carving so many projects without issues for so may hiours in one day (over 12 hours) with only a cleanup after each carve.

LHR did a wonderful job refurbishing my machine and making me a happy camper.

I think you made the correct decision.

normd
09-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Got a call saying it is being shipped back . Hope it is ready to work!!
Normd:D

hop

TerryT
09-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Norm,
I hope it is finally fixed for you. I was one of the lucky ones I bought my machine new from Sears a couple of years ago. I'm going on 700 carve hours, made hundreds of signs plaques and trophys, made some money and had a helluva lot of fun with not too much repair time. I would do it all over again... and will buy another machine soon.

normd
09-29-2009, 02:35 PM
First try; rear roller stuck, A couple of cycles up and down with my finger and it was ok.
I put the board (top butterfly box ) back in and ran it -Good
Ran the sides -good
So far they get 85% VERY Acceptable .
Will post again after it has run for awhile
Norm :-D

TerryT
09-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Glad to hear it. Hope it all goes well.

normd
10-08-2009, 10:49 AM
New error voltage flucuation and z-axis stall . Have talked to level 0 and level -1 techs for most of the day yesterday with no solution , waiting for next level tech to call me back (up to 24 hours) meanwhile I sit and sand and stew. Any recourse?
Norm D

DocWheeler
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Norm,

Check Al's (Al Who) posts about the L coil.

normd
10-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Went through those on my own and with tech and with second tech still no call back from " Hi tech"

normd
10-09-2009, 07:47 AM
No ,I joined "the club" so far a very good investment. Talked with Omar last evening and expect a call back today.

normd
10-09-2009, 11:35 AM
This morning I did more investigation and found that the vertical and horizontal ribbon cable supports were not snapped together. Which got me looking very close at the ribbon cable where it enters the dust cover on the board on the z-axis carriage. My eyes did not see anything but I took the probe from my ohm meter and held it against the bottom of the cable and ran the other probe across the contacts where the other end connects to the board and got continuity. There fore BAD cable! Omar is sending new cable.
Thanks Omar

normd
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
since last post ,replace "fcc cable" replace Zmotor pack and brain adn kill a month with now a total 70 + hours on the machine in more the 9 months. It has been back to them once and had several other parts replaced ! All I want is a machine that runs Anyone know how to get it fixed or replaced ? They keep trying but I've spent money and 1/67 of my life trying to use a machine that is not meeting the reasonable expectation of the purchaser!!!
Normd