PDA

View Full Version : Possible text clipping problem

dhesse
04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Just found an issue with the first letter of some text being clipped by the text box. I was using a font called "Kristen", which just happened to come with the laptop I use for your software. Also, since I did not notice this clipping issue before I carved the project, I know the machine cuts it just like you see it :-)

Specifically, I have text in the box that starts with a lower-case j, and the hook of the j is being clipped. Not sure if this is anything you can account for in the software or if it is a limitation of this particular font, but figured you should at least know it occurs.

yenne
04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes, I've seen this on some fonts when the metrics (a font term for letter size measurements) don't properly match the actual glyphs. When computing the space required, the Designer is handed incorrect information and cannot properly lay out the text.

When I see that this happens, I've had success adding extra spaces to the beginning or end of the text in order to make it appear properly in the preview window.

This is something I'm looking into to see if we're just doing something wrong.

Juno2
08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I've had this issue in Graphic Layout programs as well, usually for print it isnt a problem and the whole thing shows up fine on paper, but you might even try a return after the text string...just an idea and no guarantees it will work.
What font was it? I can see if I can help with a solution since I'm fairly good at wrestling fonts and software that use them.

BobHill
08-06-2006, 03:00 PM
With stubborn fonts, so far at least, I've had good luck by rastering it and then bringing in the text to the work piece. Have you tried that, if substituting the font isn't in order?

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Juno2
08-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Try vectorizing the font to paths and saving as an editable .eps format, if you have software that will do that.(programs like Illustrator, Corell and Freehand do this, among others) Make sure you save it as an editable .eps or it will default to the programs native one instead and the Raster program you use will most likely not recognize it.
Then, open in a Raster program (Photoshop type) at a minimum of 300 dpi and a fair dimension size, (maybe set it to the dimensions you will be using it at) hit ok, then see what you get.
The lines should be very crisp and in a program like Photoshop you can pull them at any resolution and dimension they will be very nice. I have some other ideas I'm gonna try right now to see if they work as well. Will let you know what I can come up with.
I usually use Photoshop for my raster stuff but I imagine PaintShopPro will work good too.

If any of my explanations are confusing, just let me know and I will attempt to explain in different terms.

Juno2
08-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Here are some of my results fiddling with the fonts from Vector to Rasterized then imported to the CarveWright Software:

Example 1 (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1203656/FunWithFonts3c.jpg)

Example 2 (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1203656/FunWithFonts3b.jpg)

dominulus
09-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Try this to avoid glyph clipping:

Space
Return
Space
The letter(s)
Space
Return
Space

That puts proper spacing above, below and to both sides of the letterform. CW Designer will ignore all the spaces and returns, and simply carve the letter(s).

mtylerfl
09-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Try this to avoid glyph clipping:

Space
Return
Space
The letter(s)
Space
Return
Space

That puts proper spacing above, below and to both sides of the letterform. CW Designer will ignore all the spaces and returns, and simply carve the letter(s).

Good tip, Dominulus. Works great!