PDA

View Full Version : Owl Project

RayTrek
09-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Hello All

Owl Project

Just for fun the owl has a towel hanger that is attached to a slide and is wired to the wings so that they flap up and down.
Started 11:00AM, carve was 2 hours @ Normal, both sides and vector cut with 1/16” carve bit, in re saw Cedar with a framed carrier and cut out on the band saw ¼” blade. Some other parts were made separate.
1) The top, back, hanger and spacer was traced and cut on band saw.
2) The slide, I cut the beveled edges first to fit back side slot and then cut the depth with a slight taper to give the wire tie room to work, Band saw.
3) The bottom slide guide, Is three parts, one rectangle and two top guides were cut from the left over slide, and used the band saw to give it shape.
4) Belt sanded wings to about ½”.
Some sanding and glued it up, drilled the holes for hardware in the wings, I put markers in the pattern for location, I gave the glue up about two hours clamped used tite bond 3, next did some Dremel clean up sanded edges with a 4” round orbiter, sprayed on some clear lacquer – 5:00PM. For me that’s fun.

Continued ~

RayTrek
09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Continued
Well here it is if you want, The MPC is over 2 meg so I put it into three MPC files.
First open “OwlBuild01slice” next open ”OwlBuild01slice2” and open carving list, right click the group and select all, right click again and copy, next click on the “OwlBuild01slice” tab, right click on the board and select paste this should place the group onto the board where I had it original. Now open “OwlBuildWingsHangers” and repeat above procedure. Now it is all on the same board.
Note, the back side carve slot is on all three MPC files make sure it lines up - see “OwlBuild01slice 2” for how it should be.
Also fell free to change and crate your own version of the project.

Hope you enjoy and want to thank every one ho has given their great projects, pixs, and learning tools, paid for and free they are all good.
Cheers and good day ~ Ray Ver. 1.152 and working great.

James RS
09-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Nice project thank you, think I might dabble at it during the cooler months

Thanks,
Jim

Kenm810
09-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Ray,

Cute Project, it reminds me of American Folk Art.
They would be fun towel hangers to carve for the Cabin
or Cottage Up North. :grin:

Thanks for Sharing your Ideas and Photos

swhitney
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice Idea!!! Great Plan, can't wait to go an carve it!! Wait, I think I will....Bye

ajk
09-06-2009, 01:24 PM
That's Very Nice. Thanks For Share It

Ajk&hilda

rfoster
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Thank you very much Ray... Great project and I am looking forward to carving it very soon.

Richard :)

Ike
09-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Ray thank you so much for the project and carrying on the spirit of sharing! It is refreshing to see a friend that shares rather then looking for that extra buck! No offense to those who business is projects and patterns!

Ike

b.sumner47
09-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the pattern.I was having a tough time, this will help me quite a bit . Thank very much. Capt.Barry

cestout
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Ike,
No offence taken, but a little guilt felt. I am a vendor in the Pattern Store, but also a customer there. If I could afford to be a carvaholic just for recreation, that would be great, but I am retired and wishing I were living a fixed income, but it is actually diminishing. No offence meant to you, but I want people to know why we/I try to make a buck. I price my stuff quite low because I figure other people are also scraping by. And I spend time here looking to see if I can help someone, just a you do.
Clint

RayTrek
09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your enthusiasm and nice comments.

I do enjoy sharing with you its like the Thailand. People say “Same – Same” I feel that I have received much from this great community.

If you carve it I would love to see pix’s.
Have Fun ~ Ray

LittleRedWoodshop
09-06-2009, 09:33 PM
very nice project - thank you for sharing.........

Ike
09-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Ike,
No offence taken, but a little guilt felt. I am a vendor in the Pattern Store, but also a customer there. If I could afford to be a carvaholic just for recreation, that would be great, but I am retired and wishing I were living a fixed income, but it is actually diminishing. No offence meant to you, but I want people to know why we/I try to make a buck. I price my stuff quite low because I figure other people are also scraping by. And I spend time here looking to see if I can help someone, just a you do.
Clint

Clint none taken I know there are members who need the money and I am ok with it ! Plus I know patterns and projects take time to create. I always give my patterns away because I know on the flip side there are members who want a pattern or project, but can not afford them.

So I find it refreshing when Ray shares his projects he is very talented so we as members benefit from his sharing! Please feel no guilt I am glad we have several sources for patterns and projects!

Ike

LittleRedWoodshop
09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey Ray....

Hope you don't mind - I put the pattern back on one board and I am sharing the link to the download 2.12mb.... again, great project - I will be doing mine tomorrow.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3yztjghmtjy/the whole owl.mpc

Old Salt
09-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks looks very good

Deolman
09-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Great project! Thank you very much.

James RS
09-07-2009, 06:50 AM
You know I went by the downtown toy store yesterday and it gave me an idea on a option for this project. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a small propeller above linked to the wings? Just a thought, and this is still a nice project thanks for sharing

Jim

GrammaPam
09-07-2009, 08:35 AM
How cute is that!
Great narative, also. My "To Do" list keeps growing but that is going to be a really fun one. Actually they are all fun, but that one is for sure a winner.
Thanks for sharing
G.P.

P.S. Also appreciated the comment about the upgrade version of software. I'm not so afraid to upgrade now.

RayTrek
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello,

Ike, I to am a vender and have also bought many patterns, I also have gotten many patterns and projects from the community, there is even a Folder named Ikes patterns
So thank you for comments about the sharing and the selling I hope I can do both as so many have.

Jason, Cool! Thanks for putting that on one MPC file, I do not have that option to link it like that at this time; I can’t wait to see yours carved please post pixs.

Jim, I like it – the joining of creativity is exciting and fun for me, and I love seeing what other people come up with.
Another thought I had is a clock, and its workings make the wings flap on the hour do not know how to make that happen at this time but having fun.

Ken, Some of my favorite projects have been rolled from this, “American folk Art”

Thanks again every one, and I are excited to see your projects, Large and small they all have something to give.

Ray

P.S. Thanks G.P. also I really enjoyed seeing your projects – they are very fun! And very well done. A side note; from ver. 1.132 the software was a little buggy but ver 1.152 has been working great for me.

mtylerfl
09-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your enthusiasm and nice comments.

I do enjoy sharing with you its like the Thailand. People say “Same – Same” I feel that I have received much from this great community.

If you carve it I would love to see pix’s.
Have Fun ~ Ray

That looks like a really fun project! Thanks, Ray - great work!

LittleRedWoodshop
09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Check out this thread on the CNC Art Guild Of America Forum (if you didn't know the Forum is all new). We have a place to share large files - the nice thing is the fact that it is actually becoming a repository for CarveWright PTN, MPC, MPW, STL files, etc.... we are currently hosting 1934 files and we have had 13,356 downloads in 6 weeks. So, please feel free to put your files there: also makes a great file back-up (in case from computer crashes).

Learn how to share files: http://cncartguild.forumotion.net/how-to-file-sharing-f43/how-to-file-sharing-t105.htm

Download Files: http://www.mediafire.com/cncartguild

For other Free stuff (Software, Educational, Project Plans, Files, Newsletter) visit my website: www.LittleRedWoodshop.com

cestout
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I would take a good sized propeller to drive them wings unless you figure out some kind of counter balance. Maybe some kind of spring setup of even carve the same wing pattern smaller on the back to make them hollow and lighter.
Clint
Just made me think of something I got at an AT&T school I attended near Chicago years ago. Read this:
C M DUKS
M ARNT DUKS
O S A R
C M WANGS
L I B M R DUKS.

dbfletcher
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Cute.. I had to read it three times before i finally got the meaning!