PDA

View Full Version : Sled ideas

DocWheeler
09-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought it might be nice if there was a place to add ideas about sleds and jigs. There have been several people that have used T-nuts or T-slots to create sleds, I really liked those ideas. I never took the time to create those because it seemed that there was no one-size-fits-all sled size. So here is what I have been doing with some success.

Using a piece of 3/4" plywood (B), I fasten 3/4" X 3/4" material on the long edges (A). In this example, the same 3/4" material was used on the ends also (A) in the first photo. Since I wanted the most amount of open area as possible, this works well. The only problem is that the sensor that measures the sled needs a continuous surface to read the width and at least an inch wide surface for the second edge finding for length. If you set the rear roller on the 3/4" end piece to start with, the sensor is only an inch or so toward the center of the machine - so that piece of material (F) for the sensor to read is not very wide. For the length measurement, the piece of material can be even smaller (G).

I create an MPC to carve the centerlines (C) both ways in the bottom of the sled. I try to cut my project pieces to a uniform width so I can screw down guides (E). On this last project, I put screws (D) into the sides of these guides to "fine-tune" the centering the pieces because they were two-sided carves (it did not work well).

The second picture shows a slot that I cut in the ends of the material to hold it securely to the sled.

The third picture shows the index-corner (A) that goes in first on the keypad side. B, C, and D were previously described. E shows the way I fastened this piece of material to the sled - a couple of T-slots would have worked great, especially if they were always in the right places! As it is, I just put a lot of holed in my sleds!

I hope that this helps in some way and I also hope that others add their ideas.

AskBud
09-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Here is a link to a PDF on one of my sled designs.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Multi-Use%20Sled.pdf

rfoster
09-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Doc and AskBud, I really like using the slot in the end of the project board and holding it with washers and screws. Rock on.....

Richard :)

bfortin
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Doc and AskBud, I really like using the slot in the end of the project board and holding it with washers and screws. Rock on.....

Richard :)

Does the sled have to be the same height/thickness as the work piece? I like to cut 1/4 to 1 inch stock, mostly smaller than what the machine recognizes. I am making a sled 2 inches deep with 2 ends, inside the ends, that slide into the workpiece to hold into place. Why 2 inches deep? So I can use wing nuts to hold my 2 false ends into place. I will cut 2 slots the length of my 3/4 ply to slide the wing nut bolts up and down the length. I would make it a double sided sled which means I will have the same dimensions as the first. Mainly to accomadate the wing nut to avoid any damage to the machine.

DocWheeler
10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
SideHobby,

With the firmware changing so often, it is hard to answer these kinds of questions. With older firmware (have not tested this lately), having the board surface more than about a quarter inch below the sides created an error.

You might be better off to use a T nut in the carrier board and use machine screws. I'm assuming that you are making slotted pieces to slide against the "board".

PS - I'd like to explain the first post; that piece started out to be the "front" which was longer. Spoiled the piece when the bit came loose, so I made it into a "side".