PDA

View Full Version : Question about removing Q chuck.

kenerv1
09-05-2009, 09:51 AM
This my first chuck removal. I don't know if I have the red thread locker or not yet. I can't seem to seat the square tool deep enough to put any pressure on it,..it slips out. Should it seat deeply, which would indicate I may have sawdust or obstruction up in the socket, ...or is the tool slipping a common problem. Thanks for any help.

Kenm810
09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
You should have a clear shot right through the carving head and chuck assembly,
also some folks have posted that they removed the Top Hat
to get a better seat and grip with the Square tool.

kenerv1
09-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Ken
That is exactly what I needed to know. I didn't realize you could access from the top. I get a good grip from the top, but now I know I must have the red thread locker. I can't budge it.

Thanks again
Looking for the heat gun.
Ken Erv.

Kenm810
09-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Also you might want to look at this ionf from Ron (rjustice)http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,440

Gean
09-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I just removed mine yesterday. I was nervous about the heat (I had to use a torch). Just as Ron J. says, put some aluminum foil behind the QC and wrap above the QC with a cool wet cloth. I also tried to direct the heat on the QC from left to right to keep from toasting anything behind the foil. Have faith, it'll come loose.

Gean

DocWheeler
09-05-2009, 01:50 PM
As has been stated elsewhere, heating the rod and bit adapter at a remote site and then inserting it into the QC after it is hot works as well without undo heat in the CW.
Did that a couple of days ago and it worked well - even just using a heat gun!

kenerv1
09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
As has been stated elsewhere, heating the rod and bit adapter at a remote site and then inserting it into the QC after it is hot works as well without undo heat in the CW.
Did that a couple of days ago and it worked well - even just using a heat gun!

Your suggestions and encouragement are greatly appreciated. I'm going to find a metal dowell, hold it under my armpit until it glows red hot, and go for it.

Ken Erv

SteveEJ
09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE THAT HOT! :)

Sorry.. Couldn't resist..