PDA

View Full Version : Changing Measurement

James RS
09-05-2009, 08:52 AM
I wanted to know how I can change the dimension measurement of an object without it changing the other measurement. Everytime I try and adjust the measurement it changes the
other one.

Thanks,
Jim

dbfletcher
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I assume you are talking about patterns? With vector objects (rectangle, etc) you should be able to change the heigth/width independantly. With pattern, when you change one the other changes to keep the aspect ratio the same. If you really want to change just one, add atachments to the two sides that shouldn't move.. then when you change the mesaurement of to what you want, the attachments should keep the other measurement in tack. Perhaps someone else has an easier way.

I also just noticed you can use the yellow midpoint dots to drag just height or width. It is not as exact as just typing in the number, but you can get close... and dont have to fuss with attachments.

Of course there is always the chance I have totally misunderstood the question.

Doug Fletcher

James RS
09-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Doug,
The problem I am having is with a vector object, I type in the width the length changes.
Vice versa when I try the length, I thought maybe there was a option to uncheck a link as there is in the import section.

dbfletcher
09-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Any chance you can post the mpc so we can see what you are talking about??

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

James RS
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Here it is, now try changing it to 14 inches by 4 inches.

Thanks,
Jim

dbfletcher
09-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Here is a revised one by just using the yellow midpoint control points. I dont know how exact you need to be, But I wouldnt think a few thousands wouldnt matter. If you zoon im you can get it more accurate. I changed the upper left one.

Doug

HighTechOkie
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Here you go. It appears this is actually an outline of a pattern, thus the reason you are having such a problem.

Rob

dbfletcher
09-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I zoomed in and now the upper left one is 14x4 exact.

Doug Fletcher

dbfletcher
09-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Rob,

Did you do it the same way i did by using the center control points? I'm always interesting in how others accomplish the same task.

Doug Fletcher

Here you go. It appears this is actually an outline of a pattern, thus the reason you are having such a problem.

Rob

HighTechOkie
09-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Rob,

Did you do it the same way i did by using the center control points? I'm always interesting in how others accomplish the same task.

Doug Fletcher

Correct. I typed in 14 for the length, zoomed all the way in on the yellow midpoint and dragged the height to 4.000.

Sadly, in the time it has taken for James to post, and us respond, he could have just as quickly drawn it directly in Designer to exact dimensions.

Why didn't you just draw it up directly in Designer James? I'm not trying to be a jerk, as I truly would like to know the reason. Are you having a problem using the drawing tools in Designer?

Rob

dbfletcher
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Good point. But it was an excellent catch on your part to notice it was an "outline"... so even though the machine cuts it as a vector, it seems it still treats the object itself as a raster.. and that is why it tries to keep the aspect ratio the same. (Guessing on my part).

You right thou, for this example it would have been much quicker to just draw it from scratch using the connected lines tool.

I could still see with a much more complicated path, the need to resize exactly and I'd say the yellow control point and zoom is your best bet in that instance.

For complex geometry, i typically just draw it up in Illustrator and use ai2mpc for the conversion.

Doug Fletcher

James RS
09-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I thought about doing that, but this design came from a Google Sketchup file. It originally had angles on it. But I decided to just make an outline and cut the angles on my saw.

Woodhacker
09-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Attached is your .mpc at exactly 14" X 4". By laying it on a .25" grid and snapping to grid, it comes out just right. Hope this helps.

Richard

AskBud
09-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Be careful as the only one changed, thus far, is the upper left figure.
You may delete the others and then COPY & PASTE the other three.
AskBud