PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Chuck ???

7777david
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I started a new projced but found that I was unable to lock in the bits. I could not get them to stay in and stop wigging. My last project went fine then all of a sudden it changed. I have taken very good care of the chuck and provide the required maintenance.

Dose this have something to do with the release chuck? If so do you know where I can purchase one. Hopefully it is not to expensive.

As always thanks for your help

David

hess
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
I started a new projced but found that I was unable to lock in the bits. I could not get them to stay in and stop wigging. My last project went fine then all of a sudden it changed. I have taken very good care of the chuck and provide the required maintenance.

Dose this have something to do with the release chuck? If so do you know where I can purchase one. Hopefully it is not to expensive.

David

You would be better off to get a Rock but if you are big on the QC I have 1 or 2 I think. They are 29.00

Rick P
09-04-2009, 11:54 PM
David - search on the ROCK...read about them and then buy one. Replace the QC as soon as you can.

7777david
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
David - search on the ROCK...read about them and then buy one. Replace the QC as soon as you can.

I had two responses to my thread and both state to search the ROCK. I have no idea what is meant by the ROCK. Please advise.

Thanks,

David

7777david
09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
You would be better off to get a Rock but if you are big on the QC I have 1 or 2 I think. They are 29.00

I had two responses to my thread and both state to search the ROCK. I have no idea what is meant by the ROCK. Please advise.

Thanks,

David

AskBud
09-05-2009, 01:45 PM
The Rock Chuck is a after market product developed by R. Justice. Many folks have changed to this chuck.
Here is a link to one post, and you will fine several links in Ron's signature to help you understand the product.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12665

DocWheeler
09-05-2009, 01:46 PM
David,

The Rock Chuck is a product of Ron Justice that eliminates many of the problems associated with the QC. Here is a tread that gives some instructions and has a reply from Ron.

7777david
09-05-2009, 05:46 PM

I have a delima - I am old and running out of unemployement and finally starting to sell cavings. The carvings have become my #1 wood product that I sell. I researched the Rock product and agree that it would be the way to go $150. Unfortuantly I need to buy the $29 product and then replace it after I have sold enough to pay for it. It appears that it would not be diffiuclt to install. Any tips would be appreciated.

Please let me how to order one. I would like to get one as soon as possible.

Thanks,

David

DocWheeler
09-05-2009, 06:10 PM

David,

Here is the link (http://www.cw-parts.com), there are things to learn about using it. Watch the videos and search this forum.

PCW
09-05-2009, 06:51 PM
David,

I have two Quick Chucks that I no longer need and you are welcome to for the asking. One is a new pull and the other one has less than 20 hours on it.

Just send me you address in a PM and I will give them to you free of charge.

The labor involved in removing the original QC is the same no matter which chuck you use as a replacement. Just make sure you use the blue Loctite instead of the red permanent alternative when reinstalling.

On my Rock Chucks I have never installed any Loctite on installation and have never had a problem. The two parts (collar/chuck) act as a jam-nut.

SteveEJ
09-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Dan,
You are one fine individual! May you be Blessed in many ways!

PCW
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Dan,
You are one fine individual! May you be Blessed in many ways!

Steve

I feel as if I have been blessed already. It was not to long ago that a good friend from this board sent me some parts that I could not find locally and I will never forget them for that. Thank You

hess
09-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I have a delima - I am old and running out of unemployement and finally starting to sell cavings. The carvings have become my #1 wood product that I sell. I researched the Rock product and agree that it would be the way to go $150. Unfortuantly I need to buy the $29 product and then replace it after I have sold enough to pay for it. It appears that it would not be diffiuclt to install. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Thought I had a new one but mine are the takeoffs. Go with Dan, Now you still will need a sq tool and a thin flat wrench to remove the QC. I have them both from a eBay vender You may need to grind the wrench a bit to fit ,,I well grind it to make sure it fits and send them to you send me a address between Dan and I we will get you up and running

PCW
09-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Hess,

I will send you David information in a PM.

I also gathered up some new bit adapters for the bits that I am sending as well.

SteveEJ
09-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Let me know if you need some more bit adapters. I have two new packs of router QC for sears routers. The adapters are the same even though the chuck is not.

Dan, You started something. During these difficult times I try to help folks, sometimes by paying them to do a job that I need done, other times just plain helping out. Being blessed both in receiving and giving is a blessing in itself. Keep up the good work.. Oh.. You too Hess!! :mrgreen: hehe You are DA MAN!!

twiceretired
09-06-2009, 10:05 AM
LHR needs to take note on this one.

I applaud PCW (Dan), and Hesstx (Hess) for helping 7777david. I am always thrilled with all the help provided by the members of this Forum. Without it David and many others, me included would not be able to have good results, and would have nothing to carve, or be able to repair our machines. A big THANK YOU to everyone.

LHR please refine your QC, which I understand was the start of your business. All it would take is a little R&D money to modify the construction of the QC with a little less meat on one side to give it balance. I was able to keep carving by using parts from two broken QC’s and doing a hobby shop balance. I have less than 40 hours on the machine and have gone through 4 QC’s, and a lot of tightening of other parts, the odds are, not all do to errors on my part.

Like David, a large numbers of us cannot at this time afford any more large purchases, and a reasonable priced and reliable QC is really what we need.

hess
09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
David

Will send the tools out on mon. Like I said these are from a EBay vender that I got QCs from. He says they are the same that CW sends? The sq tool would not fit my spindle so I filed one down. I think I have 2. In the end I just used Rons tools but these will work

You may wish to remove the 2 screws on the Top Hat so you will be able to see that the tool is in place.

hess
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
LHR needs to take note on this one.

I applaud PCW (Dan), and Hesstx (Hess) for helping 7777david. I am always thrilled with all the help provided by the members of this Forum. Without it David and many others, me included would not be able to have good results, and would have nothing to carve, or be able to repair our machines. A big THANK YOU to everyone.

LHR please refine your QC, which I understand was the start of your business. All it would take is a little R&D money to modify the construction of the QC with a little less meat on one side to give it balance. I was able to keep carving by using parts from two broken QC’s and doing a hobby shop balance. I have less than 40 hours on the machine and have gone through 4 QC’s, and a lot of tightening of other parts, the odds are, not all do to errors on my part.

Like David, a large numbers of us cannot at this time afford any more large purchases, and a reasonable priced and reliable QC is really what we need.

Hey I have 2 QCs one is a take off for the Rock the other was giving me the bb marks you are welcome to them. I will never go back to the QC. Once you go Rock you never go back.

hess
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Hess,

I will send you David information in a PM.

I also gathered up some new bit adapters for the bits that I am sending as well.
Got it thanks

hess
09-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Let me know if you need some more bit adapters. I have two new packs of router QC for sears routers. The adapters are the same even though the chuck is not.

Dan, You started something. During these difficult times I try to help folks, sometimes by paying them to do a job that I need done, other times just plain helping out. Being blessed both in receiving and giving is a blessing in itself. Keep up the good work.. Oh.. You too Hess!! :mrgreen: hehe You are DA MAN!!

Hey baby hows the pool coming along?

One thing I can say is the other site tends to enable you to be more tol. Thus you tend to want to help others a bit more. I know this place is great and when it was new and smaller was more than likely outstanding. In fact I dont know but it seems to be openning up over here.

Scary thought

Fact is we all want to help even those like me that dont know Sh(T about any of this stuff

So get the dang pool done so we can have a big pool party and see those legs

henry1
09-08-2009, 05:42 AM

David

David I am same position would love to get the new rock but funds are low here also I have bought the QC 4 time now and man money is short here now ,not only my QC broke my Z truck bearing above the chuck blew apart and so on and many progect on the go and patient a little lest!!!!!!!!:confused:

twiceretired
09-08-2009, 10:31 AM
It looks as though we need a used or slightly use QC exchange service. Someone we can send the taken off QC’s to that will clean them up and send them back out to the people that really need them, and can’t afford the Rock. With the economy like it is there are quite a few in the same boat, and the lake is drying up pretty fast.

cestout
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I am having no problems with my QC since I figured some things out. Keep it lubed. Put lite oil in the top where it slides down, and snap it up and down. Put some oil on you finger and rub it up inside. I keep a thin film of lithium grease on my adaptors. About every third time, following a suggestion I got here, I put some oil in the cup at the top of the adaptor when I install a bit. This is the most important thing I found. When you install a bit (slide the sleeve up - insert the bit - let the sleeve snap down) if you grab the bit and wiggle side to side you will feel play. Now grab the sleeve on the QC, wiggle it and tug down. Now check the bit and zero play. No more ball marks on the adaptors and smother carves.
Clint