PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone look at this MPC

jpaluck
09-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Question - Is this mpc set up right so the outside perimiter will carve sqaure on the outside perimiter meaning 90 degrees on the outisde edge or will it be done with the 7 degree tapered bit...and if thats the case how to I get the out side edge square

Hexe SA
09-04-2009, 08:38 AM
be square from what I can see. I layed a grid over it and snapped to grid and snapped to edge. No change. You may want to do that before you load it. If you want to be sure completely make a test carve in pine on draft.
Eva

jpaluck
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
to rephrase my question - when doing a peirced carving the way I have this set up is the tapered carving bit used for the outside perimiter of the pattern cutout ?....should I be using a cut path?

Thanks for your help

HighTechOkie
09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
This looks like one area where Designer does not truly render what you will get. The edge of your part will stall have a 7° taper since the area is carved away using the carving bit. Only way to have a straight edge is to use a straight bit. It would take a 5 axis machine to create a straight edge using a tapered bit.

Just select your pattern, choose Outline. Apply a cut path, flip cut and you will be good to go. Any inside corners will still have an 1/16 radius to them and would require some hand clean up of course.

Rob

jpaluck
09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
thanks for your help Rob

jpaluck
09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Rob

When I choose the flip cut path does it I am assuming this puts the cut path to the out side of the line...is it exact? or when modelling do I need to factor in the 1/8 gain/loss?

Thanks

HighTechOkie
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
For a cut path, the software uses the bit's outer edge to follow the path, basically being a material boundary. You do not need to factor in the bit's radius.

Rob

Woodhacker
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
When you flip the cutout it will place it on the outside of the path. Another way to handle getting a square edge would be to leave the edge alone in Designer and cut it outs quare with the tble saw.

Richard

www.go3d.us
09-04-2009, 02:38 PM
The CW machine will never give you a straight 90 degree edge with the taper tip bit. The only way to get 90 angle edge is use 1/8" straight bit but then there will be some manual cutting later since the bit can't get into small cracks.
I rather do it with a band saw, save some tress on the machine and a lots of hassle.

HT