PDA

View Full Version : Measure twice, cut once, but still screwed up

JDPratt
09-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Okay, I screwed up. I measured and cut my board for a carving and forgot to add the 7 in. The carving does not start until 10.5 inches down the board. Should I recut, tape on some extensions, or will it be okay to stay under rollers since the carving starts and ends well away from the ends of the board?

John

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
You can start over and tell it to NOT stay under rollers and then it will work.

Not being under rollers can lead to a board lifting up and binding the bit and breaking the bit..... Careful.

Or tape some wood on like I do. I have stock in Masking Tape so use lots...:-D

AL

dbfletcher
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Do you have 3.5 inch's on both sides of the carving? If so, you should be good. You say your carving doesnt start until 10.5 inches down the board... so certainly you should be good on that side. In a pinch I have just taped a 3.5 piece of scrap to the end of a board when I made 'whoopsies" like that.

Good luck,

Doug Fletcher

JDPratt
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys, by what you are telling me it should still be good. The carving will be 10.5 inches from either end of the board. So I should still be able to select "stay under rollers" and not worry about the extra 7 in. Next time I will remember.

dbfletcher
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Umm.. it depends on what size your project board is. I think you best bet is to say "no" to stay under rollers. Becuase you have 10.5 inches on both sides, the board will always be under rollers anyways when carving. I think if you say yes and dont have the +7 inches based on you project board size, it will prompt you to load a new board.

Are you telling the machine to cut board to size? That is one area I could see as a problem spot if you didnt include the extra 7 inches from the get go.

Doug Fletcher

JDPratt
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
No I am not cutting the board to size. Sorry I can't post mpc it is on another computer. The board measures 4" wide x 1.75" thick x 48" long. The patterns do not start until 10.5" from the end of the board and finish 15" from the opposite end of the board. Stay under rollers?

mtylerfl
09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
No I am not cutting the board to size. Sorry I can't post mpc it is on another computer. The board measures 4" wide x 1.75" thick x 48" long. The patterns do not start until 10.5" from the end of the board and finish 15" from the opposite end of the board. Stay under rollers?

JD,

You need to say "NO" to the stay under rollers prompt, as AL mentioned. (Otherwise you will get a scaling prompt.) You will be fine since your carvings are way far from the ends. BTW, your board will indeed remain under the rollers anyway in this case!

cnsranch
09-04-2009, 12:04 PM

JD

If your real board is the same dimension as the one you've entered in Designer, and the patterns don't start until AT LEAST 3.5" from each end, tell the machine to NOT stay under the rollers. Again, that's ok, because the board WILL stay under the rollers because the machine doesn't need to move the board any closer than 3.5" from each end.

If the board is the same size as the one you've entered in Designer, and you tell the machine to Stay under the rollers, it will ask you to scale the project to fit the board - that you DON'T want.

cnsranch
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
MT, you need to go on Millionaire - you have the fastest finger thing down :mrgreen:

JDPratt
09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input and help.

mtylerfl
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
MT, you need to go on Millionaire - you have the fastest finger thing down :mrgreen:

Ha! Like AL has always said - it sometimes looks like a "feeding frenzy" to help folks the fastest!;)