PDA

View Full Version : Raised Carvings

ByBry
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I see lots of examples that show the carving as a raised result on a surface that is lower than the carving. I can set this up as a nice carving but it is always recessed into the wood. I know about inverting the pattern so it isn't a question of that. My real question is how is the surrounding wood removed from the rest of the surface so that the finished product truely does look like it is embossed on a flat surface?

Is this done with post carving router work? Will the Carvewright do it for me?

I'd like the floral pattern in the enclosed image to appear raised off of the wood.

:confused:

dbfletcher
09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
What you are looking for is to add another rectangle around the stuff you want to look "raised".. then you make it a carved region and set the depth to your liking. If you want to keep the centerline, do a search on the forum as there are several posts of how to do centerline with a carved region.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I could not open the file as I am still using a older version.

Because the bulk of your project will be cut away, you have 2 choices.

1. Make a carve region on your board leaving wood on the left and right side for the rollers to ride on them as the carve region wood is eaten away leaving your raised fish.

2. Or you can make a sled with rails that keep the rollers off your carve region as it does the same thing.

Read over Tips and Tricks and it will explain it better.

AL

Doug beat me.... Types and Thinks faster than me....

ByBry
09-02-2009, 08:13 PM
That is so perfect I can't believe it. Thanks so very much.

PCW
09-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Is this what you are looking for?

dbfletcher
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
whoops.. my bad.. didnt even notice the text was raster. Just so used to seeing centerline!

Sorry

Doug Fletcher

ByBry
09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
You have solved my problem. I am exhausting myself creating designs.

Other than routing edges, squaring, and joining does anyone have any carving uses for the supplemental router bit set. Any great surprise results?

dbfletcher
09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
If you are going to ever get centerline text option, you'll want the v bits. Other than thoses I cant say I use to many of the others... I have the full bit set too... and I have used them all.. just not that often.. i use these most often:

1/16 carving
1/8 cutting
3/8 stragiht
60 v
90 v

And after Pratyeka post...

3/8 keyhole bit (you either need the rock or an empty qc adapter for that)

Doug Fletcher

Steven Alford
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
With a lot of the projects that I do, I don't like to use the CW to do the final routing; too hard on the machine. Also, when you build a four-sided box that gets a routed edge all the way around, it is very difficult to get all four sides to be accurate with the CW, since the wood can move in the machine or any other problem. So I will take the Ogee bits and put them in my router table and route the sides of boxes that I have made after I put them together. That way they are accurate.

wasacop75
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I dont use the machine to do the final routing. Its just so much quicker to use the router table and just go with it..

But that is MHO:roll: