PDA

View Full Version : Bits?

lostinthefrost
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I just blew out my 3rd Cutting bit. I am in a hurry to finish 2 projects before a baby comes in a few days. My local lowes (2 stores) nor sears carries any CW bits. Anyone have an idea if a menards or lowes would carry something similar to that cut off? I know I am using a 60 degree and 90 degree from vermont. I just didnt want to order from the CW site until I know it's my last hope.

Thanks guys...

hess
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Lost
there was a few posts about 2 mos ago where floks are using a bit they were buying from Lowes were needed asap Type in Lowes see if it comes up. It was not a CW bit

bwnichols
09-07-2009, 07:17 PM
...your material thickness is no greater than 3/8". As my material is 1/4" HDPE plastic, it works very well for me, and at $15 per bit the price is such that I won't get a sudden cramp in my wallet if it breaks. Which BTW, it hasn't yet, while I've broken two CW 1/8" end-mills in this my first month of ownership.

The first end mill to break was my fault, by taking over-aggressive passes in MDF.
The second one to break was due to a spindle stall, whereby the flex shaft started spinning a groove into the top of the spindle and stopped turning the tool. More about fixing that problem in a separate post... (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=102533#post102533)

Note that Diablo bits are top-quality solid carbide, and stocked by Home Depot -- surely Bosch has an equivalent available thru Lowe's. As a mechanical engineer, it didn't take too long to figure out that the CW 1/8" cutoff bit is essentialy a "4 flute square end carbide end mill", so Google that for competitive online pricing. The 1/4" shank option is a bit hard to find, but not an issue if you have the RockChuck and the 1/8" adapter collet.

SteveEJ
09-07-2009, 07:46 PM
If you don't have the Rock Chuck then Ron at cw-parts.com carries a 1/8" bit adapter for the quick change chuck. He also carries a real good 1/8" cut bit that will fit into the Rock with a sleeve or a QC with the adapter. Try not to cut more than .2" deep passes at a time. This may save you some bits as well.

SAA3840
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Run back to Lowe's and buy a 1/8" straight bit. It will cut down to 7/16" and unless you really have to have the CarveWright make the cut all the way through, it will work fine. And at $13 each, they're a lot cheaper than the originals.

Instead of a cut-path, make a 1/2" deep, 1/8" cut and finish it with a band saw, scroll saw or a jig-saw.