PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Box Project

mtylerfl
09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Hello,

The latest POM (Project of the Month) is the "Butterfly Box".

This project features a detailed Monarch Butterfly carving for the top of this unusual decorative box. The wings overhang the graceful classic shape of the base for a truly unique appearance. Makes a great gift!

The overall size of the Butterfly Box (including wing overhang) is about 12½" wide x 8" deep x 4¾" tall.

The project is carved and cut out with the two bits that came with your machine. The dado grooves for the box bottom and the miter cuts for the sides are performed on a table saw. Anyone with basic woodworking skills can make this project. (You can optionally use a "by-hand" miter box and forgo the dado cuts if you wish.)

NOTE: You can also use the included box base design in this project along with any other lid design you make yourself to create your own unique customized boxes!

Main items you will need:

1) The 2 Project Files (included):
• Butterfly_Box_Lid.mpc
• Butterfly_Box_Sides.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Butterfly_Box_Lid: .75" x 9.25" x 20"
Butterfly_Box_Sides: .75" x 11" x 25”
Box Bottom: 1/8" or 1/4" plywood sheet
(or ½" stock for “no-dado” construction)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Hinge for lid (¾" x 4" piano-style)
(I used Brainerd hinge # 1264XC)

4) Wood chisel for creating hinge mortise, if desired

5) Sandpaper, box clamp (strap), wood glue, Super Glue (optional), wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) Optional: Table Saw (highly recommended)
(you’ll need a miter box if no table saw is used)

7) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing

Lin
09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Gorgegous Box Michael.....hoping LHR sends the links out soon.
Lin

mtylerfl
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Gorgegous Box Michael.....hoping LHR sends the links out soon.
Lin

Thanks Lin. The LHR team is working to make the project files available ASAP.

My wife fell in love with the box - she wants to give the original one I made to our daughter and have me make another one for her to keep and "who knows how many more" for gifts!

leesheridan
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Again Michael your work has been another homer. You have added so mush to the value to our machines and the dreams that we all have in what we want to accomplish with our machines. And your always around to answer our questions.
Thanks
Mike

RayTrek
09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Another Month zips by and the list of carvings to do gets larger.
Thank you Michael for all you do ~ Great Projects for all and the how too, I for one have learned much from doing your wonderful projects.
Cheers ~ Ray

jiml
09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I just tried to download the POM and the file is empty 0 KB.
I tried it twice still nothing.

Lin
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Same with me...It has happened again. I'm thinking this is the third time they have sent out a link to an empty file in the last year.
Lin

Shawnf2
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Have the same problem empty file. The same thing happened a few projects back Lhr will fix it,if Mike lets them know

atauer
09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
It's being fixed as we speak...

atauer
09-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Problem has been fixed and project has been re-generated on the server. You should be able to re-download the file now.

swhitney
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Yep - works fine!!!

MCGEE2SKINNER
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Mike
Well you did it again. Now Im going to have to work for the next month.
My wife will want 6 of these boxes. She raises butterflyies and tags them for the University of Kansas. Thanks again keep up the good work.
Jim mcGee

mtylerfl
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Mike
Well you did it again. Now Im going to have to work for the next month.
My wife will want 6 of these boxes. She raises butterflyies and tags them for the University of Kansas. Thanks again keep up the good work.
Jim mcGee

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad you are enjoying the projects - I do too!

Sorry about the brief snaffu about the empty files - I still do not know how that happens. Looks like all is well again, thank goodness.

Jim, that is really cool about your wife raising butterflies! You'll need to post some pics of her collection and "nursery" sometime. My wife doesn't raise butterflies, but I think she'll make me build at least 6 boxes too.;)