PDA

View Full Version : y motor problem?

rickyz
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
my carvewright seems to be slowing down on the y-axis. what are the signs of a y motor going out on me? today I started to do a basic 5x7 picture frame which I have done before and I didn't even get to one percent when I heard the machine struggle and then jump a tooth . I stopped the machine immediately. On recent projects, the y axis just doesn't seem to be going as fast as it used to. I put a fresh bit in and it seems to blacken the bit almost immediately. just replaced brushes in cut motor. I use mostly select pine in the machine and am wondering if the y motor is slowly going out. any ideas would be great.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Blacken Bits are usually QC problems with a bad QC and bit Flutter. Buy a ROCK.

First thing I would do is clean the rails and rollers. Then Blow out the belt cogs. Could be sawdust impacted in the belt. The wiper clips over the bearings need to be cleaned too. Pitch sticks to the flat spot that does the wiping.

Last possible thing is a bad Y bearing in the gear box. There are 2 ball bearings holding the shaft of the big plastic gear and I had one wear the shaft thin. The bearings froze up....

Good Luck,

AL

rickyz
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM
i know it's not the chuck since I do have a rock chuck. I just replaced my z motor pack so i will use the extra motor and see if that helps. i will check the bearing sweepers to but i have a dc hooked up and it does a pretty good job keeping it clean. thanks for the help.
rick