PDA

View Full Version : Question about tabs and back side cuts

cestout
09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Michael T informed us, in his frames Tips & Tricks, that the software figures in the cuts on the back side when placing tabs. I know this is true for software placed tabs, but how about tabs you place with Place Tabs? I am designing a 2 sided carve, and I need to know if I can use Place Tabs or do I have to use the old method of making attachments. I don't know that any of this is in the documentation. But the software advances so fast the it would be impossible to keep up current full documentation. Personally, I will take the software advances and get what I can't figure out answered here.
Clint

TIMCOSBY
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
can only place tabs on the front and they shoud show on the rear when you flip it. wysiwyg type thing.

cestout
09-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I know that, but if the back is carved away, will the tabs lift to compensate. I you have a carved out area, like a picture frame or the lid on the
Round Box, the automatic tabs are lifted to compensate. Does this happen with Place Tabs? If no one knows, I will have to waste wood to experiment and find out.
Clint

RMarkey
09-03-2009, 01:05 PM
no, tabs with the 'place tabs' feature are not lifted to compensate for carvings on the back. You may be able to make larger tabs to compensate, though.

mtylerfl
09-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I know that, but if the back is carved away, will the tabs lift to compensate. I you have a carved out area, like a picture frame or the lid on the
Round Box, the automatic tabs are lifted to compensate. Does this happen with Place Tabs? If no one knows, I will have to waste wood to experiment and find out.
Clint

Hi Clint,

Funny you bring up this subject. I actually wrote an article describing three different ways to use the Place Tabs tool - unfortunately, two of the ways did not work as I expected, so the article was revised showing the "normal" intended use of this function.

I have indeed test-carved the scenario you mentioned (two-sided carve using the new Place Tabs feature) as well as another scenario that I won't get into here. At this time, manually placed tabs do not compensate for any previously removed material from a backside carve if using the Place Tabs tool. However, as you pointed out, the conventional auto-tabs that are created when using the standard cut path tool does have the "smarts" to compensate as in your example of the picture frame route.

P.S. - The next Tips & Tricks topic will be about two-sided carving and setup techniques.

cestout
09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Thank you Michael. I think you did a Tips & Tricks on that subject. If you check my Sundial project (Pattern Store) you will see that I used your attaching method there.
Clint

mtylerfl
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Thank you Michael. I think you did a Tips & Tricks on that subject. If you check my Sundial project (Pattern Store) you will see that I used your attaching method there.
Clint

Hello Clint,

I saw that sundial a few days ago! That is a really, really neat project!

If anyone reading this hasn't seen Clint's projects he has designed, you gotta take a look! Here is the link to the Projects page:
http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=265

cestout
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Thank you Michael. Coming from you that is really a compliment. I worked on it of and on for almost a year, I even had to re-learn trig. A note on this, the order in the carving list does make a difference with nested carve out areas. If you change the order, the inner carved out areas will disappear. Also the project did not work until LHR added Dirft to the designer.
Clint

TIMCOSBY
09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
manual tabs you should be able to change the thickness of them to compensate but i havent tried it. if its going to work you should be able to see them in designer.