PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck ROCKS

leesheridan
09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I can't believe my machine! After installing the new rock chuck, I didn't get into a hurry about the first cut because of all the other first cuts my machines have had. I started on a cribbage board for a 3/6 man board. In other words, a lot of holes as well as 60 deg. bit, and carvings as well. It turned out great. Neither one of my machines have ever cut this good! Out of all the 300 plus holes, not a one was oblong. The carvings were clean and sharp with no fuzzies hanging on. The noise level went down so much that over the sound of the dust collection system you couldn't hear the CW. There was no heat to the shaft either. Maybe, just maybe the rest of the parts will last longer now that they're not under as much vibration. The only problem I have now is that I have to order another one for my other machine. I only got the second machine because I wanted to make sure I always had one working machine if I needed to cut something now. But now I just might have TWO machines. Centerline was a great addition to the system when it came out but the quality of the centerllne cuts now are far better. Between centerline and the rock chuck I think the rock chuck is the better improvement. Don't what, get it now!!!:D

Digitalwoodshop
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree 100%:)

Get the ROCK as soon as you can. I believe all the problems I had with the 1/8 inch bit burning last winter was all about BIT FLUTTER, the sides of the bit bouncing off the sides of the cut path. I have yet to break a tab with the ROCK, it was common to have the Wine Racks 1 inch squares Cut path holes, break off with the 3 tabs holding them with the QC. Not with the ROCK....

SOLID.... I have been cutting clocks all day as I paint signs and posts for Planting on Thursday. The machine is flawless.... Listening with the Intercom in the Laser Shop I must sometimes turn down the Music to here if the CW is still working over the dust collector. I need to install the Dust Collector I-Switch soon....

AL

lawrence
09-01-2009, 09:02 PM
agreed... I don't have that much experience, but what I have affirms that the rock chuck was a great buy for my machine... quieter, smoother... better

Lawrence

leesheridan
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
The basic set up is like my Porter Cable routers. And how long are they going to last. I can't think how many hours I've spent working on my machines and when you think about all the kindling I've made, if they would have ran as smooth as they do now I think we all would have been better off.

rfoster
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I could not agree more. I don't have that much experience, but I have had my machine for almost 2 years and I can not believe the difference. I have not used the Optimal setting since I installed the Rock

Richard :)

SAA3840
09-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Another happy carver here. I can't believe how quiet my shop is now when the CarveWright is running. I can hold a conversation without yelling or having to shut it down. Can't hear the phone, but that's ok. ;)

Gotta get another one for the other machine as soon as I figure out the air-carving it likes to do.

LollyWood
09-06-2009, 01:58 AM
I'll have to toss my grats to Ron also. :D I've had Thing 1 Rock mounted for a month (@30 hrs) The difference is stunning. There's a lot to be said about the wobble (even slightly) of the QC when compared to the Rocks centered cuts. Less fuzz, less chip-out, and crisper detail. Thing 2 is still QC mounted. The difference when both are carving the same Pattern, is noticeable, even at first glance.

Few more orders and Thing 2 will get Rocked, then the twins will be rolling out the good stuff. Thanks for a great add on Ron, Can't wait to see what your gona tweak next. ;)

**I have 2 machines. Thing 1 & 2. I just call em the twins**

Steven Alford
09-06-2009, 05:08 PM
You know, with the great things said about the Rock (and believe me, they are all true) I wonder if LHR has sent a "spy" to Ron's and bought a Rock yet to do their own testing on it???
I would not be surprised if they try to buy Ron out or come up with their own new design.

gsrice
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Based on the forum -- Ordered it last Sunday, got it Tuesday -- been "Rocking" for 30 hours -- the difference in cut quality, vibration, and noise is amazing --

Installation was a breeze -- great investment --

When the next gen of machine comes out needs to be a standard --

Greg

Semper Fi
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I finally managed to get my QC off today and installed the Rock. Fantastic!!!! No heat at all on the flex shaft and the noise and vibration were greatly reduced. Thought I was going to burn up my Z Truck before the Loctite let loose, but it finally let go. This thing is everything others have said! Its a shame LHR hasn't adopted this change.