PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with flexshaft?

mailshw
08-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi,

I am a new owner of a Compucarve (from Sears). I used it approximately 40 hours with no problem, and I loved it :D

Then I got an error message telling me to clean the Y-rails. So I decided to do a complete clean and lube. I disassembled the flex shaft and lubed it according to the manual. Cleaned and lubed Y- and Z-rails. Put it all back together and tried another carve – after about 15 minutes I got the same message telling me to clean the Y-rails.

Then I thought maybe the bit needed replacing (even thought the bits seem expensive to have to replace every 40 hours!). So I did that, then the bit would not turn when the carving started. It seemed tight and would turn by hand, so I thought maybe I assembled the flex shaft wrong. Took it apart again and a spring fell out? This spring is approximately the length of the flex shaft, and I’m not sure exactly what to do with it…

Any advice for getting me up and running again?

Thanks in advance,
Sherri Warner

rwahl
08-31-2009, 06:31 PM
The spring goes inside the flex shaft and the cable goes inside the spring.

Are you sure you have the flex shaft connected to the motor. Mine came off once and they arer hard to get back on.

hess
08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I am a new owner of a Compucarve (from Sears). I used it approximately 40 hours with no problem, and I loved it :D

Then I got an error message telling me to clean the Y-rails. So I decided to do a complete clean and lube. I disassembled the flex shaft and lubed it according to the manual. Cleaned and lubed Y- and Z-rails. Put it all back together and tried another carve – after about 15 minutes I got the same message telling me to clean the Y-rails.

Then I thought maybe the bit needed replacing (even thought the bits seem expensive to have to replace every 40 hours!). So I did that, then the bit would not turn when the carving started. It seemed tight and would turn by hand, so I thought maybe I assembled the flex shaft wrong. Took it apart again and a spring fell out? This spring is approximately the length of the flex shaft, and I’m not sure exactly what to do with it…

Any advice for getting me up and running again?

Thanks in advance,
Sherri Warner

Like the thread before says the spring fits in the Flex shaft. I take the spring out each time I clean and lube the Flex. Make sure the spring is intact and clean it also.
I but the spring in 1st then the cable and when the cable gets near all the way in turn it until it locks into the slot on the motor you will be able to tell there will be some tension when it is in place. Then be sure to hold it locked in while you stick it back in the Top Hat. It was more than likly no inplace all the way and just slipped out

CustomWestCoast
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
After 13 hours of acumilated cut time, my flex shaft broke.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I broke my first shaft after 900 hours..... Lubrication..... Always lubricate the shaft with MOLLY when you first get it.... I believe you can buy just the core, at least that is what I did 2 years ago so it was a quick fix for me... The Spring you can't buy as too many got smashed is shipping and can only get the complete assembly for about $75.00 plus shipping.

AL