PDA

View Full Version : Carging with 1/8" thick

Fardoche
08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Hello,

I know that the carvewright does not recommend to carve a piece of 1/8" of thickness.

I have wood applique to carve (+/- 3" x 16") and I wonder if anyone of you carved a 1/8 thick piece ?

Otherwise, how can I do it ?

See the exemple on the attached file.

thanks for you help!!

Digitalwoodshop
08-31-2009, 03:52 PM
YES, you CAN carve this on the machine. You must use a Carrier Board to hold the thinner material. Since so much of the wood is cut away I would do what I did wanting to cut 1/8 inch plastic for tags. I made a Carrier board and placed a strip of plastic 4 inches long the same thickness as your material. This is to keep the carrier board front under the roller to hold it down. I did not need side rails but your design will. You need to mount the same thickness along the left and right side of the carrier board or sled. Your blank goes into the center, or do 2 or 3 at a time. I used a end piece so I could cut the full 12 x 24 piece keeping the rear under the rollers.

I used double stick tape to hold my stuff... But I am going to try spray photo glue, it is removable.

Good Luck,

AL

twiceretired
08-31-2009, 07:04 PM
I cut out some gears, I used the same carrier board as I did for litho's, worked great.

mtylerfl
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello,

I know that the carvewright does not recommend to carve a piece of 1/8" of thickness.

I have wood applique to carve (+/- 3" x 16") and I wonder if anyone of you carved a 1/8 thick piece ?

Otherwise, how can I do it ?

See the exemple on the attached file.

thanks for you help!!

Hello,

The Tips & Tricks I wrote in September 2008 (titled "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights") tells you exactly how to perform cut outs in thin materials, step-by-step. It's easy!

Here's the link to the Tips & Tricks web page.

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

You might want to read them all - lots of info you may enjoy.