PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this wood corbel with the Carvewright

Fardoche
08-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if I can do that kind of corbel with the carvewright.

This exemple have the following measurements :

Height : 10"
Width(po/in): 4 7/8"
Thickness(po/in): 5 1/4"

Any of you did something similar ?

Do you have any pictures to share ?

Thanks for your help!!

liquidguitars
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Fardoche,

As a solid corbel you will have a hard time with it. With the STL you could give it a stab but it would be tricky and also laminated when finished..

LG

AskBud
08-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I think you are limited to just doing the sides, unless you devise a way to do a "Glue-up" of the front (Possible using STL).
Here is a PDF, from LHR, on the standard possibilities of making Corbels.
http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Feb08.pdf

The maximum depth of carve on the machine is about [0.8] of an inch and cut-outs are a maximum of one inch. STL may expand your size options using different techniques. You will find an entire section on STL (which I have not considered as yet). STL appears to be a good tool, however, there is an additional fee.
AskBud

andes
08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I have a question. I've read the tip on making the corbel (haven't carved), everything is clear, except how do they get mounted to the wall? I didn't see any drilled holes for that.

Fardoche,

As a solid corbel you will have a hard time with it. With the STL you could give it a stab but it would be tricky and also laminated when finished..

LG

Pratyeka
08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I have a question. I've read the tip on making the corbel (haven't carved), everything is clear, except how do they get mounted to the wall? I didn't see any drilled holes for that.
Metal blind hangers. (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=50309&cat=3,40914,50630)

AskBud
08-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I would use a table router and mill Key-Hole slots, or mount metal "Key-Hole" brackets. It would depend upon the weight of the shelf and contents and the wood used to make the Corbels.

I, also, see where we could modify this pattern and add the actual Key-Hole's" to this piece since we are in a position to be looking at the "inside" of the backing.
1) Drill a hole, thru the board, just larger than the screw head.
2) Cut a slot, thru the board, about 1 1/2" long (slightly larger than the body of your screw). I used a rectangle
3) Cut a second slot the same width as the "Drill" hole and longer than the slot in step # 2. Again, I used a rectangle. Stay at least 1/4" from the bottom (the more wood you leave, the stronger the Key-Hole).
AskBud

hogiewan
08-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Metal blind hangers. (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=50309&cat=3,40914,50630)

Thanks for that

lawrence
08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
I've also seen them hung with recessed french cleats, which can be extremely strong as well

Lawrence

Pratyeka
08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Metal blind hangers
Recessed french cleats

Some of the hardware names in woodworking just crack me up:mrgreen:

mtylerfl
08-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Metal blind hangers
Recessed french cleats

Some of the hardware names in woodworking just crack me up:mrgreen:

Now that you mention it - they crack me up too! :mrgreen:

...Bench Dog is another that comes to mind (sounds like a dog that sits under your workbench?)

Pratyeka
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Now that you mention it - they crack me up too! :mrgreen:

...Bench Dog is another that comes to mind (sounds like a dog that sits under your workbench?)

I wonder if any stand-up comedian ever used wooodworking inspired material...:?:

earlyrider
08-31-2009, 10:54 PM
One comedian would have been Don Knots. :rolleyes:

Router-Jim
09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Pocket holes and pocket screws. :D

Back to the corbels. I made a bunch for my sagging shop shelves and documented them here:

http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/showthread.php?t=6928&highlight=corbel

atauer
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Jim,

I forgot all about that thread. It's a fine documentation of what the machine is capable of. Those are some mighty fine looking corbels that you made.

BTW, are the shelves still sagging or did that fix 'em?

Router-Jim
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Jim,

I forgot all about that thread. It's a fine documentation of what the machine is capable of. Those are some mighty fine looking corbels that you made.

BTW, are the shelves still sagging or did that fix 'em?

Thanks!

The corbels fixed the problem. :cool:

liquidguitars
09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
This post went from can i make this corbel? 2 how you can make something not even close to the object in question :mad:

Like, you can play with this truck as long as you keep it in the box.

sorry to the original posters question. :)

LG

Router-Jim
09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Actually the OP's question got answered and we are working on Andes question about how to attach the corbel to the wall. :)

liquidguitars
09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I still trying to make the first corbel as to how you do it.. I made a ton of corbels working as a carpenter but "Fardoche" design is nicely done.

But good info on the mounting and the like..

LG

JDPratt
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Ok, this may be contradictory to why we have this machine but:

I know there is a special enjoyment to using something we created in our projects, but at what point does the time and cost become more effort than just buying the finished product. For Corbels and such, I find that just buying them from places such as Van Dykes Restorers or Osborne wood products is far easier and I can concentrate on the larger product. Given the wear and tear on my CW (and probable replacement of parts), the cost of the wood, and my time (which I also consider worth something), just buying the piece seems more logical in some situations. (IMHO) I tend to just use the CW for those things that are unique in a project or cannot be found in mass production elsewhere. Now if it is a truely unique object or corbel I understand but...

Sorry if that raises the ire of some.

Router-Jim
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Blasphemy!

LOL!!!!!

Pratyeka
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Ok, this may be contradictory to why we have this machine but:

I know there is a special enjoyment to using something we created in our projects, but at what point does the time and cost become more effort than just buying the finished product. For Corbels and such, I find that just buying them from places such as Van Dykes Restorers or Osborne wood products is far easier and I can concentrate on the larger product. Given the wear and tear on my CW (and probable replacement of parts), the cost of the wood, and my time (which I also consider worth something), just buying the piece seems more logical in some situations. (IMHO) I tend to just use the CW for those things that are unique in a project or cannot be found in mass production elsewhere. Now if it is a truely unique object or corbel I understand but...

Sorry if that raises the ire of some.

buying a run of the mill corbel in a store: $15.00
Creating and making one yourself and using it: priceless
It has to do with the enjoyment of creating something, even if it is not outstanding or unique. The creative act is it's own reward.
When we form an idea in our mind and succeed in making it a reality, the time and tools used in the process are not included in the final object, they are merely tools to facilitate the creation of the object.
my two cents.

JDPratt
09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Good point, but...

Replacing parts in your CW to make something you could have purchased = $400, three weeks on the phone to LHR, and the inability to make anything truely unique while the machine is down.:confused:

Pratyeka
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Good point, but...

Replacing parts in your CW to make something you could have purchased = $400, three weeks on the phone to LHR, and the inability to make anything truely unique while the machine is down.:confused:

Well, for my part, the only thing I replaced was the QC when it dies after only 40hrs. I replaced it with a modified Eliminator chuck (not the Rock). Since then tha machine has purred flawlessly. The only problems I see now are software and firmware related.

henry1
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Pocket holes and pocket screws. :D

Back to the corbels. I made a bunch for my sagging shop shelves and documented them here:

http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/showthread.php?t=6928&highlight=corbel

How did you attached them to the wall so to hold the shelf

Router-Jim
09-02-2009, 10:50 AM
How did you attached them to the wall so to hold the shelf

I attached the corbels to the wall with pocket screws and I attached the shelf to the metal bracket (hidden inside the corbel) with a small screw.