PDA

View Full Version : Bit Gauge

rwahl
08-30-2009, 01:54 PM
I had problems raising and lowering the unit and took the top cover off to clean out dust. Got that working and now after I put the cover back on the gauge that flips out for the bit to touch on the the back of the machine wont flip out. I checked all the connections.

Any ideas?

Old Salt
08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
clean clean & oil & clean clean

fwharris
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I had problems raising and lowering the unit and took the top cover off to clean out dust. Got that working and now after I put the cover back on the gauge that flips out for the bit to touch on the the back of the machine wont flip out. I checked all the connections.

Any ideas?

Make sure the wires coming off of the cut motor in the back corner are not in the way of the z truck. Check the movement with the power off, move the z truck all of the way over and see if the back of the z motor is hitting the wires..also check the plastic wire to make sure it is in place..

Steven Alford
08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Better yet, stuff a piece of firm Styrofoam behind the plate to force it in the out position all the time (make sure it is not out too much that it interferes with the Z truck). Then you don't have to worry about it anymore.

AskBud
08-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Better yet, stuff a piece of firm Styrofoam behind the plate to force it in the out position all the time (make sure it is not out too much that it interferes with the Z truck). Then you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Think about it:
I understand the concept of the foam wedge, however, you/we are missing the warning the unit is giving us.

If the bit plate is lubricated and it does not come out, it is due to another problem (probably greater than this aggravation).

From my experience, there is something else at fault far worse.
As stated just prior to my post, the wiring on the Bit-plate side of the unit may be out of position. Further, you may find that you have dirt "In" the track that the truck travels. This dirt may be at the end of the travel and "Packed" tightly within the track due to not being removed by "Blowing" the inner area after each carve. The Bit Plate only extends when the truck applies the proper pressure.

This same dirt may, also, hinder your ability to carve properly on very wide boards.

Lubrication of the rails (or the lack thereof) is also important to consider, and could create some of the same symptoms.

I have noticed that with the constant usage of a good "Front Loading Vacuum system" that I have not had any Bit Plate problems, nor have I had any dirt in the track or cut motor. The vacuum does a very good job of clearing most of the dust/dirt before it has a chance to circulate high enough to settle on those parts.
AskBud

Steven Alford
08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I agree with everything you say Bud. As for me, I could not find out what was wrong with the bit plate, I tried everything suggested. The foam was the only thing that worked and the machine has not blow up yet.

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I have noticed that with the constant usage of a good "Front Loading Vacuum system" that I have not had any Bit Plate problems, nor have I had any dirt in the track or cut motor. The vacuum does a very good job of clearing most of the dust/dirt before it has a chance to circulate high enough to settle on those parts.
AskBud

Gooooooood Sales Pitch.... :)

We might need to call you "Mr Haney" from the Green Acres TV Show... Always pulling down a sales pitch roll up display from the side of his truck.

Never hurts to advertise. I go right for the Signature Block.... I am not shy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Haney_(Green_Acres)

AL

Steven Alford
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Gooooooood Sales Pitch.... :)

We might need to call you "Mr Haney" from the Green Acres TV Show... Always pulling down a sales pitch roll up display from the side of his truck.

Never hurts to advertise. I go right for the Signature Block.... I am not shy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Haney_(Green_Acres)

AL

I really have to laugh at this guys. Here we are on a forum sponsored by the people that built our machines and we do more advertising for our own "products" than LHR does for it's machine; chucks, bits, tools, vacuum goodies, what's next? A whole new machine, bigger and better!! Go figure!! LOL:roll:

fwharris
08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Think about it:

AskBud

Bud,

I could not have said it better!! :cool:

Digitalwoodshop
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Coming Soon... AL's Wine Racks.... Look for a New Improved Pattern SOON in the CarveWright FREE Pattern Thread..... Big Snicker.....

AL :roll::rolleyes:

Bet he just adds 2 more holes to the old one he posted last year.....:mrgreen:

I am surprised there was not more MJ patterns posted....

rwahl
08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
It was the two wires keeping the head from going all the way to the back.

fwharris
08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
It was the two wires keeping the head from going all the way to the back.

Glad you got it fixed!!:)

Wilbur
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
I had some problems with the bit plate the other week and I clean after every carving and lube often but the plate got to where it would not come out on it's on.
I was using a silicone spray lube and found that this was my problem. I started using 10W40 and it works like new.
I guess that the silicone collects to much dust. Not that you can see from out side but the 10W40 clears that up just fine.

Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Just watch the WD 40 if you are finishing the wood. It will cause spots.

AL