PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Sencor and Back Roller Problem

jwhllh55
08-29-2009, 08:05 PM
OK, guys... I was doing a long loom and when the machine was measuring the lenght it would come up with a Track Sencor error, then roll the board out the right hand side of the machine, then abort.. What is going on here?
And error also came up that stated Back Roller Stuck..
The pattern is enclosed. I know the pattern isn't the problem, because I have already carved a test piece.
Is my machine screwed or What???
Thanks,
John
Baker City

AskBud
08-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Start by doing some sensor testing. Also check your material for a void on the bottom where the roller contacts.

After looking at your MPC, which is 3" x 36", I would also check the height of the extra support rollers and check the wood for a "twist/warp".
AskBud

jwhllh55
08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Start by doing some sensor testing. Also check your material for a void on the bottom where the roller contacts.

After looking at your MPC, which is 3" x 36", I would also check the height of the extra support rollers and check the wood for a "twist/warp".
AskBud

Bud,
I'll run a test in the morning. The board is not out of shape and very straight. It's made of Oak. The funny part, is that I just got thourgh with a test run and it worked great.. Now I have this problem? I am thinking the sencor is or going bad. I tried to call LHR and they are not open on Sat like they were.
I know I should of bought a Legacy machine...
Thanks for the input and help.. By the way, the board is seven inches longer than the pattern..
John

robbrigg2
08-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Mine does this from time to time. If you raise the machine up you will see the 2 screws on either side of the roller (each side has 2) that keep the roller in place. If you get into the system tests you will find one for "sensor test" go there and you should see the front roller "released" while the back roller says "compressed". Loosen the screws on the side closest to the card reader and it will most likely change the sensor from "compressed to release". Now while still loosened, use your air compressor and blow out this side and do the same to the other end. Re-tighten the screws. Now compress the roller with your hand to see if it changes to "compressed" on the readout screen. If it does release it and sefe if it goes back. If not I have found a spray of WD works wonders. The last trick I've learned when I have not been able to clear the problem is to lightly tap on the frame of the machine when it does it's measurments. When the board is just about to clear the rear of the machine tap the frame lightly and it will give it just enough vibration to get the sensor to read correctly. Usually after a couple of projects this is no longer necessary.

Hope these two ideas work for you.

jwhllh55
08-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Mine does this from time to time. If you raise the machine up you will see the 2 screws on either side of the roller (each side has 2) that keep the roller in place. If you get into the system tests you will find one for "sensor test" go there and you should see the front roller "released" while the back roller says "compressed". Loosen the screws on the side closest to the card reader and it will most likely change the sensor from "compressed to release". Now while still loosened, use your air compressor and blow out this side and do the same to the other end. Re-tighten the screws. Now compress the roller with your hand to see if it changes to "compressed" on the readout screen. If it does release it and sefe if it goes back. If not I have found a spray of WD works wonders. The last trick I've learned when I have not been able to clear the problem is to lightly tap on the frame of the machine when it does it's measurments. When the board is just about to clear the rear of the machine tap the frame lightly and it will give it just enough vibration to get the sensor to read correctly. Usually after a couple of projects this is no longer necessary.

Hope these two ideas work for you.

Rob, I'll try all of your "tricks".. It's to late now but in the morning boots will hit the ground...Thanks

jwhllh55
08-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Ok, I've cleaned and got the back roller to work, but I am still getting the error on the tracking wheel. I guess I don't understand what is going on for it to work. The wheel isn't touching the new rubber drive belt to the right of the brass wheel. What puzzles me, is the machine was working fine the last few projects and I just wanted to do a simple project and it will not work.
What can I do to find out the problem and fix it? Of course I tryed to call LHR and they are not open on Sat any more. They have made enough money not to worry about us anymore.
Thanks ahead of time.
John
Baker City, OR

Steven Alford
08-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Today is Sunday!!

Steven Alford
08-30-2009, 03:21 PM
I had that problem once and one of the search items I found said to manually push on the tracking wheel in a downward position (gently) and blow air under it. It worked for me.

Dan-Woodman
08-30-2009, 03:47 PM
John
Did you say "it wasn't touching the new drive belt"? Do you mean you have the rubber traction belts instead of sandpaper? If so , did you adjust the board tracking sencer along with the new belts?
later Daniel

jwhllh55
08-31-2009, 12:33 AM
John
Did you say "it wasn't touching the new drive belt"? Do you mean you have the rubber traction belts instead of sandpaper? If so , did you adjust the board tracking sencer along with the new belts?
later Daniel

Yes, The new rubber belts have been installed for about two months and doing fine, until now. I think I'll uninstall the roller and blow everything out again. However, Calling LHR in the morning might be a better idea for now. My machine is out of warranty for over a year. I'm still learning about this machine.. The problem is I have order to get done and the machine is down. Really makes me mad.

Gean
08-31-2009, 09:37 AM
I also had trouble with my board tracking sensor. LHR sent me a new one and as I was removing the metal plate that holds the sensor, the plastic connector that attaches to the sensor came unplugged on its own (almost as if it was already loose). Reach around back of the sensor and its plate and double check the firmness of this attachment. You could remove the side panel and check this also but I think you can check it without doing that.

Gean

jwhllh55
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I also had trouble with my board tracking sensor. LHR sent me a new one and as I was removing the metal plate that holds the sensor, the plastic connector that attaches to the sensor came unplugged on its own (almost as if it was already loose). Reach around back of the sensor and its plate and double check the firmness of this attachment. You could remove the side panel and check this also but I think you can check it without doing that.

Gean

Well, I took off the front cover and checked the wiring and it's looks and feels ok... I have been trying to get LHR on the phone and I get the message machine. What a joke... I'll keep trying however. I need to get back to carving. Thanks for yoiur help...
John

jwhllh55
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, I finially got LHR on the phone and they walked me through getting the back roller unstuck.. That was the problem... He also showed me how to test the compression and how to tell if the roller is working the way it should. The only problem I have is my hands are so big it's hard to push the roller up and down and blow air into the space he wanted me to. LOL... Thanks to all that has helped, I'm in your debt..
John
Baker City, OR

dbfletcher
08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
now that it is fresh in you mind, can you do a quick write up of the step they had you do? that may save many of us the long phone waits in the future.

Thanks,

Doug

jwhllh55
08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
now that it is fresh in you mind, can you do a quick write up of the step they had you do? that may save many of us the long phone waits in the future.

Thanks,

Doug

You don't know what you are asking... I'm getting old and the memory is fading... LOL... But here it goes.

Step 1.
Place a square and straight board into the machine and load up the rollers. Press "0 then 7" it should say " Rollers Compressed" on both front and rear rollers. Then crank the head up to release the rollers. Check what the screen says... If the back roller still says "Compressed" then go to step 2. If it reads released, then your good to go for the rollers.
Step 2.
Take the front cover off and check the wiring for the back roller. If fine, push up on the roller and you should hear a click of the sencor, if you don't hear anything, using compressed air blow between the roller and the rubber washer next to the front frame. You should see a lot of dust come out. I found it easier to place my big hand inside and move the roller up and down while blowing the area stated. I also made sure that both ends were free of dust and moved freely. Replace the cover and repeat step 1.
This should solve the back roller sencor from stating it is stuck or compressed.
I thought I was cleaning everything in the machine, but I can see there is dust everywhere..
Hope this helps everyone with the same problem..
John
Baker City, OR

dbfletcher
08-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Excellent!!! I find that most of my problems can be solved buy searching here way before every getting through to LHR. That is an excellent write up! Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

GrammaPam
10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
John, just thought you should know, your previous problem is still helping other carvers. I haven't tried all your suggestions (did some of the things you mentioned before finding your post) Just saying thanks for sharing.
G.P.

JimmieDuke
10-14-2014, 11:00 PM
I installed the new rubber belts last month and I too have had tracking sensor errors.
I just cutout the T-Rex project and I found I had to adjust the outfeed tables because the boards seemed to drop off too much. I plan on setting up outfeed roller stands for longer boards from now on.
The other thing I have noticed for even short (13") boards is, I don't crank the head assembly down as much as I did with the sandpaper belts (no more than one click of the clutch).
I know I may need to check the head pressure of my machine.