PDA

View Full Version : What programs do I need for STL import?

carlcath
08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
I am struggling with this STL format. I would like to design a 3D still life like a fruit bowl then slice it and carve it. Problem is what program to design in. I have Photoshop, Illustrator, and Bryce which is 3D. None of these will save in STL format nor will they export in STL format. I also have that Google sketch up and Dax Studio 3 and they do not save or export in STL either. What program can I buy to design in and ultimately get it into the STL import program.

I must be real dense to not be able to figure this out.
Carl

eromran
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I am struggling with this STL format. I would like to design a 3D still life like a fruit bowl then slice it and carve it. Problem is what program to design in. I have Photoshop, Illustrator, and Bryce which is 3D. None of these will save in STL format nor will they export in STL format. I also have that Google sketch up and Dax Studio 3 and they do not save or export in STL either. What program can I buy to design in and ultimately get it into the STL import program.

I must be real dense to not be able to figure this out.
CarlFor a quick response go to post 20 by Liquidguitars herehttp://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12549&page=2 but then go to the beginning of thread and read the whole thing its pretty good and you will get to see a awesome guitar at the same time.

Pratyeka
08-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I use MOI (Moments Of Inspiration (http://moi3d.com/)) which is an inexpensive 3d modeler and real easy to learn. It can export to .stl, .obl and .3ds, and a few others.
I don't have the STL import for the designer. I create my greyscale depth maps using Modeler from Stereographic Suite (http://www.indasoftware.com/stereo/).
Both software together cost less than the STL importer.

carlcath
08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Let me be sure I have this right. You would model the still life in MOI then save it as STL right? From that point I would take it to the STL importer and slice it into slices 3/4 inch wide or so then glue the whole thing back together.

If it were 5 inched in depth, I would make 6 or 7 slices right?

Thanks for your input.

Pratyeka, I take it you are using Modeler to make height maps to cut the patterns that are up to .8 inched in depth. Right?

I really appreciate the input
Carl

hogiewan
08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
You can export STLs from SketchUp if you install the plugin.

http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Pratyeka
08-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Let me be sure I have this right. You would model the still life in MOI then save it as STL right? From that point I would take it to the STL importer and slice it into slices 3/4 inch wide or so then glue the whole thing back together.

If it were 5 inched in depth, I would make 6 or 7 slices right?

Thanks for your input.

Pratyeka, I take it you are using Modeler to make height maps to cut the patterns that are up to .8 inched in depth. Right?

I really appreciate the input
Carl

Yep, it's easy in MOI to slice the model any way you want. Line them up side by side and save to .3ds. Open Modeler and import the .3ds, set the camera with a focal lenght of at least 1000mm and render the depth map. then import the depth map into designer. That way you generate 1 pattern that includes all the slices. Or you can generate one pattern for each slice. Many ways to achieve the same result.

liquidguitars
08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Making altitude map to control geometry is not new for most 3D programs having said this, I like the Carvewright STL loader, a really nice solution to importing cad files with out rendering super-bit maps. "2k x 2K"

Sketch-ups solid model plug-in looks good as you start with a simple box object and subdivide into organic shapes like a violin and guitar.

3D Tip:
when working with polygons models I try not to build / use objects that contain 3 sided polys as the smoothing can get distorted.

Once you objects are modeled and finished then let the STL format tessellate as to the final output requirements..

LG