PDA

View Full Version : I must be missing something

GrammaPam
08-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I have enjoyed the numerous, beautiful new patterns of late.
But (you knew there was going to be a "but") Is everyone else out there so amazingly talented and fast in Designer or has someone figured out how to open a .wmf, .dxf or .cdr line drawing right to carving with a 60 or 90 degree bit? Ken, you're the fastest designer I'm aware of, are you transfering files without a .bmp, .jpeg or similar scanned file? Or am I daydreaming?
The new deminsional carving is great but I'm still just trying to get good at the basic stuff.
I welcome any knowledge.
G.P.

AskBud
08-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Not all carvings that look like they are carved with the V-Bits are truly Vector cuts. They may just be a Raster cut. I have an AVI lesson on Designing a Stain Glass Project.
Go to my signature, below, and check the "Download" section. You will see how I re-designed so the V-Bits do the job.
AskBud

GrammaPam
08-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Go to my signature, below, and check the "Download" section. You will see how I re-designed so the V-Bits do the job.
AskBud[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've watched that video! And many of your others besides. Believe me when I say I appreciate all your help. Where would the rest of us be without you!? I especially like your way of teaching.

I do digitize, comes from rotary engraving and embroidery machine background. Designer has a ways to go to be as convienient as some of the other programs I've used. Or maybe a year and a half isn't enough practice. There is a quote: “Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” Well, maybe knowledge comes from practice, too. I still think there should be a way to import a line without it being a raster file.

It just seems like Ken is magic and I'm just naturally a little jealous. I want to be as good as you guys. Maybe everyone just has to have a really special talent. Now my son, Charley, he can fix any machine. I'd like to have that gift also.

In the mean time I'll just keep practicing and trying and learning as much as I can. And I really welcome any help I can get.

G.P.

Kenm810
08-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi G.P.

I just got home and saw your post --- You must be referring to another (Ken) – surely not me ---I’m not really very fast with Designer, and actually slower them folks here when it comes to Computers. I’m just climbing this learning cure like everyone else here. I do make both Raster patterns for carving, and Vector Line Drawing in Designer,
If I get an idea or see something I might want to carve, I take a photo of it and use it as a guide or just grab a pen or pencil and draw a sketch that I can scan and load into Designer. That way I can make a pattern to trace it with the Vector Line tools in designer or just cut it on the project board and Draw it freehand next to the pattern on the board. Then I delete the pattern before uploading on a memory card. The problem is --- so far there’s no way to save the Vector cuts as a pattern, so you have to save the .mpc file and do a copy all and a paste on any new project. It’s been working for me.

Here are a couple of simple examples you can play with,
see what the two Curved line look like to you :wink:

Kenm810
08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Na, You weren't even close -- :razz: