PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

Dan Frecks
08-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, after repairing head pressure, repairing the front roller switch, repairing sandpaper tracking problems, and repairing the bit measurement lever, all on a brand new machine and before making my first whole carve, I went to put on a rock chuck based on everyone's recommendations.

I broke the square tool with a very gentle tug (the Rock Chuck is great, but that fragile tool blows). I fabricated a new tool out of a case hardened bit I had, and tried like crazy to get the chuck off. Applied heat, tugged, applied heat, tugged, nothing doing it would NOT come off. Finally got so frustrated I took the entire machine back to Sears. They had one in the store that was unopened that they had placed on clearance because someone ordered it and never picked it up. They refunded my old one, and sold me the new one for $300 less.

Took the new machine home and began the setup. Head pressure...perfect. Belt alignment....perfect. Roller switches....perfect. Changed to rock chuck without a hitch and no heat....perfect. Carved a sign....Perfect.

I swear, the first machine I bought must have been assembled late on a Friday evening by a blind chinaman on a five day bender and eager to get off work and head out to the opium den. The Quality Control was terrible! :mad: This new one seems to work like a dream, at least for now.

Obviously I am new but I am also very meticulous. I have read hundreds of pages on this and other forums about the CW. My advice is...buy it from Sears and purchase the 5 year warranty, at least if a motor or z truck or something else fails early you may have to endure down time, but not the financial loss of replacing parts. My .02

Again thanks all for your help. I will post pics soon.

Dan Frecks
08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
On a side note, just so you know, I got my chuck hot heating that stock with the torch. I mean HOT. It was not coming off unless I turned the whole chuck into molten metal. Some of these things are just not built as well or as carefully as others in my opinion. It must have had a whole tube of blue Loc Tite on it with super glue for good measure.

rjustice
08-28-2009, 09:17 PM
On a side note, just so you know, I got my chuck hot heating that stock with the torch. I mean HOT. It was not coming off unless I turned the whole chuck into molten metal. Some of these things are just not built as well or as carefully as others in my opinion. It must have had a whole tube of blue Loc Tite on it with super glue for good measure.

Could have also been one of the infamous "RED Loctite" machines as well...

Happy Carving,

Ron

TIMCOSBY
08-28-2009, 11:16 PM
same experience only in reverse. my first machine is great bought a second one and it was a bitch from hell. took it back. i can't understand why there can be such a big diff in machines.