PDA

View Full Version : Trying to see if this is right for me.

watser
08-26-2009, 11:04 PM
I currently do some projects by hand and was hoping this machine could do it instead. I need something that is very precise. Basically I need it to carve something on one side of the wood and then I would turn the wood over on the other side and the machine would carve something on that side. The pieces I'm talking about are small, 3" to 4". I would be using a bigger piece of wood and carving several models from it. These cuts need to be extremely accurate. Also using balsa wood. Would the Carve Wright work for me?

Rick P
08-26-2009, 11:30 PM
watser ... it would help us if you could provide more information ...

thickness of your wood?
3" to 4" wide ??
how long ??
what are you carving? text? artwork?

Maybe you could find someone in your area who has a Carvewright machine and do a trial ??

The Carvewright is accurate for woodworking purposes.

If balsa is the only wood you use you'll need to hear from someone who has experience with that wood. I have never worked with balsa. I'm thinking balsa will not carve very nicely or hold detail, but I'm not sure what you need to do in the balsa.

watser
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Any Carve Wright owners near Blacksburg, VA?

cnsranch
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
The softer the wood, the less detail you get.

Do a search, above, and try "types of wood", or "balsa", or the like.

Icutone2
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Hello watser, welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see some Balsa carvings.
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
If you thinking of making production parts from Balsa for models I believe it would work well. I would think you would need to build a sled with sides and use double stick tape to hold the wood in place. If you cranked down on a piece of balsa you could compact it and have feed problems.

Same with 2 inch foam.... Did anyone have success cutting the 2 inch foam to make cement molds for walk paver's?

AL

cestout
08-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a book in my library full of model planes. I have been thinking of importing some and cutting them out withe the 1/16 cutting bit.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2009, 08:37 PM
I used double stick tape and the 1/16 bid does not pull up on the thin wood like the 1/8 inch bit does. I am going to try spray Photo Mounting that I picked up a Wally Mart. Low Tack and easily re-positionable.

I also plan to make a Vacuum sled to hold the stock too.

AL