PDA

View Full Version : Inlays

JimStaley
04-15-2006, 11:50 AM
When I make an inlay now, I use special collars on my plunge router. I make a 1/4" thick template, then route the female portion of the inlay in the workpiece using one collar and a 1/16" diameter bit. Then I change the collar and rout the outline of the inlay using the same template. I free the inlay using the table saw. It fits perfectly. If I could make an inlay with the CarveWright, it would save me from making a template and probably speed the process. Has anyone made an inlay using CarveWright? How do you do it?

renklint
04-21-2006, 02:35 AM
Has anyone made an inlay using CarveWright? How do you do it?

I'm also interested to see some examples of inlay produced with the carvewright. The way I figure it should be possible to draw a figure, copy it and use "cut path" were you flip the cut-out in one figure.

http://renklint.mypicgallery.com/woodwork/heart_large.jpg

So the heart to the right would fit in the cut-out to the left. Has anyone tried inlays yet?

/Lars

Dan-Woodman
04-21-2006, 03:20 PM
It would about have to be two seperate projects on different boards
The patterns would have to be the same except for the bit offset.
If you duplicate it ,you can't apply a different cutpath to each.
I think you would have to create one project, save, upload to memory card,retrieve origal project change offset, upload that project also.
Does this sound like it would work? later Daniel

JimStaley
04-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Dan,

Yes; two boards of different species would be required. That's how I do it with my router.

I am new to the CarveWright Designer software. Exactly what do you mean by "offset"? Why, how and when does one apply it?

Jim

Dan-Woodman
04-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Jim
I also do my inlays that way.
as far as the offset for an example go to drawing,click on circle.
then go to "cut path" ( mine is third from right icon) that will get you a popup--cut out control--flip cut, then accept. One time you flip it shows the cut inside the line and next time its outside the line . great feature. Later Daniel

Dan-Woodman
04-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Hey Jim Staley
Are you the same Jim that is on the ringmaster form? later Daniel

KarmaJon
01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey Jim
I also do my inlays that way.
as far as the offset for an example go to drawing,click on circle.
then go to "cut path" ( mine is third from right icon) that will get you a popup--cut out control--flip cut, then accept. One time you flip it shows the cut inside the line and next time its outside the line . great feature. Later Daniel

WOW! Capital! Brilliant! Thank you so much, Dan! I was sitting here trying to calculate the addition or the subraction for the radius of the bit on a compound geometric structure... well, 'nuff said... I took a simple jpeg and applied the cut path (flip/hide, etc) that you had described, and it worked out as only I had dreamed! (And here I was feeling sorry for anybody who would attempt something so "complex" as a maple leaf!)

There's power and capability herein waiting to be discovered! Thanks a TON for sharing, Dan! I hope that everybody who bought this machine hoping to do inlay work runs into your advice. :D

I can't find the thread again, but somebody had mentioned the theoretical possibility of cutting the other piece "upside down" (complimentary) such that the angle of the carving bit would line up. I'll post my progress as progress permits.

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2007, 10:02 PM
pOSTING PICTURES WOULD BE NICE ,GOOD LUCK

KarmaJon
02-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah, about that! I recieved my new belts today AND my new probe, however - in the process of making a scanning sled - I have discovered that my X-axis accuracy error remains! Though FAIRLY repeatable, it seems to be off by about 2% over 28", and that just isn't going to cut it. (sorry 'bout the pun!)

I've got other fish to fry, it would appear, but I will share what I learn, to be sure!

fgiesen
11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I read the forum about utilizing "Cut Path" and "Flip Cutout" to do inlays. However "defeat clutched from the jaws of victory".... I want to lay a curved track for a cribbage board (see attachment). For example use a 1/2" bit 1/8" deep. Then make an inlay to fit. The Cut Path tool is not available when using lines. What's the trick?

AskBud
11-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I read the forum about utilizing "Cut Path" and "Flip Cutout" to do inlays. However "defeat clutched from the jaws of victory".... I want to lay a curved track for a cribbage board (see attachment). For example use a 1/2" bit 1/8" deep. Then make an inlay to fit. The Cut Path tool is not available when using lines. What's the trick?

In order to have a "Cut Path" you must have a "Closed" fugure. (Connected lines, in your case).
We would need to see your MPC to know what you need to change on your design.
AskBud

fgiesen
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Thank you. That was the missing link to allow me to move on my learning curve.
One more question; Why when I right mouse click on a line's center point, sometimes I get the "Form" option (to create an arc) and other lines I only get "Attach" and "Insert Vertex"?

AskBud
11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you. That was the missing link to allow me to move on my learning curve.
One more question; Why when I right mouse click on a line's center point, sometimes I get the "Form" option (to create an arc) and other lines I only get "Attach" and "Insert Vertex"?

I'm not sure. It could be as simple as a Locked item, or I may not be exactly where I wish. I, sometimes, roll the mouse wheel to magnify the image so I can be sure where the pointer is setting , and check for locks, etc.
AskBud

PS: I just did another test. I got too close to an END POINT, and the FORM Option was not there. Magnifying is a good thing!

rjustice
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, about that! I recieved my new belts today AND my new probe, however - in the process of making a scanning sled - I have discovered that my X-axis accuracy error remains! Though FAIRLY repeatable, it seems to be off by about 2% over 28", and that just isn't going to cut it. (sorry 'bout the pun!)

I've got other fish to fry, it would appear, but I will share what I learn, to be sure!

KarmaJon,
If your error seems to be consistant, i would recommend calibrating the machine. You will need a 3/8 bit to do so, but it should allow you to tweek it right in, and get the accuracy you would like to see.

Best of luck!

Ron