PDA

View Full Version : Inset? What is it?

jwhllh55
08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
The inset button when drilling a hole.. What does it do and what is it for?
Thanks,
John
Baker City, OR

AskBud
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
The inset button when drilling a hole.. What does it do and what is it for?
Thanks,
John
Baker City, OR

I don't think you are "Drilling" a hole with the Drill Icon. I think you have made a circle and then applied a "Cut-Path". That is where I see the Inset Icon. The Inset moves the bit by the measurement you specify.
AskBud

jwhllh55
08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks Bud,
However, in the drill mode the inset button is there and I can't choose a bit to make the hole.
Please find the pattern I'm trying to make, it's my wife's design. When I load the program in the machine, I get an error that states. "Bit too large".
So, I went back the program and looked at the bit and I can't open that part up. I was wondering what the inset button was for and if it had anything to do with the size of the hole or bit?
Thanks,
John
Baker City, OR

Woodhacker
08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Not too sure what your machine is doing John. I don't have the inset button on my drill function. BTW....what is the loom for?? The LOML would like to know, crafty lady that she is...lol.

Richard

PCW
08-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Not too sure what your machine is doing John. I don't have the inset button on my drill function. BTW....what is the loom for?? The LOML would like to know, crafty lady that she is...lol.

Richard

Richard,

I think that is for making a afghan.

John,

I opened up the file and when I double clicked on one of the drill holes it brings up the drill tool options menu that allows me to edit the settings.

The depth is only set at 0.400. May want to give it a try.

bjbethke
08-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks Bud,
However, in the drill mode the inset button is there and I can't choose a bit to make the hole.
Please find the pattern I'm trying to make, it's my wife's design. When I load the program in the machine, I get an error that states. "Bit too large".
So, I went back the program and looked at the bit and I can't open that part up. I was wondering what the inset button was for and if it had anything to do with the size of the hole or bit?
Thanks,
John
Baker City, OR
What version of CW Designer are you using? When I open V 1.152 I do not see an insert button. To reopen the drill function you need to delete the drill function and then reinstall it. Looks like you can only select the 1/8th or the 1/16th inch bit.

How do you use that Loom. Post the instructions.

Why are you setting the hole size to 0.180"? A 1/8th inch dowel is 0.125"

AskBud
08-26-2009, 12:20 AM
John,
I found where you see the "Inset" indicator. In the attachment I see it in the ToolBar section, however, it appears to have no effect even if it is altered. It is usually applied to functions like the cut-out.

As you can see, in the attachment, the actual Drill Tool (application Box) shows the 1/8" (.125) bit selected at a diameter of (.180).
As PCW just posted, you see your settings by a "Double Click" on the hole involved. You see, there, that no Inset is available.

I loaded your project and had no failure as you describe. I used a board smaller than your design and scaled the project to the smaller width. Therefore, I did get a warning that the drill holes would not be scaled.
I, also, tried a 1/8" bit somewhat longer than my normal bit and had no warning.

I'm not sure what version you are using. I'm looking at 1.152. I do see where there was some sort of "Drill Error" that was fixed in 1.150. Further, just to make sure we are on the same page, I'm using a PC v/s a Mac.

jwhllh55
08-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, you all are right. It's a Afghan Loom.
This is the second one that I have made. The first one was made of Oak and a lot larger. The problem I faced was the oak was to hard and broke often.
This pattern will be made of mahogany. The reason for the depth of the holes and the size is because it the size of the pegs my wife is using.
As you can see there are a lot of holes and a lot of pegs.
My Wife said she could sell the looms at the local craft shop here in town, but after doing a little calculations the loom would cost over $200.
So, I'll make it for her and leave it at that..
By the way, I cut out the "S" pattern and the outside on the band saw and jig saw, it saves machine time.
Thanks all,
John
Baker City, OR

AskBud
08-26-2009, 12:28 AM
At $200.00 the pegs must be made of Gold or other precious metal.
AskBud

Just in case you missed it, see post # 7.

bjbethke
08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Well, you all are right. It's a Afghan Loom.
This is the second one that I have made. The first one was made of Oak and a lot larger. The problem I faced was the oak was to hard and broke often.
This pattern will be made of mahogany. The reason for the depth of the holes and the size is because it the size of the pegs my wife is using.
As you can see there are a lot of holes and a lot of pegs.
My Wife said she could sell the looms at the local craft shop here in town, but after doing a little calculations the loom would cost over $200.
So, I'll make it for her and leave it at that..
By the way, I cut out the "S" pattern and the outside on the band saw and jig saw, it saves machine time.
Thanks all,
John
Baker City, OR
I thought it was for making Tube Socks? Making an Afghan would keep you warmer then just the socks.

How do you operate that thing?

Looks like you are using 3/16th inch pegs, how long are thy? My local hardware store gave me a bunch of 3/16th inch dowels. That looks like a great project to use them.

I searched the WEB on how to use an “S Loom” – I did not find any responses.

You stated that the Oak broke often maybe the holes you are drilling are too small for a 3/16th inch peg. 3/16th inch is .1875. With all those holes there is a lot of stress on putting a larger peg in a smaller hole.

Post the instructions or a WEB site on how to use that thing, thanks for the information.

jwhllh55
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, the pegs that my wife had a hard time finding has a knob at the top of it. The knob is about 5/16th in size. Then she cuts the down to a length of about 1 1/2" long. The she puts a grove on the lenght of one side of the peg. That is for the hook to fit, so the yarn can be pulled over each peg.
My wife is working on instruction on how to use the loom now. I'll post them when she is done. I'll also post a photo of the finished product when I get it done.
I can post a picture of the oak loom now, if I can find it. She sometime takes it to work with her. LOL.. She is really busy to have time to work on the loom at work.. LOL..
Thanks for the post.. I'll try to help as much as I can. But, it's my wife that is the brains in this project..
I can tell you there is a lot of labor in making one of these things.. How she talked me into it is beyond me. Lot of bandsaw and jig sawing and a lot of sanding. The pegs are glued in and sanded smooth. Also with the oak if not sanded really fine the yarn seems to stick when the afghan gets bigger.
John

HighTechOkie
08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Here is a youtube clip I found on loom knitting and different types of stitches. From the quick searching I did, it appears most looms are round. I presume the S shape is just a compact way of having a longer group of pegs to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pclJ7gUvEAY

Rob

awe
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
For a $200 price range might be to stiff unless its make of cashmere or 100% wool

jwhllh55
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I think your right.. The S Loom is for more lenght in the project. However, your asking the wrong guy. It's my wife that knows what is going on there.
In the video it shows a plastic model. And my wife has a number of them. They too seem to brake over the weight of the yarn, and the plastic pegs brake too. We have tried pegs from a cribbage board set. They didn't work either.

jwhllh55
08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
For a $200 price range might be to stiff unless its make of cashmere or 100% wool

The $200 price tag was just a guess.. I was taking that a lot of labor is involved here. I have sanded and sanded.. The pegs cost about .11 each w/shipping, but they are made of hickory and very smooth. The picture you posted is exactly what it looks like, it really works good with wool.

cestout
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I got intrigued by a knitting board a lady was using in the doctor's waiting room. I collected a BUNCH of pdf's from I think wikipedia. It is probably a larger one of those. About cost - I can't see that costing $200, and why not use 7ply 3/4 plywood and it won't break. Can you cut plywood on this thing?
Clint

jwhllh55
08-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I got intrigued by a knitting board a lady was using in the doctor's waiting room. I collected a BUNCH of pdf's from I think wikipedia. It is probably a larger one of those. About cost - I can't see that costing $200, and why not use 7ply 3/4 plywood and it won't break. Can you cut plywood on this thing?
Clint

The answer to your question about plywood, is plywood has to many rough edges for yarn or wool. However plywood would be stronger by far.
As for the price of $200, yea, it's a little over the top, but after design time and hand work and materials, $200 is cheap.. My shop gets $39 per hour. Production of the "S Loom" would cut the cost a lot, but still there is a lot of hand work to make it a finished product.

TIMCOSBY
08-28-2009, 01:38 AM
out of corian....no finishing...ready to sell.