PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the Quick Change

jonm3
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
:confused: How do you remove the Quick Change?? I just got the Quick Change tool and BROKE IT in ths same day. Now I have to hold off until next month until then may be I will buy another QC Tool from CW Parts. I even went so far to spend $8.50 at a Country Store for LockTight. I am down until next month, may things will be better.

rjustice
08-24-2009, 04:25 PM
:confused: How do you remove the Quick Change?? I just got the Quick Change tool and BROKE IT in ths same day. Now I have to hold off until next month until then may be I will buy another QC Tool from CW Parts. I even went so far to spend $8.50 at a Country Store for LockTight. I am down until next month, may things will be better.

HI jonm3,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with removing your QC. Please see this link for removing stubborn QC's http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,440
(it is the same one as the link below in my signature file)

I have used this method on over a dozen chucks now with success the first try on every one.

If you have questions feel free to email me if you wish.

Thanks,

Ron

jonm3
08-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I will try again next week. I will get a few more tools, like the propane torch to heat things up. I think my CarveWright QC is on there from the factory. I guess I didn't start the day right this early, early 3'sh morning and it ended when I broke the QC tool. Oh well, I will start over. I am starting to think about ordering your one kit where I change out the factory QC to your new Rock Chuck that you sell for $149.00. I will watch the video on YouTube enough.
Thanks Jon

HI jonm3,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with removing your QC. Please see this link for removing stubborn QC's http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,440
(it is the same one as the link below in my signature file)

I have used this method on over a dozen chucks now with success the first try on every one.

If you have questions feel free to email me if you wish.

Thanks,

Ron

supershingler
08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
jonm

you wont be dissappointed with the rock

i changed both of my machine over and what a difference. sound and vibrations are almost eliminated.

great product and quality throughout

just my thoughts

kendall

Rick P
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
The Rock Chuck is a great replacement for the QC !!!

geekviking
08-24-2009, 11:42 PM
A heck of a time trying to remove my QC from the Ztruck, but what I found out may save alot of hassle to us all breaking square adapters...

I had an old screw driver that was case hardened or something, it was way denser than any of my other ones, anyway the tip (standard, round shaft) was all worn on it, so I figured I'd try to square it up, & I sanded a flat spot about three inches up to grip the driver with some vicegrips. I put it to my belt sander (80 grit, I think) and squared it out to fit the square hole in the top of the ztruck, it went in almost a half an inch. I tried the torch with the 1/2 inch piece of round stock like Ron had suggested, and mine was at one point glowing & still would not break free! So I eventually took the ztruck off, inserted my square scewdriver tool I had made into my vise and tried the heat that way. Put it this way, I'm a big guy, and I had ALOT of heat on the 1/2 in. dowel in the bitholder and it still would not break free, AND I WAS PUTTING MY BODY WEIGHT INTO IT!
Seriously, It felt like I would loosen my vise from the table before the screwdriver would ever break... I even had to move up to the vise because the vise grips were turning slightly open.
Anyhow, I never got the thing apart, (I don't know if they welded mine together or what :)) but my point is, the screwdriver was taking tremendous amounts of torque and never even bent! So ,I'd suggest (maybe Ron?) someone should create a bit out of whatever they used to make old screwdrivers with to sell for QC removal, or do what I did, & grind one down if you have it.
My 2 cents... :cool:

jonm3
08-25-2009, 06:00 AM
thanks, I do have a few old screw drivers. I will try that.

A heck of a time trying to remove my QC from the Ztruck, but what I found out may save alot of hassle to us all breaking square adapters...

I had an old screw driver that was case hardened or something, it was way denser than any of my other ones, anyway the tip (standard, round shaft) was all worn on it, so I figured I'd try to square it up, & I sanded a flat spot about three inches up to grip the driver with some vicegrips. I put it to my belt sander (80 grit, I think) and squared it out to fit the square hole in the top of the ztruck, it went in almost a half an inch. I tried the torch with the 1/2 inch piece of round stock like Ron had suggested, and mine was at one point glowing & still would not break free! So I eventually took the ztruck off, inserted my square scewdriver tool I had made into my vise and tried the heat that way. Put it this way, I'm a big guy, and I had ALOT of heat on the 1/2 in. dowel in the bitholder and it still would not break free, AND I WAS PUTTING MY BODY WEIGHT INTO IT!
Seriously, It felt like I would loosen my vise from the table before the screwdriver would ever break... I even had to move up to the vise because the vise grips were turning slightly open.
Anyhow, I never got the thing apart, (I don't know if they welded mine together or what :)) but my point is, the screwdriver was taking tremendous amounts of torque and never even bent! So ,I'd suggest (maybe Ron?) someone should create a bit out of whatever they used to make old screwdrivers with to sell for QC removal, or do what I did, & grind one down if you have it.
My 2 cents... :cool: