PDA

View Full Version : First carve(s)~ My Initial Thoughts

Dan Frecks
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

I just finished my first couple of carves and thought I would offer my initial thoughts on the Carvewright for anyone who is interested.

It does beautiful work! On the optimal setting it is absolutely stunning. I have been carving mostly in redwood and have been very impressed.

The downside is that it is not a plug and play machine. You have to be willing to learn the thing and the software to make it work correctly. Some of my issues were:

1) Right out of the box I had low head pressure which was not fixed with lube. I had to add some washers to the handle, that they had hidden in another part of the machine, evidently cause this is often an issue. It took a lots of calls to get through to Customer Service but when I did they were helpful.

2) On my first try at a carve the machine had a board measurement issue. It gave me a front roller code. when I pushed up on the back roller I could hear a little switch click. When I pushed up on the front roller....no click. After perusing the forum. I took off the side panel and was able to locate and free a stuck little switch and voila...I'm carving!

3) On my second carve I got a bit read error. After cleaning everything in the machine I read the forum and ever so slightly tweaked (bent slightly upward) the bit plate, and now I am carving again.

4) After my last carve, I noticed that the front sandpaper belt seems to be drifting to the right even though my head pressure is fine, so I will tackle that proactively today I guess.

5) I have been a graphic artist for years and the software (admittedly from my perspective) is not terribly intuitive regarding sizing, merging, grouping etc... but this could just be cause I am so used to photoshop and designer so....

I guess I would tell any newbies like myself that this is a technical computer controlled machine that is a fairly sensitive piece of equipment. Lots to know and research to keep it running well, and lots of research required to figure out how to overcome errors when you get them. It is not a table saw or router from an upkeep, trouble shooting or maintenence perspective. Even right out of the box you cannot be afraid of having to dig in and tweak it to get it to work right, but when it does, it creates works of art.

There you go, my .02

Dan

liquidguitars
08-24-2009, 11:15 AM
4) After my last carve, I noticed that the front sandpaper belt seems to be drifting to the right even though my head pressure is fine, so I will tackle that proactively today I guess

the new rubber belts work the best, but a good fix is to cut 1/2" off the side of the belt that rubs or folds over it self " bad"
LG

DocWheeler
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Dan,

Congratulations on overcoming the initial problems, it seems that you had more than your share. I agree with your observations and the need to be willing to take it apart to make repairs.

Well done - and we hope to see many pictures of your completed works!

fwharris
08-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Dan,

Great summary of your first carves and your trouble shooting.

You are right on when you say this is not your typical woodshop machine. Lots of TLC will go a long way.

Dan Frecks
08-24-2009, 02:30 PM
the new rubber belts work the best, but a good fix is to cut 1/2" off the side of the belt that rubs or folds over it self " bad"
LG

I found the rubber belts for $99, but the machine ~being brand new~I would prefer to use these up at least for a while. Does the CW have a belt tracking adjustment like say a belt sander? This may be in the owners manual but I am away right now and don't have access to it.

Thanks all

Dan Frecks
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Dan,

Congratulations on overcoming the initial problems, it seems that you had more than your share. I agree with your observations and the need to be willing to take it apart to make repairs.

Well done - and we hope to see many pictures of your completed works!

Yeah Doc, we briefly considered taking it back to Sears for an exchange, but it would have taken a week to get a new machine, and besides we figured we're going to have to learn this stuff in the long run anyway.....so......

supershingler
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
dan
i think most on this forum have been in your shoes.

this is definately a machine that you have to learn before you can make it fly

i kind of compare it to a airplane. anyone with the money can buy an airplane but you have to learn how to fly if before you can see what it really can do for youl

my suggestion is to start simple and work your way up. it might take a while but you learn so much more.

the possibilities of the carver are endless if you have the patience to learn.

there is nothing like the WOW you get from people when they see what you have made.

good luck

kendall

Rick P
08-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Dan,
I would suggest you do a search on the Rock Chuck, which is a replacement for the QC that came with your machine. For many CW users the QC eventually becomes a major problem and for all CW users it is a maintenance pain. The Rock chuck will improve the carve quality and reduce the noise level.

Dan Frecks
08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Well, at the urging of all of you, and after reading lots of posts I ordered a Rock Chuck and it arrived today. I am afraid to make the change over cause it looks as though getting off the old QC can be a hassle, but hey it sounds like it is well worth the effort.

Now I just gotta figure out if all of the other bits I ordered for the QC can have the QC collar removed and be used with the Rock Chuck, cause I spent like $40 on them and they just arrived too. I also bought Centerline Text and am looking forward to trying that.

Meanwhile I love the way our initial sign carves are coming out. I will post some pics in the next couple of weeks as time allows

Dan-Woodman
08-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Have no feer, your router bits will fit . The adapters are now useless,but what the hea
I'm still using the CW QC for now ,til it craps out , so if you want to send me your useless adapters ,I'll give them a good home, and won't even charge you to take them off your hands.LOL
later Daniel