PDA

View Full Version : What happened here?

gumbo
08-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I will attach the ptn file and actual pics of the carve so maybe someone can tell me what happened. In the software the lines are lined up (for lack of a better term). But in the carving they are moved. Does anyone know why?

sk8nmike
08-23-2009, 06:29 AM
When you measure the lines in the design software they are not the same length. I'd set them all the same, re-align them and try the carve again.

TIMCOSBY
08-24-2009, 12:30 AM
slipped a little too.

swhitney
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
are you giving the board the extra 7 inches and "keep under rollers" command??? Also, a bit of blue painter's tape or masking tape along the edge which contacts the brass roller with o-ring may help maintain proper registration.

AskBud
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I will attach the ptn file and actual pics of the carve so maybe someone can tell me what happened. In the software the lines are lined up (for lack of a better term). But in the carving they are moved. Does anyone know why?

Your MPC is not the same as your photo(s). We really need to see the correct MPC.

Your vertical/upright lines are good, which points to the horizontal lines being designed poorly. Once you lay out the first one, and "Center" it on the horizontal, copy it and Paste all the others making sure they all get "Centered" the same way.

I would say that you do not have a "Machine" or wood problem. You just need a small design tweak.
AskBud

swhitney
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=AskBud;101029]Your MPC is not the same as your photo(s). We really need to see the correct MPC.

It may be the correct mpc, but if we do not have the specific font in our sytem, for example, the sharp (#) signs may appear as a different charachter????

gumbo
08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't understand what you mean that the mpc is not the same as the photo. As far as the # signs along with the other music notation symbols they are dingbats I found online. But the mpc that I included is the exact same that I transfered to the card to do the carving. Why would the fonts or dingbats used effect the lines that were drawn in designer, I am running designer using vista could this be part of the problem? I am not at my home computer but if it will help, when I get home I can attach the dingbats that I used.

roughcut
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't know a lot about this stuff either But I was wondering what the
Bezier is for could it be causing your problem...

cestout
08-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree with ask bud that you need definite attachments. Select each line and center it horizontally. The left mos line is attached to the left edge. I would unattached that and attach the center dot of that vertical line and all other to the center. Lock it all down.
Clint

HighTechOkie
08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Designer does not embed fonts with mpc file. If you have used a special font, either one downloaded online or one that was installed by another program, if we don't have that font on our computer, the characters we see when we open your mpc are different than what you see.

From the photos posted, it appears the board lost contact with the brass roller causing the lines to be off. Put a piece of masking tape on the bottom edge closest to the keypad and this will not happen. It looks like you are using melamine laminated shelf boards? The surface is so smooth that the board tracking sensor(brass roller) can slip and mis measure the amount the board has actually traveled.

Rob

gumbo
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
I was using a 1x12 pine board that was painted and then I applied a layer of contact paper to the surface. Its the contact paper that you see in the photos. The characters that you don't see are music cleffs and time a rest, that should be about all that I used that you cannot see. My issue is with the miss alligned lines, but if you think that the cause was that it lost contact with the rollers I understand. But are you suggesting that the fonts could have had something to do with it?

swhitney
08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
no, the fonts did not have anything to do with the mis-aligned staff lines. It still appears to me as tho the board slipped some. The contact paper may have been too smooth and not allowed the proper "grip"

Woodhacker
08-24-2009, 10:23 PM
"But are you suggesting that the fonts could have had something to do with it?"

Gumbo, unless you are using a program that embeds the fonts into the artwork itself, the fonts you use may not show up the same if someone else opens the artwork. This is true of ANY graphics program that does not embed the font. If you use Times New Roman for instance and I do not have that font on my computer, the program will substitute a different that will be the closest match. When that happens, I will see something different than you originally used in your artwork. Designer DOES NOT embed fonts. So, the person who opens your artwork (.mpc file) must have the same font you used in order to see it as it was designed. Your font does not have anything to do with what the folks are talking about. I also opened your file and saw that the lines were different lengths. That is part of your problem. However, as has been said already, I do believe your main problem is that your board slipped. Hope this Helps with the font question.

Richard

AskBud
08-24-2009, 11:53 PM
OK,
Let's put the slippage theory to rest.

Take a inexpensive board (perhaps pine) and run the project without changing anything.
If it is/was a slippage issue, you will have perfect placement.
If slippage is not the problem, the lines will be the same as your first carve, and you can begin to re-design your line placement.
AskBud.