PDA

View Full Version : Fonts ???

shabang
04-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Everybody has different fonts in their computers.

And some fonts come out better then others.

This is a 2 part question.

1st: What has everybody experienced with the use of fonts? Do you get better result using bigger letters then smaller? Does raster, outline or centerline work better for you?

2nd: This one is for the folks at CarveWright. Is there a list of fonts that you guys have that you could share so we know which ones come out decent looking.

I'm asking this because I have tried a bunch of different fonts and some come out good and some make me want to build a fireplace so I have a place to burn the scrap.

Thanks
Rob

yenne
04-13-2006, 03:06 PM
We bought a set of over 6000 fonts from a site on the Internet in order to test with a bunch of fonts. As you've experienced, some come out nicely and others look like, well, you know. It all depends on how well the font scales.

TrueType fonts have an interesting vectored design that allows for the font to insert or remove points from the path depending on how the font is scaled. A font that looks great at, say, 20 points may look terrible at 200 points if it does not scale well, or doesn't make use of splines, or inserts/removes points in an unsightly way, or who-knows what else.

The CarveWright software uses a high point size (like around 128 points per inch) to make fonts as smooth as possible when routed. This high point size can trigger unsightly blemishes in fonts that were not designed to draw that large. Most commercial fonts look fine, but many home-made fonts (like the ones from the 1000-font collections) look broken.

One alternative is to take the TrueType spline information from a font at a smaller point size, then manually scale it larger. However, the font engine we use in our software currently does not give us access to this information. We are looking into ways to get around this limitation.

I am spending about half my time actively finding ways to make fonts rout better, since this seems to be something our customers are very concerned about. Stay tuned, as things will continue to improve.

soomro
04-20-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't see nearly all the fonts in Carve Wright as I see when I click on the Fonts folder in the Control Panel. Also, I have downloaded some fonts off internet and installed it in the fonts folder in Control Panel. But how do I get them to into Carve Wright text box?

I appreciate anyone's help on this.

Thanks

yenne
04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Fonts you install should show up in the Text dialog. If they do not, you might try a reboot. Another reason why they may not show up is if they do not support the default language script style set in Windows before starting up the Designer.

Let me know,