PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck came today........

glassocean
08-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Hey guy's,
Well, the Rock finally came in the mail today, and I could not wait to put it on. I had previously removed the entire Z truck due to the fact I could not get the old CW chuck off.
I ordered the removal tool kit, along with my new chuck, and that was a good thing. I tried using a #3 square bit to take the old one off (as I have heard others have used), but it's way too small.
Since the Z truck was off already, I used a heat gun to heat the CW chuck, the 7/8" wrench, the square bit tool, and an air impact wrench. It only took a few minutes to get the old one off this way.

I installed the Rock, just as Ron's youtube video showed, with no problems.

Time for a test cut!

Being so excited, I forgot to use my ear plugs during the test cut. It was so much less noisy, I didn't even think about them until 5 minutes in.
I've also been having some issues with the flexshaft getting really hot, but not today. I can't say it's directly related to the new chuck, but I believe that it is. My circles were even round!

This new part may really make me like my machine again.

Thanks Ron!

Jeff

dbfletcher
08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I had the exact same experience. Before the rock chuck I had an ongoing love/hate relationship with my carvewright. Way too many problems.. way to much on broken bits.. way to much agravation. I'm now starting to enjoy this machine again. I have no hesitation in saying the rock chuck made all the difference for me.

I used to be scared to death to walk away from the machine for more than a few minutes becuase when I did something always went horrible wrong. Now i leave it carving all night and I have yet to wake up to any nasty suprises.

At first I thougth the price was a little high on the Rock, but after getting one and seeing the quality Ron has put in to this, it is worth every penny. I love my carvewright again.

A million thanks to Ron for an outstanding product.

Doug Fletcher

dholzric
08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I can't believe how much quieter it is with the new chuck.

SAA3840
08-23-2009, 01:50 AM
I too just received my "Rock". I haven't had time to install it yet, we're busy looking at houses. I do have one question though, has anyone used the "Rock" with a scanner yet? How's that gonna work? (I haven't even opened the package for my "Rock" yet so if it's obvious, I apologize)
Just wondering...

Kenm810
08-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi Mike,

Just remove the bit adapter that's on the probe -- fits and works fine in the Rock -- remember not to over tighten it. :wink:

rjustice
08-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Ken is right on with his answer. After you remove the bit adapter, there will be some burrs kicked up on the plastic stem. Just sand the burrs off till it slips into the chuck. When you tighten, slide the probe up and down till you feel it starting to snug up and not move by hand. It takes very little pressure to hold the probe, and if you over tighten it, you could deform the stem. If you are using the 1/4" version of the chuck this is really important, as the lock nut will be clamping directly on the stem. The 1/2" version will have the sleeve as an interface, and it will actually be easier on the stem.

Hope this helps!

Happy Carving,

Ron

SAA3840
08-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys, I haven't scanned anything in almost a year - when I scanned a single action revolver. I just wanted to know.

Thanks again.