PDA

View Full Version : Carving Through

James RS
08-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Ok, I made the design up in Sketchup and imported through some steps to Designer.
I measured the board with the CW and applied the measurements to the board in designer.
My problem is this, In designer I don't see any carving through the board, I have an outline set to cutout the parts with tabs. But the CW is carving through the board now, I'm attaching the Mpc the file uploaded is without the outline to show there's no carve through showing.Also when I angle the project in Designer it looks to be flush with the top as I want it to be. The actual carve isn't flush and is carving down a little bit

Thanks,
Jim

hogiewan
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
maybe the board is actually thinner than it measured the first time. Even with the CW, I measure twice and cut once

James RS
08-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought about that and measured the board with a digital caliper before the CW and it was the same. The only thing was when I tried applying the actual thickness in designer it gave me a warning. Here's a picture I just took you can see where it's carving down into the top

fwharris
08-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Ok, I made the design up in Sketchup and imported through some steps to Designer.
I measured the board with the CW and applied the measurements to the board in designer.
My problem is this, In designer I don't see any carving through the board, I have an outline set to cutout the parts with tabs. But the CW is carving through the board now, I'm attaching the Mpc the file uploaded is without the outline to show there's no carve through showing.Also when I angle the project in Designer it looks to be flush with the top as I want it to be. The actual carve isn't flush and is carving down a little bit

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

From what I can see on you mpc...pattern depth .500, board thickness .500. Carve through could be a measurement error with the machine.. When I do look at the back side I do see faint line of a cut through when I move the board angle..

When I run the mouse over the pattern it does show the height to be .051 so it is not even with the top of the board. Even with height at .999 it is still .002.

James RS
08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Jim,

From what I can see on you mpc...pattern depth .500, board thickness .500. Carve through could be a measurement error with the machine.. When I do look at the back side I do see faint line of a cut through when I move the board angle..

When I run the mouse over the pattern it does show the height to be .051 so it is not even with the top of the board. Even with height at .999 it is still .002.

Thanks,
Never looked at it that way, luckily I wasn't too far into the carve. I'm going to change the carve depth to .47 not sure what to do about the top though any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT:

Just remeasured the board 4 times and got these results .498 - .497 - .496 - .496

liquidguitars
08-22-2009, 12:32 PM
It nice that the bit is cutting deep as most of mine tend to cut above the bottom of the board, :rolleyes:

Try the Cal depth "keypad 06" program to adjust. but .50 is the smallest you can run without a sled right?.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
08-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I believe the variable is all this thickness measurement is the bit length.... Somehow the bit Flag plays into this. I know for thickness it touches the right side guide and the wood. I have often wondered how the bit plate dipping down to the pressure of the bit loading process works with all this...

Remember the indentations in the wood will make the measurement slightly different as it pokes deeper into the wood. Jogging slightly in X might give a more consistent measurement with virgin wood....

AL

James RS
08-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm carving in MDF

James RS
08-22-2009, 01:06 PM
It nice that the bit is cutting deep as most of mine tend to cut above the bottom of the board, :rolleyes:

Try the Cal depth "keypad 06" program to adjust. but .50 is the smallest you can run without a sled right?.

LG

Yes .50 is the smallest you can run without a sled, wondering if I just add my own tabs if I can remember how

James RS
08-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I just tried something with another pattern that is basically flat. I mad a heightmap and imported into Designer and saved it, when I loaded it onto the project board it read as I passed the mouse over it .002 the surrounding area was .000. I don't get it can someone enlighten me please, the greyscale was actually black so that would be flush correct?

I attached the file

Thanks,
Jim

dbfletcher
08-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought i had read in another post that this was "by design". A carving will always be slightly below the top surface. I beleive in the posts users spoke of using "shims" for when the machine does its "determining thickness of the board". That way they trick the machine in to thinking the board is actually 'x thousands' thicker than the actual board. I know there where posts about buying sets of index shims just for this purpose.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi James,

Here is a good example of using "groups" and additive to force the design to the top of the pattern.. now you can add sub objects and maintain your pattern integrity.

dbfletcher
08-22-2009, 08:54 PM
LG,

Very kewl. I didnt know that trick.

Doug

roughcut
08-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi James,

Here is a good example of using "groups" and additive to force the design to the top of the pattern.. now you can add sub objects and maintain your pattern integrity.

Would that let you use centerline text on the pattern

James RS
08-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi James,

Good Morning,
That's a cool tip LG, I messed around with that. but apparently didn't get the right combo.
I noticed the height change to 300, did you just keep trying different heights?

Thank you,
Jim

liquidguitars
08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Good Morning,
That's a cool tip LG, I messed around with that. but apparently didn't get the right combo.
I noticed the height change to 300, did you just keep trying different heights?

Thank you,
Jim

I played around with the height but did not help additive is the fix
as it looks at the object under it like photoshop.

with a height of 101 it still works.

Bill,
I think centerline works with additive merging. :)

LG

James RS
08-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the tip LG