PDA

View Full Version : Adding depth to patterns

hogiewan
08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
What are ya'll using to create patterns? I've got a drawing that I want to add depth to. What's the best way to do this?

Woodhacker
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Hogiewan...what sort of "drawing" are you talking about? A piece of clip art is awfully hard to add depth to. If it is something you have done in a drawing program, you may be able to import it into Designer as a pattern and then use Pattern Editor to tweak it some.

Richard

mtylerfl
08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
What are ya'll using to create patterns? I've got a drawing that I want to add depth to. What's the best way to do this?

Hello,

I use ArtCAM and/or Aspire software to create relief models from line drawings. (I generally do my line drawings in CorelDRAW, but that can also be done directly in either ArtCAM or Aspire, too.)

hogiewan
08-22-2009, 03:05 PM
How are the reliefs bundled with the CW made? Or how can I make something like that. I'm trying to play with ArtCam, but it's not very intuitive

Steven Alford
08-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah Michael, ArtCam is not that intuitive!!
You do great work with it and since you keep bringing it up, how about doing a tutorial on how to do some of what you said in the above post.;)

mtylerfl
08-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah Michael, ArtCam is not that intuitive!!
You do great work with it and since you keep bringing it up, how about doing a tutorial on how to do some of what you said in the above post.;)

Hi Steven,

Wish I had the time! Actually, I don't think I could improve any on the tutorials that come with the software already.

Steven Alford
08-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, it didn't hurt to try!!

mtylerfl
08-22-2009, 10:32 PM
How are the reliefs bundled with the CW made? Or how can I make something like that. I'm trying to play with ArtCam, but it's not very intuitive

Hello Hogiewan,

Most of those reliefs included with your CW were created with the scanning probe. (Maybe all of them were.) Lots of folks have great fun making their own patterns using the scanning probe. Dollar stores and garage sales are a couple sources for scanning "subjects"!;)

If you own ArtCAM then you also have the 500 page manual that came with it too. Run through the various Tutorials and you'll get the hang of it. Also, your dealer where you bought the software from is required to offer support - use them when you have questions, and strongly consider taking their 2 or 3-day training course. All ArtCAM dealers offer that to their customers.

You may want to check out the Aspire software (www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)) as well. It's a great program and may have a lower learning curve for you. Very comparable to ArtCAM, but about 1/5th the cost.

hogiewan
08-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I downloaded the demo of ArtCam express, but I have been going back and forth through a bunch of demos of software lately

mtylerfl
08-24-2009, 08:16 AM
I downloaded the demo of ArtCam express, but I have been going back and forth through a bunch of demos of software lately

Ok, try the Aspire demo as well (if you haven't already, that is). The Vectric website also has a few videos that demonstrate how the Aspire software works - I think you'll enjoy them.

I've heard of ArtCAM Express, but have no idea how it compares to the Pro version (i.e., what features might be missing as compared to Pro, etc.)

hogiewan
08-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Ok, try the Aspire demo as well (if you haven't already, that is). The Vectric website also has a few videos that demonstrate how the Aspire software works - I think you'll enjoy them.

I've heard of ArtCAM Express, but have no idea how it compares to the Pro version (i.e., what features might be missing as compared to Pro, etc.)

I haven't tried Aspire yet, but I definately will.

Steven Alford
08-24-2009, 05:31 PM

Correct me if I am wrong (and I usually am!!) but if I am not mistaken, the Express version does not have the tooling part of the software. You have to buy other software to then be able to do the tooling.
I would be curious as to where you were able to download the express version? I don't remember seeing it on their website.

badger
08-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Hello Hogiewan,

If you own ArtCAM then you also have the 500 page manual that came with it too. .

lol, dont have to use the word if. All you have to do is ask them if they have a Dongle... If they say uh, that answers your question.

:)

Steven Alford
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
lol, dont have to use the word if. All you have to do is ask them if they have a Dongle... If they say uh, that answers your question.

:)

Dongle????
Getting a little personal aren't you???:rolleyes:

geekviking
08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Only with his computer! LOL! :mrgreen:

badger
08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I would be curious as to where you were able to download the express version? I don't remember seeing it on their website.

You can find the info here on asking for the CD demo.

http://www.artcamexpress.com/contact/contact.htm

Steven Alford
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
You can find the info here on asking for the CD demo.

http://www.artcamexpress.com/contact/contact.htm

Thanks!!!!!!!

HighTechOkie
08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Here is a comparison of features between ArtCAM Express, Insignia and Pro.

http://www.artcam.com/upgrade_path/index.html

Rob

hogiewan
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I just downloaded a demo for Aspire and I am watching the videos on their site. I was curious about V-carve Pro. Are those vector paths possible to get into the CW?